Hacking Downgrade vs. Hardware-Mod

Go with downgrade or with fun little hardware-mod?

• Total voters

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's nice to see you completed your project :)
thanks for sharing it too.

Though, I wouldn't have put it over the NAND pins, in case you need to solder a NAND dumper.
looks like he already has the nand mod all wired up, 2 red wires are for the wifi mod, and the 4 black wires are the nand mod i assume

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Totally gonna do this soon :)

Not that i really need to, don't really go anywhere with my 3ds and have a local webserver set up here on my pc.

Just because i can and i like tinkering and modding stuff. haha

Compiling the sdk etc as i type this even though i don't have any of the esp8266 boards yet. :)

Plenty of them on ebay though :)

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Totally gonna do this soon :)

Not that i really need to, don't really go anywhere with my 3ds and have a local webserver set up here on my pc.

Just because i can and i like tinkering and modding stuff. haha

Compiling the sdk etc as i type this even though i don't have any of the esp8266 boards yet. :)

Plenty of them on ebay though :)
yeah i have decided to make one for fun :P...ddont even need it as i was on 4.x from the start so got no games needing 6.x encryption.....but it seemed like a fun little project :P

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Well that plan came to an end pretty quick after finishing building the sdk, go to build sleepy-httpd and no go :(

Yeah i was on 4.4 from the start but running 9.2 on sysnand atm.

Code:
shadowtrance@ubuntu:~/sleepy-httpd$ make
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc -Os -Iinclude -I. -Ilib/heatshrink -std=c99 -Werror -Wpointer-arith -Wundef -Wall -Wl,-EL -fno-inline-functions -nostdlib -mlongcalls -mtext-section-literals -D__ets__ -DICACHE_FLASH -Wno-address  -c -o user/auth.o user/auth.c
In file included from /home/shadowtrance/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/os_type.h:10:0,
                from /home/shadowtrance/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/user_interface.h:9,
                from user/auth.c:17:
/home/shadowtrance/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/ets_sys.h:14:1: error: unknown type name 'uint32_t'
typedef uint32_t ETSSignal;
^
/home/shadowtrance/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/ets_sys.h:15:1: error: unknown type name 'uint32_t'
typedef uint32_t ETSParam;
^
/home/shadowtrance/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/ets_sys.h:27:1: error: unknown type name 'uint32_t'
typedef uint32_t ETSHandle;
^
/home/shadowtrance/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/ets_sys.h:32:5: error: unknown type name 'uint32_t'
    uint32_t              timer_expire;
    ^
/home/shadowtrance/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/ets_sys.h:33:5: error: unknown type name 'uint32_t'
    uint32_t              timer_period;
    ^
make: *** [user/auth.o] Error 1

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Change the title and add "[Tutorial]" and request to have this added to the Tutorial section.

well, it's not a tutorial, so no, won't want it changed and/or moved.

looks like he already has the nand mod all wired up, 2 red wires are for the wifi mod, and the 4 black wires are the nand mod i assume

yup.

Somehow, even after he's completed the HW mod, people are still voting and now they say he should downgrade. :rolleyes:

well, it wasn't really going to influence my decision anyway, i kinda just created the poll out of pure interest

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
/home/shadowtrance/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/ets_sys.h:33:5: error: unknown type name 'uint32_t'
uint32_t timer_period;
^
make: *** [user/auth.o] Error 1[/CODE]

mh, can you look in that ets_sys.h file, and see if there is a line "#include <c_types.h>" after "#define _ETS_SYS_H"? i may have added that in my sdk, i'm not entirely sure, so if it's missing add the line and try again..

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
mh, can you look in that ets_sys.h file, and see if there is a line "#include <c_types.h>" after "#define _ETS_SYS_H"? i may have added that in my sdk, i'm not entirely sure, so if it's missing add the line and try again..

Yep that's already there.

Only file I've changed in anything is the user_main.c timeout part.

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just wanted to let you know that 3ds standby battery discharge with this mod seems to be completely normal, no absurdly high battery drain or anything :)

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yep that's already there.

Only file I've changed in anything is the user_main.c timeout part.

I probably placed "#include <c_types.h>" in another file or something, I'll try building the toolchain on a different computer in the next few days anyway, so I'll have a look at what exactly i touched to get it working.

Reactions: thorasgar

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Haha needed the toolchain right now, so i build it, and found the problem quickly...

Open "xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/c_types.h", at the top there is "#if 0" over the uint*_t definitions, replace that with "#if 1", fixed...

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Haha needed the toolchain right now, so i build it, and found the problem quickly...

Open "xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/include/c_types.h", at the top there is "#if 0" over the uint*_t definitions, replace that with "#if 1", fixed...

Cool. That did the trick. :) Now i have some bin files to burn and nothing to burn em to. haha

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
use a old NDS flashcard, and put it in the case....plug n play wifi host XD

Hey I really liked this "solution".
Maybe get an old DS flashcard and "cut the traces leading to the chip itself" then finding a GND and 3.3V for doing this "plug 'n play wifi host.

I wonder if that's possible...

EDIT:
I thought on something like this:
210c0wj.jpg

Cut the traces, unsolder every component or actually cut the board and then fit the esp8266 somewhere in the place.
The VCC marked pin is actually 3.3v :) Isn't that sweet?!

Reactions: MrJason005

lukas_2511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cut the traces, unsolder every component or actually cut the board and then fit the esp8266 somewhere in the place.
The VCC marked pin is actually 3.3v :) Isn't that sweet?!

The thing is, one of the uses for this was launching gateway without having to carry anything else with me, not even a second card. But if anyone wants to do this, it should actually work just fine.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The thing is, one of the uses for this was launching gateway without having to carry anything else with me, not even a second card. But if anyone wants to do this, it should actually work just fine.

Cool!
I just sent you a PM asking about this the same time you answered the thread. :)

Yeah, I remember the purpose of your thread and it's cooler to have a single solution.

Thanks for commenting :)

Cheers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay