Hacking Does Nintendo care anymore?

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I do have a feeling that Nintendo might end up trying to do everything possible to DMCA every website containing a ROM hack or anything to do with circumventing DRM protection measures in the future. It might not happen now or during this time of the year, but I can just feel something like that might happen.
My dad was Iwata and he told me in a dream that 12.0 will be out tomorrow
A little bird told me that nothing will happen tomorrow. And who knows? The little bird could be wrong about it.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a feeling that Nintendo might end up trying to do everything possible to DMCA every website containing a ROM hack or anything to do with circumventing DRM protection measures in the future. It might not happen now or during this time of the year, but I can just feel something like that might happen.

A little bird told me that nothing will happen tomorrow. And who knows? The little bird could be wrong about it.
Except for that fact that those sites HAVE to be hosted where DMCA is applicable. So, that's sort of a moot point considering most warez is hosted on private servers outside the US.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@Platinum Lucario you do know that when something hits the internet, it stays there for ever?
Yeah, it will always remain on the internet forever, no matter how takedowns are issued. It will only just mean that it will be more harder to find when searching for it. If there's anyone willing to upload it everywhere onto file hosts and all that, then it'll become more common in other places.

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now that is been long enough for a "stability" update I think Nintendo probably gave up on 3ds and will probably discontinue it soon and shut down the servers

Reactions: Exavold
D

Deleted User

It seems like the switch is Nintendo's only concern after all.The 3ds is pretty much on its own now since its been too long before the last stability update.

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There would be only one way Nintendo would ever be able to make A9LH unusable on newer firmware without compromising non-hacked 3DSs.

The only way would be to completely rewrite the partitions. And to do that, they would need to create a new partition on the NAND for all the files to be transferred as well as storing the installation files. Then upon boot, delete all the partitions (except for the new temporary one), then create brand new partitions under completely different names and reboot again. Then upon that boot, it will boot into the home menu. That's how I would see them doing it.

Oh and also, if Luma3DS (or Corbenik with FIRM protection) is running upon A9LH, something like that would mean that the installation process of the newer firmware version would fail while deleting all partitions since FIRM0 and FIRM1 partitions are protected, but because all the other partitions are removed, the sysNAND will no longer boot, but can still boot into Homebrew apps that rely on A9LH.

I'm pretty sure if a new update for the 3DS comes, it would do something like that. And I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was working on something like that. If that happens, then it'll be just like with the PS3 during the time when everyone had to be on 3.55 or lower, but it would end up being that the 3DS will have to be on firmware 11.2 or lower, at least until a new exploit is discovered.

But, we'll all be prepared for when that update arrives. Then we'll datamine through that update and find exploits with everything we've got, even if it completely rewrites the whole NAND partitions.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they had over a year for that. they are certainly not doing it NOW. Before Pokemon was the big time to do it. now? lol.....

I wonder if the will try the Wii U for a last update right before zelda in three weeks, but I doubt it.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
ANSWER TO THIS THREAD:
moore's law originally said every 2 years you could aproximatly double the transistors in an intergrated circuit.
nintendo 3ds follows a similair law, where for every update the stability on the console increases.
however since Nintendo likes to be "special" choosing such shitty specs on their consoles, it come to a point more system stability would create such stability it would render nuclear plants useless and we wouldn't have energy on most houses, creating a global crysis (and no, this univerve has not enough cuda cores to play crysis, god didn't upgrade universe with SLI mode...)

so yeah, nintendo likes trump and nuclear toys, an update to nintendo 3ds= stability over the limit the console can contain, leak of stability= no stuff that can bum bum= sad TRUMP

Reactions: Quantumcat

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
50332e17cf29ab90952f8b9544b9af27.jpg

Serious though, they say they'll continue supporting the 3DS, which sure they might, for a short while. Their focus is on the Switch now though. Might fix up the userland exploits, hell maybe even the kernel exploits in a 12.0.0-36, I think once that firmware releases though, that'll basically be the end of firmware updates for it. Major game releases for it are slimming down as focus is put on the Switch, they may just slowly phase out and sell off the remaining stock of 3dses before slowly over time discontuing it. Keep fighting the hackers is a losing battle at this point, we've gone too deep already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.