Hacking Does the Back Light on the DS become Dimmer over time?

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No why would it? uhm have you considered common sense? like try lighting a light bulb for a year... if it gets dimmer tell me

m12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cris92x said:
No why would it? uhm have you considered common sense? like try lighting a light bulb for a year... if it gets dimmer tell me

My light bulb does get dimmer.

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
m12 said:
cris92x said:

Thats strange... :S

But yeah the DS screens are SUPER HIGH-TECH and will not fade over time unless it's like a hundred years, when we're onto the next nintendo creation.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
m12 said:
cris92x said:

Light bulbs can be different

Some of mine do
Some don't

You probably have no idea which one the DS uses
Unless you wanna open it and find out

Then buy one of those and keep it on for a year
Then posts the results

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The DS's screens use white LED backlights, which do indeed grow dimmer over time:

http://www.nickhill.co.uk/white_LED_life_expectancy.html

I've no idea what the rated lifespan of the LEDs used in the DS screens is (it's probably different from model to model as Nintendo have used various panels from different manufacturers), but they are in the order of tens of thousands of hours (and they are considered to have reached the "end" of their lifespan when their brightness is down to 50% of what it was new). So yes, if you play your DS a lot, you may well notice some dimming over the course of a few years. White LEDs have better lifespans than the CFL lamps used in many larger LCD screens (not to mention a fraction of the power consumption - remember the Sega Game Gear and Atari Lynx, which would suck six AA batteries dry in three hours?).

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although this is true, they don't gradually grow dimmer, they more or less just go all out downhill towards the end, as is usual with most LEDs (Have nothing to do with how lightbulbs work rly for the most part)

In any case, the life-expetency of TFT LCDs overall is supposedly very long. I can tell you that I have had my DS Phat for 3~4 years now (Day it came out, broke a month or so back) and I never noticed any progressive dimming in the backlights)

I've had my current DS Lite for a year and the same can be said, used every day, usually for 4~15 hours a day. They're expected to last 'millions of touches' and I've probably hit at least 1m touches already. :/

genuisgeek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dont think the ds uses LED it just doesnt seem relavent to me cuz if it did wouldnt it appear as a light source coming from multiple LEDs which make some areas dimmer(which it doesn)

unless the LED are extremely small and have lots of them under the screen

i think the same backlight comes from other LCD screens

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look up TFT LCD and you'll see how it works, although there are also tiny LEDs or so it's said on wikipedia, which explains the varying levels of brightness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted +1