Hacking Donkey Kong Returns Disk Update

Black_Knight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, you're asking "What the hell? You got homebrew, there's a way to just deactivate these updates." Two things, Been modding, restoring and reworking my Wii for the past 2 years and it's a mess. Trucha Bug doesn't work (When ever I try to reactivate it, it just puts me in an endless loop of 'do this other thing first' and it would feel better just to reset most things and just reinstall stuff instead of only having access to about 3/4 of everything. 2. That 4.3 wanakano update that puts 'Wan' in what you system you have, is just a giant eyesore for me. I hate it.

So, more than going the route of deactivating disk system updates (I forgot how to do that), anything else I can do to try and get back what was lost over the times, and get rid of that 'wan.' or should I just go through with the disk update and see what happens? (The obvious being homebrew gets deleted or I get bricked.)

borissaid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rumour has it that its just 4.3 systemmenu... so just update your HBC first and you'll be fine. My experience has been that Hermes 5.1 cios's dont get overwritten and neither do newer Wanin releases so if they are current they'll be fine. You could always install ios236 first to be safe.

Unfortune

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
Try using xzxero's mod guide from the start, including the update part. After that, install DARKCORP which will not only let you play backups from the disc channel, but also trucha patch all IOS's.

borissaid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both options would work, it depends what you want to do. If you're just USB loading, trucha patching all the ios's doesnt make alot of sense. Plus, then you might run into issues with Shop channel.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT INSTALL DARKCORP

It causes many problems. Just search the forums for darkcorp and uninstall and you'll see what I mean.

Use ModMii or DOP-Mii (MAKE SURE NOT TO INSTALL STUB IOS). You could probably update your HBC and then update your Wii to 4.3 through Internet update and re-patch everything in less than 20 minutes. Then install Priiloader and skip disc updates.

Unfortune

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
W hat said:
DO NOT INSTALL DARKCORP

It causes many problems.

What? DARKCORP doesn't cause any problems
mellow.gif

Black_Knight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed everything to run Metroid Other M so all the needed mods are in place (ios236, etc), so I'm betting this is a repeat. Anyways. I might as well make a backup of all my major saves just encase the worse case occurs.

I'M UPDATING VIA DISK CHANNEL, STAND THE FUCK BACK

Edit: Gonna be delayed. the Savegame manager DX I downloaded from the homebrew browser freezes and says 'no save games.' Which kinda shows the issues I'm having as is. And the normal save game manager just gave me a DSI error screen.

This is gonna be a long night.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you really want to update just use the online update. there really is no reason to do this man. just update your IOS's and you'll be good.

Black_Knight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, none of the save data managers are working, getting various errors or they say nothing is found. Any ideas what the heck is going on?

x_r3ap3r_x

Trophies
XP
Wouldn't it be easier to just grab a spare 4GB flash drive, throw wiiflow on it, launch wiiflow, copy game to flash drive, PLAY!!

Or install priiloader 0.5 and block disc updates.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use the Gecko os to launch the game. you can also use any a backup launcher to launch a officla disc. both methods bypass the update. if you need a new ios the Gecko os will install it for you.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
Unfortune said:
What? DARKCORP doesn't cause any problems
mellow.gif
It causes lots of issues.

it can yeah. I never used any of those tools. I dont mess with the system menu. My system menu is 3.2U. I use Uloader to load my games. Uloader will also boot dvds

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@all the people saying how to skip updates:
The OP doesn't just want a way to load the disk without updating. They just want to rehack their wii from scratch. So you don't have to give suggestions on how to load disks and skip the update, because that's not really what they are looking for.

@Black_Night:
Why not just use the default wii save game manager in the wii settings, and use priiloader to let you copy all the blocked saves (If you have or can install priiloader). Updating your wii won't affect the saves anyway, unless it is bricked. If you have bootmii I would suggest making a NAND backup, just in case.

Also, Darkorp is usually OK, but it is known to cause problems, not to mention the fact that USB loaders are far better in my opinion.

Black_Knight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
x_r3ap3r_x said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just grab a spare 4GB flash drive, throw wiiflow on it, launch wiiflow, copy game to flash drive, PLAY!!

It would be, but believe it or don't. I'm an honorable gamer and Buy all the games I play. I have homebrew more for the emulation (aka Tecmo Super Bowl) And certain channels (Earthbound).

I was doing the save manager as a back up in case the worst occurred, but I'm still having issues. Shows how wonky my current set is.

Black_Knight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the disk update, nothing changed at first glance, even that damn u4.3 'Wan.' is still there.

I might as well just keep an archive of my saves anyway. I'll give you want suggested a shot person66.

HiroshiYamauchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Black_Knight said:
x_r3ap3r_x said:

It would be, but believe it or don't. I'm an honorable gamer and Buy all the games I play. I have homebrew more for the emulation (aka Tecmo Super Bowl) And certain channels (Earthbound).

I was doing the save manager as a back up in case the worst occurred, but I'm still having issues. Shows how wonky my current set is.

But doing what x_r3ap3r_x said wouldn't hurt your honour because, as you said, you bought the game. I did the same with Metroid - Other M, i have the game, but i only play it through USB loaders.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up