Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
FAST6191:

I do think I'm gonna get a removable media cart. EZ Flash IV, probably. The bad thing is that it's hard to find it in my country, but I can wait a few months.

So, if I'm gonna get the EZ4, I'd better get the EZ pass 3, right? Is it also compatible with EZ3?

(I believe microSD to miniSD adaptors are around should you for some reason have some microSD around).
I didn't get that...

I've tried to download the latest EZ Manager version, but a window pops up saying I don't have a don't-know-what.dll file. Beats me. What is the best version for the DS?
I would really apreciate if you talked to the administrators of EZ Flash Forum, since I already e-mailed them but got no response...

KidIce:

Just to add, so far none of the non-lite slot 2 carts take microSD's.

Do the Micro SD's come with an adapter like the Mini SD's? Can I use them on digital cameras and stuff?

Yes, I suppose I wasn't very clear. Your ROM images of comercial games are still going to require patching, and for that you will need EZ4 Client. However, if you want to remove games; add games that have already been patched, software that doesn't require patching (eg homebrew), music, movies, etc; copy your saves to your HD; put saves from your HD on the flash cart... Just use your favorite file manager.

I'm not very familiar with this patching thing. Could you guys patiently expain it to me?

He means DS cart sized. They go in the DS's slot 1 and look exactly like retail DS carts. Once you socket one, no one but you will know it isn't a "real" DS cart, and FWIU they aren't the battery sucking pigs that PassMe 1 and 2 style devices are.
That is one good thing.

cory1492:

Well, one thing I can comment on to the MM card adapters VS flash carts - You are never going to have to wait for them to fix buggy NAND/NOR etc burning software

What is a buggy NAND/NOR etc burning software?

if the MM writer goes caput, grab a new one at the local buy-anything-here store for $5

How is the MM writer? What happpens if it goes caput? What is "caput"? There aren't such stores in my country...

A client patcher that finishes 10X sooner (if not faster) sure beats a buggy burning+patching program that may or may not get fixed, hands down.

What client patchers and buggy burning+patching programs are you talking about? Please, bear with, since I have absolutely no Rom recording experience besides that damned EZ Manager version 1.25.

Thanks everyone for your support.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to requote everything would have been a nightmare so I numbered them instead.

1)So, if I'm gonna get the EZ4, I'd better get the EZ pass 3, right? Is it also compatible with EZ3?

2)FAST6191:I believe microSD to miniSD adaptors are around should you for some reason have some microSD around)
I didn't get that...

3)I've tried to download the latest EZ Manager version, but a window pops up saying I don't have a don't-know-what.dll file. Beats me. What is the best version for the DS?
I would really apreciate if you talked to the administrators of EZ Flash Forum, since I already e-mailed them but got no response...

4)I'm not very familiar with this patching thing. Could you guys patiently expain it to me?

5)What is a buggy NAND/NOR etc burning software?

6)regarding the memory reader. What happpens if it goes caput? What is "caput"? There aren't such stores in my country...

1)Yeah you should have no problem

2)
adapter.gif

This is what I was refering too, the EZ4 normal only uses miniSD, however with one of these you could use a microSD instead.

3)Without more specific infomation I can not really help there (I do not recall any common missing (somename).dll files so I am inclined to believe you got a bad version, The 2.20 version is mirrored here: http://www.users.on.net/~rodney_lucy/EzMngr/ez3manager220.7z (replace 7z with zip for a zip version).

As for sosukes forum (which is acting as the current English forums for EZFlash: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/ ) if you should use a proxy or someone elses internet connection can you connect?

4)DS roms are not designed to be run/save from/to the GBA cart and so have to be patched to do so. For the EZ4 you open EZ4 Client, hit open (or whatever translation you make/use says in it's place), find the rom (uncompressed, zipped or rar compressed) then hit send. Once on your memory card you can move them all over.

5)Before memory card became standard NOR memory was used (later NAND was in conjuction with some ram too), the software that wrote the roms (and patched them too) to this memory is usually quite bug ridden and fairly slow (it works though so most people do not care that much).

6)In this sense caput just means broken (it broke= it went caput), all cory1492 was saying is that if the memory card reader breaks then it is far easier to replace one of those than to replace a linker.

Kliviwiki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you very much FAST6191. The pictures of the SD's were extremeley helpful...

Oh, are there adapters for mini SD's to become Normal SD's?

Another question: I was checking the EZ Pass 3 review, and it was stated that some games have to be saved on the EZ pass ityself. How does that work? 64 kb seems like a very small space...

And how about the EZ Flash 4 not having an internal clock? If I use the NDS there's no problem, since it already has an internal clock, right?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, are there adapters for mini SD's to become Normal SD's?

Actually, it's the microSD to miniSD adapter you might have trouble finding.

Most mini or micro SD's will come with an adapter for use as "normal" SD's. Everyone I've ever bought has, I don't recall the last time I saw one that didn't. If you take a look at flash memory readers/writers for PC's you'll have a hard time finding one that supports mini or micro SD's, but one's that support normal SD's are all over the place. That's why they always include an adapter.
smile.gif

Another question: I was checking the EZ Pass 3 review, and it was stated that some games have to be saved on the EZ pass ityself. How does that work? 64 kb seems like a very small space...

That's why I recommended an MK4-mini for use w/ the EZ3. It has 2 Mb of save space. W/ the EZ4 (or if the EZ team ever updates EZManager) it won't matter as the more up to date patcher (EZ4Client) will patch the games to save to the GBA slot (slot 2).

"How it works" is that games that don't get patched properly will try to save to whatever is in the DS slot (slot 1), in this case the NoPass device (eg EZPass 3, etc). If you play another game that tries to save to slot 1 and you have another save there it will be overwriten, meaning you will only be able to have one game's save data stored there at a time. If the save space on the NoPass is insuficient to hold the save the save will fail.

Again, this isn't something to concern yourself w/ while using the EZ4. If you are planning to keep your EZ3 when you get an EZ4, then you may want to just use the EZ3 for GBA only (at least until we get a new version pf EZManager) and avoid the issue all together.

QUOTE(Kliviwiki @ Oct 14 2006, 10:18 AM)And how about the EZ Flash 4 not having an internal clock? If I use the NDS there's no problem, since it already has an internal clock, right?

This will only effect the few GBA games that had a clock built in to the cart (read: Pokemon). GBA games can not use the DS's internal clock and would have to use the clock built into the flash cart. However, those games can be patched to run with out the clock on flash carts that lack one such as the EZ4... Or it would be better to just run them from your EZ3, if you're planning to keep it.

NDS games use the DS's clock so this won't have any effect on them. Besides, the DS version of Pokemone is due out soon anyway is't it?
smile.gif

chibiyao

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I just got micro SD, EZflash4, and EZPASS3. I put games into the microSD and I turned my DSlite, when I chose a game, I got 2 black screens. Am I missing some programs or something? Cuz' I have no clue what to do now. Help !

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your memory card should be formatted to FAT16 (if using the windows right click on drive method it will be called FAT), usually they are formatted to FAT32.
You need to use EZ4 Client to patch roms beforehand, there is no fussing around with options so just leave link with GBA and soft reset alone and you should be fine.
But you do not really need me to explain this as others have been kind enough to make a FAQ and wiki with the data you will want:
http://www.sosuke.com/ezflash/wiki/index.php/EZFlash_4
I advise you getting the latest software and getting the version from the downloads section of the US forums:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/
I also suggest stopping by the EZ4 section there and picking up some updated rom lists.

Kliviwiki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
No you do not have to use EZManager, you have to use EZ4 Client to patch roms though. Fortunately once the roms are on your cart you can move them wherever you like using standard windows methods.
1.25 is damn old and I am not suprised you dislike it, the later versions got much more stable after the inital 2.00 line (If you are only using it for GBA then I suggest EZManager 2.08).

Sorry, my EZ manager version is 2.08. The OS is version 1.25. Is there a better one?

Also, how do I enable the instant save option? I tried to do it on Fire Emblem-The Sacred Stones, but it just doesn't work... And it's damn hard to press all those buttons on the DS, since they are all on the right side of the console.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EZManager 2.22 got released the other day with a xcode update (xcode is responsible for instant save amongst other things) and now sports EZ4 like DS compatibility out of the box.

GBATemp thread:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=38498
Visit the headlines thread of the EZflash forums too as anything interesting will be discussed there:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Could replay Metroid, though. Amazing screen on this thing.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Miyoo are basically repurposed blackberry displays believe it or not I always take my miyoo on the go
    @K3Nv2 You joke but this was amazing for 10 year old me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6adnfSaew&ab_channel=IGN
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Install onionos also if you haven't already
    It still looks dope.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Amazingly I didn't really care for the GBA
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, dragon quest 4 bored me
    Let's play.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should add a 256gb card in mine and load like 100ps1 titles to it eventually I will
    Will you play them all?
    I've only ever played Castlevania Symphony of the Night from PS1.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't play games here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I dont have one of those but gbarunner2 in twilight menu works quite decently for me
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Don't get me wrong GBA absolutely had some great games but overall the sound and graphics just meh to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The remastered crash bandicoot was pretty decent ngl
    @Xdqwerty I had a NDS long ago, but L and R broke very fast.
    My sister had a N3DS XL and it suffered the same fate.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl the L button barely worked at all in the dsi i previously had
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    my dad bought me a dsi identical to that one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could be an easy fix without even opening it with some ipa maybe unless the entire button broke
    That´s why I never got any handheld before the Switch.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or N3ds/2Ds
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles