Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So on the ball is RPS that the first post even slightly related to spooky goings-on we’ve run this week comes a full day after Hallowe’en. That’s just our shtick – spurning pagan festivals is what we do, as is being too lazy/non-cynical to compile ‘TOP TEN SCARIEST NOSES IN VIDEOGAMES’ posts to farm traffic.

Spooky this really isn't, but it does concern aged, ultra-darkened, infamous manshoot Doom 3, the long-awaited source code release for which is finally near. “DOOM 3 source is packaged and tested, we are waiting on final lawyer clearance for release,” claimed id tech guru and lover of non-existent drivers John Carmack on the Twitters yesterday. So, in theory, an enormous amount of unfettered access to the still-power id Tech 4 could arrive in modders’ and developers’ hands any day now. I reckon some quite amazing indie/amateur stuff could be created off the back of it.

Great news! While Doom 3 hasn't quite aged too well (for me anyway) it could be a great thing for not just indie game development but also for porting this to other formats...Doom 3 Wii? I really don't know, there was an official Xbox version so maybe though I've not actually seen that port or know if it would need to be scaled down much.

http://www.rockpaper...-3-source-code/
https://twitter.com/...043043469041665

supersonic124

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn this is cool. It's gonna be exciting to see what people do with it when it gets released. A Doom 3 port on the Wii/360/PS3 with HD or motion controls would be cool.

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Doom 3 looked good at the time. Now it's just meh. Although D3 still has better textures than Rage /troll

Anyhow I'm interested what the indie scene's gonna do with this one.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
An SDK is not the same thing as source code. Especially in this case, the Source SDK is only for creating game content for existing games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-