Hacking Does Nintendo care anymore?

Elveman

Just passing by
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Yeah, people told the same the last year after c3 when 10.3 was out. Don't worry about those pesky exploits not being patched and give them some time

Reactions: Hyoretsu

Daniel41550

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a friend working at Nintendo UK, he tells me that they do know and monitor the advancements in the hacking community. He does tell me that all they can do is remote ban/brick consoles they know have hacked (ergo playing games before release or calling in and saying something like "I downloaded a game online and it won't install) trust me there are idiots out there. So yes. Nintendo care but the nature of these hacks kinda tie their hands up
Nintendo can remotely brick your console? Isn't that illegal?

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They don't? CFW = Piracy, which makes them lose money. If they didn't care about CFW, why would they be patching it? At this time of writing, anybody can get almost every game on 3ds for free, wouldn't that make Nintendo want to fix it?
CFW=ability for piracy. Some users have a9lh, but don't have freeShop, or CIAngel or install CIAs with FBI.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Icirrus

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo can remotely brick your console? Isn't that illegal?
Yeah, they can actually see more than you think. That's why people advise against going online with games that aren't released or going online with public headers. Problem is they can't distinguish between people who've bought games legally as opposed to something like Freeshop. They can brick since doing something like playing a game early (and illegally) breaches their terms of service and they are allowed

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
When you mod your console you're actually breaking the Nintendo 3DS EULA you agree to when you get the console.
So yeah, they're on their right to do so.
The EULA is just for online services. They could only block you from online services, not brick your console. You don't have to agree to anything when you open the box your console comes in.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a friend working at Nintendo UK, he tells me that they do know and monitor the advancements in the hacking community. He does tell me that all they can do is remote ban/brick consoles they know have hacked (ergo playing games before release or calling in and saying something like "I downloaded a game online and it won't install) trust me there are idiots out there. So yes. Nintendo care but the nature of these hacks kinda tie their hands up
Serously? How? Do they send you a update specifically to your console and then you brick?

WannyTiggah

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The EULA is just for online services. They could only block you from online services, not brick your console. You don't have to agree to anything when you open the box your console comes in.
WRONG.

From http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp, section Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo 3DS XL -> End User License Agreement (EULA):

1. Software License
You may use the software, content, and data that came with your Nintendo 3DS or that is compatible with and authorized for use on your Nintendo 3DS, including any updates or replacement to that software, content, or data that we or our authorized providers make available to you (collectively, the "Software") subject to the terms of this EULA. The Software is licensed, not sold, to you solely for your personal, noncommercial use on your Nintendo 3DS. You may not publish, copy, modify, reverse engineer, lease, rent, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, tamper with, or circumvent any of the functions or protections of your Nintendo 3DS, unless otherwise permitted by law. The Nintendo 3DS handheld video game system and accessories, the Software, and any services available using the Nintendo 3DS (collectively, the "Nintendo 3DS System"), are constantly evolving, and we may update or change your Nintendo 3DS System, in whole or in part, without notice to you. Such updates or changes may be required for you to play new Nintendo 3DS games, enjoy new features, or continue to access Nintendo 3DS services. After your Nintendo 3DS System is updated or changed, any existing or future unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS System, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your Nintendo 3DS System, will render the system permanently unplayable. Content obtained through the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS System will be removed. You agree not to use your Nintendo 3DS System in an unlawful manner or to access the systems, devices, accounts, or data of others (including Nintendo) without their (or our) consent.

Bold for emphasis

Last edited by WannyTiggah,

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are out of your mind if you think Nintendo can push updates out 1 patch at a time. They will fix three things and redesign two others to change the keys on everything. If you don't think they see every commit on those hax Githubs, you're wrong. They have taken note of the PS3 and PSP fiascos and didn't make any of those mistakes.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

memcpy

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They do care, they started bug bounty program. Goal of bug bounty programs is to patch vulnerabilities before they can be used in exploits. So now big N is paying for bugs means they care.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard of Nintendo intentionally bricking a console, but they're probably well within their right to do so if there's been an unauthorized modification to the system.
I don't think that there is evidence that Nintendo can remotely brick a specific console and it'd probably be very legally dubious.

They absolutely can and will ban your ass though.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WRONG.

From http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp, section Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo 3DS XL -> End User License Agreement (EULA):
The only eula in the world you can switch between accepting and not accepting at any time (or using Config to get the benefits of accepting without your coscience ever clicking Agree) ^_^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've never heard of Nintendo intentionally bricking a console, but they're probably well within their right to do so if there's been an unauthorized modification to the system.
They can't in Europe (it would be making your device intentionally not compliant to what you were advertised), but they could do that "accidentally" (which is exactly how N3DS bricks if updated without firm protection on A9LH - the secret sector used by A9LH is incompatible with booting normally a N3DS kernel)

Reactions: Quantumcat

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With all the new exploits and such, last I checked, Nintendo hasn't updated the 3DS since late October. Does Nintendo not care about people having CFW anymore?

Edit: To the moderators - this is the real thread, please don't delete this one.
of course they still care. but before things are released, its hard to patch them.
you can expect the next updates to fix things. give it 1-3 weeks

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
11.3 Should include the firmlaunchhax patch for safe_mode to patch safehax. They have the patch in regular mode, this should be trivial to patch (So trivial it may generate more errors hehe). Also boundary checking for song tags should be easy to implement too, so say goodbye to soundhax.
There's still fasthax and waithax. I didn't study those two yet to say anything, but they may be patchable.
With soundhax and safehax out, it should be hard for a vanilla 11.3 system to downgrade.

They can't honestly do anything about sighax, but to deliver a hardware revision. So yeah.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what's stopping Nintendo from having an 11.3 update that covertly slips a modified arm9loaderhax.bin onto the SD card on all systems regardless of whether or not they have A9LH installed. It could be programmed to remove A9LH at boot, etc.

On systems without A9LH, the file would obviously do nothing since it would never be launched.

Daniel41550

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what's stopping Nintendo from having an 11.3 update that covertly slips a modified arm9loaderhax.bin onto the SD card on all systems regardless of whether or not they have A9LH installed. It could be programmed to remove A9LH at boot, etc.

On systems without A9LH, the file would obviously do nothing since it would never be launched.
That's ingenious.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's been over 2 months though...
It hasn't been 2 months, its been 10 days odd since the new hack was announced, even less with it being usable. Ofcourse Nintendo care and 11.3 will be out soon that squashing a few bugs (aka increase stability)

Reactions: Lacius

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With [...] safehax out, it should be hard for a vanilla 11.3 system to downgrade.
Yeah, unless they forget again to fix hardmod/DSiware downgrades (which may well be intentional, discourages noobs but still encourages experts to have a reason to not buy used)

Not that it will matter in some months. Sighax = a9lh-equivalent on any version with hardmod = #Pwned4Life

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Cause its not illegal to mod your systems just illegal to pirate games, there no legal high ground here it wouldn't hold up in court if it went that far

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1