xxCobraxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all, greetings to all! I'm new here (as you'll guess by my post count
tongue.gif
).

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section or I've missed this question already (I did use search).

I've ordered an R4 and was wondering if the ROM's I get will be able to go online so I can play against others or do I need the original? Mario Kart DS is one example. I read on one website this:

''yes you have to buy original games to connect to nintendo’s servers to play games like pokemon, metroid, animal crossing, MarioKart etc. Buy ORIGINAL games for play on the net''

Is that true? It's just some places I read make it sound like I'll be able play online against others fine with the ROM and an R4. Any solid answer on this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, it will play online just fine. The only thing not implemented yet is Wii connectivity. That is supposed to be fixed in the next firmware update.....whenever they finally release it.

I've been compiling a HUGE cheat.dat for the R4/M3 Simply. Download it from my sig. It has Action Replay cheat codes for around 500 games. Enjoy and welcome to GBAtemp!

grog.gif

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Indeed. Download Rayder's .DAT file, but don't use it online to ruin peoples fun. >>;

I've played Pokemon (via R4) vs. Pokemon (via actual game) and it worked perfectly.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Yeah. I don't think a lot of people understand this when they order an R4, but having games on the R4 is the exact same as having the game IRL. Same features, same everything.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. I don't think a lot of people understand this when they order an R4, but having games on the R4 is the exact same as having the game IRL. Same features, same everything.

Just for the record, the games on the R4 are not perfect. They still need to be patched, it just happens 'on the fly'. You can tell because Wii Connectivity is still lacking. I think the G6 Real was supposed to play games perfectly (no patching, just making the DS think the ROMs are real games), but I think it doesn't work well.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope, you don't. I set up my connection with my Pokemon Pearl ROM.

Yup, you can set up your wifi settings through a ROM. Just make sure all your hardware is compatible. The DS doesn't have WPA support. The only type of encryption is WEP (which is practically NO encryption). Also, make sure if you're not broadcasting your SSID you type in your SSID, and if you have MAC filtering on you add your DS's MAC address to the list.

xxCobraxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to finally have a solid answer to clear things up.

Great help everyone, thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw