Hacking Does BootMii make my Wii "unbrickable"?

Zeldafanzero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...Or at the very least "always recoverable"?

I've backed up my NAND and installed it onto Boot2.

If I do something stupid from now on, can I "always" recover it?

Thanks.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you have BootMii insatlled to boot2 and it's started directly when the sd card with its files is inserted, then you have a 95% unbrickable Wii. You can still brick it when you overwrite the nand sectors that contain boot2(these are the very 1st nand sectors). And of course you can still brick your Wii by hardware failure, like the one you get eventually from having WiiConnect24 turned on.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For everything you're thinking of. Installing bad wads, deleting IOSs like a jack ass, running crazy downgrades wrong, etc.. you're brick proof.

Zeldafanzero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweet. And sorry for all the questions, but what exactly is contained in the NAND? I'm guessing by the filesize that it's a complete dump of everything on the Wii's flash memory?

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya, kind of think it as your computer's hard drive.

Using bootmii is like using a restore disk that comes with a new PC. If shit goes wrong you just pop it in and you're back up and running. Minus changes you've made post-dump.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As above Bootmii does make a wii almost unbrickable. Those dumps are effectively a ghost image for wii.

Most people will never brick their wii beyond recovery. Like Ossot said, it's immune brickage from to deleted IOS60s (an all too common problem), bad wads, and missing system menus.

It is still possible to brick it beyond recovery, but is highly unlikely. Most of those cases have been mentioned (HW Failure, bad restores). The only thing that people didn't mention was noobs uninstalling bootmii and then bricking the wii (seen it done, don't laugh.
glare.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?