Hacking Does my G6 Lite save in real-time or do I need to restart it? I'm

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a G6 Lite and right now I'm using it to play GBA backups but I'm a little confused on how it works.

When I save in-game, does it get immediately written to the flash cartridge? ...or do I need to reboot?

If I need to reboot, what would happen if I save my current game and plug my G6 Lite into my computer before it gets a chance to actually "write" the save game to the flash cartridge?

Is this what "Processing data... Please keep power on!" means when I start my G6 Lite?

It seems kind of scary to think that data isn't saved until you reboot the system. That's also a big pain in the butt to remember to do everytime you use the cartridge...

Any help or information is greatly appriciated!

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should have Posted this in the G6 topic. Can a mod move it?

Anyway, no, when you save in game it's only saved to the SRAM or whatever. It's stored to battery. When you turn it on again and the "Processing data...keep power on" comes up, that means it's writing the save data from the last playtime to the disk.

Yup, it is a pain in the butt, but you're best off just turning it off and on each time you're done. I don't know how old your specific cart is, but the batter recharges while it's in the GBA, and mine has never died on me. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information! (and sorry for posting in the wrong forum)

Can the battery eventually die if I don't use the cartridge for a long time? Would I only lose the SRAM data if it did?

Also, does the G6 Lite always use the .0 file for it's saving? (I think other options exist to copy .1 and .2 but it sounds like they just overwrite the .0 file?)

I'd also be curious to understand why it only saves to SRAM instead of always saving directly to disk like the slot-1 cartridges...

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it can eventually die, but you're talking about months, if not a year or two of not using it.

Yes, the save files are the .0 's. The .1 and .2 are just there for backup.

As for you last question, it has to do with the technology of the time in which the G6 lite was released, and the fact that it has no external storage...but don't ask me about the nitty gritty tech specs!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: y