• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Donald Trump thinks there should be rating boards for movies and video games.

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
You're the one who's saying that there's an issue, I'm merely asking what kind of warnings you'd like to see because I thought the current system was clear enough at providing a brief description/overview.

No not to rewrite the whole ERSB but to provide an example, for example, here's the rating for Halo 5 'Teen: Blood, Mild Language, Violence'.

What kind of label would you like to see that would be clearer?

I don't know. I never said there should be one, I said perhaps what trump is saying is the current system should be overhauled. As to what, I have no idea, not for anything but lack of opinion due to never having thought about it. Because I've never had or wanted to. Simples.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. I never said there should be one, I said perhaps what trump is saying is the current system should be overhauled. As to what, I have no idea, not for anything but lack of opinion due to never having thought about it. Because I've never had or wanted to. Simples.
I would agree with you in terms of playing devil's advocate and assuming that maybe there's a bit more meat to Trump's statement than what's on the surface, if it weren't for the fact that Trump has a history of both making very shallow statements and commenting on things that he has virtually no understanding of

One such example that comes to mind off the top of my head is "They're using clean coal, folks! They take it out and they clean it" *while making a scrubbing/polishing motion*

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not sure what he's trying to get at either. You specifically said coal and didn't even mention the word mining and, as far as I know, most coal mines don't dig up anything but coal.
I guess to be fair, coal gets processed into steel, but that has a very low carbon footprint and if anything that's the only thing that was still keeping the mines open already, when coal-powered energy creation was on a decline

Reactions: lexarvn

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

I asked because you said:

Yes but as I said earlier violence has certain levels, and gore does also. It needs further clarification.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SonowRaevius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play DOOM 2016; do you see me shooting up schools and killing people IRL!?

Nope... maybe because I am an adult, and I wouldn't let my five-twelve year old's play Call of Duty or horrific games.
To be completely fair on this I know plenty of kids from 8-13 that play or have played M rated games and it never effected them and they didn't act out any worse than they did before, some of them were actually really well behaved kids that just liked the games.

Before anyone tries to insinuate anything, these kids were cousins, nieces, and nephews that I babysat.

Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
skipping all the sensational clickbait garbage headlines
he is suggesting a revaluation of the current system, extreme violence (decapitated heads, rip/blow limbs off) is pretty easy to obtain a T ratting while any type of sexuality (even suggestive) automatically gets a M-AO ratting
He said none of that and he's going to do none of that, so why bother being an apologist when he's being this moronic? The headline is literally what he said, you can watch the video footage FFS.

And again, we all fucking know that video games and movies are not the problem here. It's easy accessibility of assault weapons and full-auto modifiers. Nobody ever killed 20+ people with a DVD copy of Pulp Fiction.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
To be completely fair on this I know plenty of kids from 8-13 that play or have played M rated games and it never effected them and they didn't act out any worse than they did before, some of them were actually really well behaved kids that just liked the games.

Before anyone tries to insinuate anything, these kids were cousins, nieces, and nephews that I babysat.
Well the rating is there for a reason. But of course, that last part of mine was more light and sarcastic than my true opinion. Which would be; if a kid can't handle those types of games, then they shouldn't play them. Or if the parent doesn't wish for them to do so. Either way, games usually are never an issue with gun violence. It's simply a piss poor excuse for feminists and moms to use. If of course, Trump is a full time mom; then he counts as well.

SonowRaevius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the rating is there for a reason. But of course, that last part of mine was more light and sarcastic than my true opinion. Which would be; if a kid can't handle those types of games, then they shouldn't play them. Or if the parent doesn't wish for them to do so. Either way, games usually are never an issue with gun violence. It's simply a piss poor excuse for feminists and moms to use. If of course, Trump is a full time mom; then he counts as well.
My apologies there then as I just misunderstood. I completely agree with you on all this.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said none of that and he's going to do none of that, so why bother being an apologist when he's being this moronic? The headline is literally what he said, you can watch the video footage FFS.
I kinda did watch it live while it was happening, not filtered through some liberal fake news site, or late night comedians
but hey, what do I know

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
My apologies there then as I just misunderstood. I completely agree with you on all this.
Yeah, again there is already a System in place to recommend a certain age for games. Then again, most people ignore it. A majority of those people are usually just kids or teens that know they can handle those games fine. Some kids can't; either they will be scarred for life, or they will possibly have a distorted mindset. Which seems to be few and far between. So using the argument that Trump was attempting or at least hinting at is shit. I support him as a president; but as humans, we don't always agree on things.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I kinda did watch it live while it was happening, not filtered through some liberal fake news site, or late night comedians
but hey, what do I know
As did I, and you're delusional if you think your interpretation changes what the man actually said. They didn't edit the video, you can still find the full quote in context, and it's still beyond retarded. As in, calling that statement retarded would be an insult to the mental capacity of disabled people.

But hey, it's just the same bullshit line about video games and movies being responsible that conservatives have been spouting for ages, he simply found a new, extraordinarily stupid way to express an already stupid idea. Obama could've had three strokes and he still wouldn't be down at Trump's current level, this shit is getting ridiculous whether you like to admit it or not.

Last edited by Xzi,

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
But hey, it's just the same bullshit line about video games and movies being responsible that conservatives have been spouting for ages
I wonder~ Have politicians ever spouted that Tetris back in the 80s made kids wanna kill people with bricks; or not? :unsure:

EDIT:

Oh wait, that was feminists. My bad :3

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: