Hacking does EZ-flash IV work with DS-LITE

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The EZ-Flash IV and III works with the ds lite...

And I can confirm so does the EZ2 and the EZ2 has better DS support then the EZ3 right now.
smile.gif

Kliviwiki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I have An EZ 3. What else do I need to play DS ROMS with it? I already tried to read 5th's tutorial, but for some reason I can't open the file.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest EZ3 manager and some sort of Passme or Pascard.

I'd sugest getting MK4 mini as your passcard for the EZ3 as the DS isn't so hot right now and you will need to save to whatever cart is in your DS slot (ie your Passcard or the game you have in your Passme) for some games. Hopefully the EZ Flash team will update the manager soon and bring the EZ3 DS support up to that of the EZ4.

Kliviwiki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you so much, Kid Ice. Do you mean that, for some games, I will have to save them on whatever is on the DS slot, instead of saving on the EZ3? Would It be a good idea to sell my EZ 3 and try to get another flash kit? Which one? Thank you again. Oh, and is there any difference between the regular DS and the DS lite concerning roms?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much, Kid Ice. Do you mean that, for some games, I will have to save them on whatever is on the DS slot, instead of saving on the EZ3?

Yes. The EZ3's software isn't very good at patching DS games currently, and non-patched and improperly patched games will try to save to the cart in the DS slot. You can try running your ROM images through the EZ4 client before you burn them to your EZ3 as that helps in some cases, but not always and it's sort of a pain the the @$$.

Would It be a good idea to sell my EZ 3 and try to get another flash kit?

If you realy need to sell it to fund the the purchase of a different cart, then yes I'd probably sell it. If you can afford another cart w/o selling your EZ3 then I'd keep it, but still get another card for DS use. But that's just what I'd do, and did actually; I didn't sell my EZ2 or EZ3 to get my EZ4.

The EZ3's poor DS support has nothing to do w/ the cart itself, but rather the E3Manager. With a software update the EZ3 could make a great DS cart. As it is though, the EZFlash team are focused on the EZ4 line of products and haven't updated the EZ3 software in ages. Who knows when they will get around to it? I couldn't be bothered to wait, not to mention I wanted a cart w/ removable storage, so I got another cart. I kept the EZ3 because it's still one of the best GBA flash carts one could own and I still have uses for it even as a DS cart. Animal Crossing and a couple other things actually work better on it then on my EZ4, for example. Plus there is always the hope that the EZFlash team will update the Manager.

Which one?

Completely up to you. Do some homework, all the current carts have pros and cons, read up and decide based on what features are important to you. That said, I bought an EZ4 and I'm happy w/ it.

QUOTE(Kliviwiki @ Sep 30 2006, 04:19 PM)
Thank you again. Oh, and is there any difference between the regular DS and the DS lite concerning roms?

Uhm... They look WAY better on a DS Lite.
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, as long as you get a newer generation Passme/Passcard (Passme 1 type devices will not work on newer DS's or any DS Lite) there is no difference in how you handle the software you put on the flash car, how the flash cart or the software on it performs, or anything else whether used in a DS or DS Lite.

Kliviwiki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, everyone.
I searched the net and found a G6 Lite 4 Gigabits and a passcard 3. I believe I don't need anything else besides that right? Dou you still think the EZ Flash 4 Is better? I can't find it on the net for a good price...
Thank you.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's all you would need.

I personally am not interested in the G6 because it doesn't support removable media. If you ever plan to use your DS for MP3's, movies and such you're probably going to find the lack of space severely limitting. If all you're using it for is games and the fixed size doesn't matter to you it's a great card FWIU.

I started w/ a 256 Mb flash cart on the GBA and for a long time that was plenty for me. Then I got a 1 Gb cart and I thought I would never need a bigger flash cart. Then I got an EZ4 and a 1 GB (that's bytes) SD for it and w/ all that space I couldn't resist throwing a few MP3's, episodes of Retarded Animal Babies, etc on it... Guess what, I went and bought another SD card as 1 GB slowly became "not enough". My experience is your data will always grow to fill your media (HD SD, etc), and it's a lot cheaper to buy an SD card then it is a new G6 when you want more room.

Kliviwiki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
So, these are the possible packages I have in mind (I already have a NDS, and an EZ Flash 3):

-A G6 with all the stuff that comes with it (superkey as the passcard);
-An EZ Flash 4, with a superkey and any mini SD (or should I get the regular SD?)

What do you think of these choices? Would you change anything?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Both options are fine choices although having had a removeable memory cart for a few months having come from internal memory I can tell you that removeable memory is not something I would for go without a struggle.

If you are going to get a superkey and an EZ4 make sure it works with the EZ4 (ask the shop as later revisions do not work with it) and yes you will want a miniSD for a regular EZ4.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-An EZ Flash 4, with a superkey and any mini SD (or should I get the regular SD?)

What do you think of these choices? Would you change anything?

While Fast6191's advice on the Superkey is sound, I'd avoid the Superkey/Passcard3 all together for the EZ4 to avoid any potential compatability issues, but that's just me. Not to mention if I'm going to use a NoPass device I don't want it to have a splash screen.
smile.gif
Most the people selling EZ4's also sell EZPass3's, PassWe's and other NoPass carts that don't have such issues.

I agree w/ Fast6191's opinion of removable media carts: "Burning" is far faster, file managment that doesn't require the patcher can be done w/ Windows/Directory Opus (which rules BTW)/etc instead of having to use the EZ3Manager or some such, potentialy limitless flash cart capacity, mutiple miniSD's (or microSD's for the Lite versions) are easier to carry around then multiple flash carts, they're far cheaper... I'll stop there.

But don't get me wrong, there are plenty of reasons why I kept and still use my EZ2 and EZ3.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can recommend both the EZPass3 and MK4-Key for EZFlashIVLite compatabilty, and I can also condemn the SuperPass as no good at all for it, unless you get lucky and manage to get hold of an older style one without the splash screen.
(This is from personal experience as I bought all 3 of them
wacko.gif
)

Kliviwiki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
So, let me get this straight:

FAST6191:

having had a removeable memory cart for a few months having come from internal memory I can tell you that removeable memory is not something I would for go without a struggle.
Why don't you recommend me removable memory carts?
If you are going to get a superkey and an EZ4 make sure it works with the EZ4 (ask the shop as later revisions do not work with it)
Do the latest superkeys work with EZ Flash 4?
yes you will want a miniSD for a regular EZ4.
Why do you think the mini SD is better?

KidIce:

if I'm going to use a NoPass device I don't want it to have a splash screen.
What is a splash screen? I was hoping to find a passcard that also works with EZ Flash 3, so I could use with the one I already own. What other passcards are also EZ 3 compatible? It's so damn hard to find out...
"Burning" is far faster, file managment that doesn't require the patcher can be done w/ Windows/Directory Opus (which rules BTW)/etc instead of having to use the EZ3Manager or some such, potentialy limitless flash cart capacity, mutiple miniSD's (or microSD's for the Lite versions) are easier to carry around then multiple flash carts, they're far cheaper... I'll stop there.
So, if I use the removable media, I don't have to use that damned EZ manager? That sounds very interesting, since I hate EZ manager. I have the 1.25 version, and it sucks. I tried to download the latest versions, but several problems occured. I tried to join ther EZ Flash Forum, but some idiot screwed up there and was banned, and since I have cable connection, it's like I've been banned too.

rambozotheclown:

I can recommend both the EZPass3 and MK4-Key for EZFlashIVLite compatabilty
I have a Phat DS, so I don't see why I should get an EZ Flash IV Lite, if that's what you meant. Do EZPass3 and MK4-Key stick out of the console?

Thanks everyone for being so supportive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can not really answer for the others but here goes:

I do suggest using a removeable memory cart: I think they are fantastic (for all the reasons KidIce mentioned), I just said it in a pointlessly convoluted way.

No the latest superkeys do not work with the EZ4 (they originally did and then something changed and they did not).

It is not that I think miniSD is better, it is that the regular EZ4 uses it (I believe microSD to miniSD adaptors are around should you for some reason have some microSD around).

A splash screen is a screen that shows up before everything gets going (think intros on GBA roms here)
If you want a simple suggestion the EZPass3 will work fine for you and the neo one is not bad either.

No you do not have to use EZManager, you have to use EZ4 Client to patch roms though. Fortunately once the roms are on your cart you can move them wherever you like using standard windows methods.
1.25 is damn old and I am not suprised you dislike it, the later versions got much more stable after the inital 2.00 line (If you are only using it for GBA then I suggest EZManager 2.08).
As for the EZFlash Forum (that is the one at sosuke.com) I am not aware of people being IP banned but I will speak to the admins about it and see what can be done.

The new nopass devices are DS cart sized so not they do not stick out of the console.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you recommend me removable memory carts?

I read it wrong at first too. He likes them, he just had a naff way of saying it. Sorry, Fast6191, I can't help myself.
smile.gif

It is not that I think miniSD is better, it is that the regular EZ4 uses it (I believe microSD to miniSD adaptors are aorund should you for some reason have some microSD around).

Just to add, so far none of the non-lite slot 2 carts take microSD's.

A splash screen is a screen that shows up before everything gets going (think intros on GBA roms here)
If you want a simple suggestion the EZPass3 will work fine for you and the neo one is not bad either.

Just one more stupid screen in between me and my games, music, etc.

No you do not have to use EZManager, you have to use EZ4 Client to patch roms though. Fortunately once the roms are on your cart you can move them wherever you like using standard windows methods.

Yes, I suppose I wasn't very clear. Your ROM images of comercial games are still going to require patching, and for that you will need EZ4 Client. However, if you want to remove games; add games that have already been patched, software that doesn't require patching (eg homebrew), music, movies, etc; copy your saves to your HD; put saves from your HD on the flash cart... Just use your favorite file manager.

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Oct 11 2006, 11:24 AM)
The new nopass devices are GBA cart sized so not they do not stick out of the console.

He means DS cart sized. They go in the DS's slot 1 and look exactly like retail DS carts. Once you socket one, no one but you will know it isn't a "real" DS cart, and FWIU they aren't the battery sucking pigs that PassMe 1 and 2 style devices are.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, one thing I can comment on to the MM card adapters VS flash carts - You are never going to have to wait for them to fix buggy NAND/NOR etc burning software, and if the MM writer goes caput, grab a new one at the local buy-anything-here store for $5. Not to mention if the memory on the flashcart goes bad you pretty much have to trash it, with a MM card adapter you just replace the memory card.

A client patcher that finishes 10X sooner (if not faster) sure beats a buggy burning+patching program that may or may not get fixed, hands down.

Now, how many MM cards and adapters could I get for the $225 I spent on the F2A 1G a couple years back... which was pretty much abandoned by the developers just before the DS came out.

jic: MM = Multi Media (card)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-