Hacking Done Thinking For Myself - 3DSXL FW 8.4 Stupidly Spoofed to GW3D 9.8.0-25U

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so like a lot of people U updated in GW mode today. Well I can't play my ROMs but I can bring up the GW menu. I end up f*cking things up too much thinking for myself. When people talked about backups for NANDs I just backed up my entire SD card to save everything, that works right? Anyways when I bought AoT for the scene (you know what I mean, everybody wanted it and somebody had to do it), I believe I backed up my 4 GB card. I think I also did it a week ago when I let my fiancee play Animal Crossing just incase she hit the wrong button. So what are my options? How can I downgrade GW mode and keep AoT as well? Do I just replace my 4GB card with the older data and keep the recent .sav files? Or do I downgrade it from GW mode? What are my options here and can somebody please walk me through it? Please? I had to take the 4GB card out of my old reg 3DS to download AoT for you guys which untied having the same profiles and being able to play AoT on both of my 3DS' by just swapping the SD card I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag saying you guys owe me cuz I took one for the team lol but I work and don't have much time hence my noobieness so pretty please some help?
For future reference, when a new version is released, DO NOT update until after you have seen confirmation that it works. Gateway hooks into the Home Menu's functions to be able to do things like bring up the rom menu, and because of that, the hooks tend to be fairly fragile. Especially since Nintendo tends to change just enough to break things when they release updates. When a system update changes very little, though, it usually only takes a day or two for Gateway to release an update.

When you ARE updating, ALWAYS make a backup of your emuNand. The emuNand resides on a separate partition of your SD card, not in the filesystem visible through Windows.
Normal SD card: [[------- FAT32 partition --------]]
EmuNand SD card: [[emuNand] [-- FAT32 partition --]]
Windows will only show the FAT32 partition, because it doesn't know how to read the emuNand partition natively. The easiest way to manage it is to use the EmuNand Tool available on the forum. It's very simple and straightfoward, allows you to extract a copy of your emuNand and inject a saved copy back onto a card. If anything goes wrong with the update, you can just restore your backup, and nothing is lost. Copying files off the SD card isn't enough to back up the emuNand.

Always research before doing any kind of changes to your system. If you are unsure if something will work, ask first. Asking questions is how to learn, so never feel bad about asking. Just keep in mind that you are asking people to take the time and effort to answer your questions, and be respectful and courteous. If you do get an answer that helps, be grateful.

For your specific situation, you're in luck. Gateway has released an update today that solves your issue. Simply download the new launcher, put the new Launcher.dat onto the root of your system SD card, and you're good to go. Your 9.8 emuNand will work perfectly fine, no need to deal with downgrading or anything else this time. It's still good to read through the threads, so you have an idea of how the process works in case you do need it in the future, though. That way you'll know what to look for, as well as understand the way the system works better.

Swing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just formatted my memory card. F*ck. Now what do I do becaause I can't get anything to work.

Swing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixed, well at least I can get on gateway and load my old ROMS and saves but how safe is it to restore my NAND? I mean I backed up my SD card but I've used it on my reg 3DS then I used it on my XL to install AoT so essentially it's been used on 2 systems and I don't want to brick it...

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You only need to worry about EmuNand if you're using gateway, right?
Because I copied my SD card to another card and PASTA with CN NH still works.
I'm not too familiar with how the various CFWs work, including Pasta, but I believe they usually run as a layer over sysNand rather than having a complete emuNand. If you aren't using a solution that includes an emuNand, then you don't need to worry about it.

Reactions: FirstLady

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up