Hardware Does the Mayflash GC to Wii U adapter work well?

Woosh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since the Gamepad is really damn clunky and I've used the GC controller for all things Smash related, I was curious if this adapter was a good idea to purchase.

For the record, I'm mostly concerned about how durable it is, if there's any input lag and all that kind of stuff. Alternatively, would it be a good idea to just wait for another release of the official adapters?

Thanks!

joepassive

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I own the first one and i can tell you theres no lag. tried it with smash bros once and it was good and with other wii u games it works really good (like mario kart 8 and sonic all stars transformed)

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I own the first one and i can tell you theres no lag. tried it with smash bros once and it was good and with other wii u games it works really good (like mario kart 8 and sonic all stars transformed)

There is a noticeable lag. I've measured (using a GameCube arcade stick as reference controller and a high-speed 120fps camera that I normally use for documentary work) that with the Mayflash adapter there is a worst case 3 frame lag, usually 1 frame lag when playing.

You have to remember the chain goes something like this:

GameCube controller > Mayflash mapper (simulating a Classic Controller) > Mayflash turbo interpreter (can be turned off) > Wiimote > Bluetooth connection > Wii U
vs.
GameCube controller > Nintendo adapter (direct USB connection) > Wii U

My advice is to not use turbo at all, as it adds another frame of input lag. In intense situations (a lot of inputs), the Mayflash adapter suffers from a short buffer and will increase the lag to up to 3 frames. Playing offline against a friend I've noticed just how much lag the Mayflash adapter adds to the equation.

Does 1-3 frames of continuous lag affect gameplay? If you play for fun, not so much. If you play competitively / want to get good at the game, then don't touch the Mayflash adapter. The end.

Reactions: SonicRings

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
In my experience, yes. Just note that plugging in the GC controller makes it feel like it's broken.

Hmm... May be a fluctuation in build quality? My Mayflash adapter is solid as rock. I bought mine from Play-Asia (mind you, not the green Play-Asia edition, but the black one).

joeyjoey396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one and I honestly wouldn't recommend it. Pausing the controller is a pain and there is some lag which may or may not be important depending on what games you play. It does work with the Wavebird controllers but you have to jiggle the receiver a lot and unplug and plug it in for it to work every few minutes.

If you want to get something for Smash I would suggest buying a Hori Battle Pad. It's shaped like a GC controller and plugs into the Wiimote as a classic controller. I don't have one myself but I've read countless reviews and a friend of mine bought one and says it's great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1