Does an e-reader exist for the 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Ev1l0rd, May 16, 2016.

1. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    I would love to be able to read text files (format isn't imporant, I can convert it using calibre if needed) on it, but I am not able to find any homebrew/cias that allow for it. Does such an utility exist?

2. Pikm

Pikm Thy Lord and Savior

Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    Delaware
    Not currently that I'm aware of. This question is better suited to the /r/3DSHacks Q&A thread, the #3dshacks IRC, or the Discord server.

3. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    I would love for a homebrew app to be able to read .txt documents... preferibly with a line bookmarking system! As then I wouldn't have to rely on my DSi's with its broken battery for moonshell book reading!

4. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2009
  5. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    You would think there was a dedicated e-reader

6. blujay
    This message by blujay has been removed from public view by shaunj66, May 17, 2016, Reason: At ops request.
    May 17, 2016
  7. blujay
    This message by blujay has been removed from public view by shaunj66, May 17, 2016, Reason: At ops request.
    May 17, 2016
  8. blujay
    May 17, 2016
  9. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    when you say e-reader i think people will think about the card e-reader for gba :)
    if you mean a text viewer or ebook reader, etc etc, yeah japan at least has something on their eshop.
    maybe we could port fbreader or similar stuff to the 3ds...

Ev1l0rd and CeeDee like this.
  10. Pikasack

Pikasack What is a title

Apr 27, 2015
    Canada
    Damn, a quadruple post.

I would like an app like this to come out, because I kind of broke of Kobo screen, it dropped and the e-ink display has a crack in it so it's not good anymore. However I still always have my phone...

11. xaw2

xaw2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2016
    Canada
    There's a manga reader. I'm sure that would work if the pages are converted to PNG files

12. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Yeah...Sorry 'bout that quad post... Accident...

13. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    There is a difference between a text viewer and an ebook/text file viewer. A text viewer is more to just glance at a settings file.

Also, by using the Search tool, I found this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-ebook-reader.399257 . Unfortunately the thread is locked due to the fact that OP was trying to take credit for someone else's release (Bad OP!) but the thing itself looks interesting. It was made by @AlbertoSONIC according to last page, so I'm paging him on whether he ever actually released it (as I can't find a release thread).

EDIT: So after doing a bit of research (AKA type his name in GitHub search for the code) I found the repository. Although he seems to have abandoned it (last notice in Dec2015) someone called @reworks has continued the project: https://github.com/reworks/3DS_eBook_Reader

Last edited by Ev1l0rd, May 17, 2016
  14. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    Nice! You'd really think someone must've made it at least once. I don't think I'll be reading much on my 3ds, my phone is more likely, but it's just great to see how far the homebrew scene for the 3ds has come!

15. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2009
    true that, but if you really need to read something on your 3ds right now it would work, thats why I mentioned it.

and that's some nice digging there detective :)

Ev1l0rd likes this.