Doing things alone. Do people feel awkward?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So saw various mentions of this in different things and thought it odd. Note this is social anxiety rather than some form of clinical thing you speak to a trick cyclist for.

Anyway if doing something like going to a bar, a restaurant, a leisure activity (can specify if you want -- cinemas, sports, art gallery, music festival...) do you feel awkward if not with a significant other or with friends?

It is not a notion I have ever encountered before prior to mention in some internet comments and videos, much less experienced myself. Closest I have ever got is in some pubs there is an expectation you are a customer if you are in there and I was waiting in the dry for friends to turn up which is not really the same thing.
Equally I am hardly the most extroverted person out there (if at all really) -- this is a hacker centric computer game forum after all. Or if you prefer I don't even like speaking to new people on the phone, and have actively avoided making calls*, possibly to the point of losing out on things, in the past because of it. Idle chit chat at the till is also something I am none too fond of and will spend many minutes looking for things before asking for help from shop workers rather than bother them (and it is my bothering them that is the concern rather than appearing as though I don't know the location of everything, ever).
Edit got a better one still. I don't think I have ever started a conversation with someone I do not know. Had plenty started and continued for hours but never actually started one.

*no problem with talking to scammers on the phone for hours on end running them in circles. That I do for fun and to pass the time while I read things. Likewise if at the various places above then should someone start speaking to me then I am more than happy to engage in conversation.

But yeah I have never experienced anything like this myself, nor with any friend, passing acquaintance, conversation overhead in public. If some friends want to tag along or invite me to something then great, otherwise it is what it is. I have done this in countries I don't speak the language for, in places I don't know (granted no map, no phone, no gps, nobody knows where I am or what I am doing, no plan and just wander and see what goes is a favourite activity). Never had any comments, never had any particularly notable differences in approach by staff (you have the usual "if you turn up to a nightclub with several pretty ladies in tow then they won't care about being in trainers or anything that normally gets you the "not tonight" routine" but that hardly counts in this) and never had it noted in otherwise more than scandalous gossip that goes on out of earshot in such places (I go in many because fixing things). The internet discussions though made it seem like a somewhat widespread, maybe even taboo, thing.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Kind of, although that may simply be because I just don't really go out and do things by myself really. I am the dictionary definition of a "homebody", if I'm ever dragged out and about to do something for "fun" 100% of the time I'll be going with/meeting someone at wherever I'm going. I expect if I were to ever go out and do one of those things by myself I might feel odd/awkward, but only in the sense that I usually have someone to converse with so missing that absence of interaction may feel weird, and not so much that "oh it's so weird and awkward just being here by myself oh boy I bet people think that's weird and think I'm weird"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo