Hardware Does the Wii support anit-aliasing?

domo kun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I searched this up a bit and found very mixed answers so I decided to ask. Now I know what anti-aliasing is and I know that every 64bit+ console supports it but I wanted to know if the Wii supports 4x msaa or more. And if so, which games do so because I've noticed a lot of jaggies on most games I've played.

WhiteWingedKnigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anti-aliasing in a wii game, Maybe there are some games that use it vaguely. Prime 3?

I'm not sure, but unless your someone who gets bugged alot by jagged lines, then AA shouldn't matter.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it supports it BUT it is very expensive computationally--even the vast, vast majority of X360 titles don't use more than 2xAA.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, Anti-Aliasing uses up more resources than its worth. On PC games, it's the last thing I think about whacking up. And jaggies are more down to design and low polys than a lack of AA.

Besides, unless I'm wrong, you can't 'support' anti-aliasing as it depends on how well you use the resources and what form Anti-Aliasing takes.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pro evolution soccer 2008 has great AA, no jaggies whatsoever (a little exaggeration, but almost no jaggies).

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what equivalent of an ATI Radeon it has in it, but I can GUARANTEE that the Wii does indeed have some AA abilities. ALL Radeon cards do. Thing is, the Wii is such a weak system (relatively speaking) that most games are pushing the system so hard that they can't afford the framerate hit it would take to enable the feature and I think most companies can't be arsed to optimize a game before pushing it out the door so they could turn AA on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.