Dockcase Smart USB-C Hub 10-in-1 Explorer Edition Impressions

GBAtemp Dockcase Smart 10-in-1 hub.png

PC accessories manufacturer Dockcase recently launched a Kickstarter campaign for its new product, the Dockcase Smart USB-C Hub 10-in-1 Explorer Edition which we’ll take a look at here. As usual with crowdfunded campaigns, caution is advised but this is Dockcase’s 10th campaign and they seem to have delivered on their other products so far.

Pledges for this new USB hub start at $119 and comes in a minimalist package with the hub itself and a USB-C cable:

contents.jpg

The 10 ports that are featured on this hub and its specs are as follows:

ports.jpg specs.jpg

While there are a range of USB hubs or docking stations differing in the number of ports and price range such as UGREEN’s $23 6-in-1 USB-C Hub or its $330 13-in1 Docking Station, Dockcase’s new hub mainly differentiates itself with its looks. It will instantly appeal to fans of clear shell products like myself and this one bears a futuristic, cyberpunk look that is quite unique among USB hubs. The see-through aspect is only for the top of the device though and the rest of the shell is of a sturdy aluminium build.

front.jpg

back.jpg side 1.jpg side 2.jpg

Plugging it into a PC will reveal its other special feature: a built-in screen. It can be a handy feature to view information about each individual port such as HDMI resolution and input/output wattage. There’s a dedicated button to navigate through it as well as for adjusting its orientation. While this addition can be handy for troubleshooting, if you’ve used PC ports without such a screen, you won’t find much use for this screen either. However, it’s a distinctive feature of Dockcase hubs (also included in their previously-reviewed 6-in-1 hub) which can have niche use cases and interests.

use 1.jpg

use 2.jpg use 3.jpg use 4.jpg

As for using the device, it is a plug-and-play affair, and instantly offers access to a suite of ports. With its dual 4K@60Hz display (via the HDMI+DP ports), it is a great add-on for multi-screen workstations and its 100W PD USB-C port can even power your laptop/accessories while in use.

I particularly find such hubs appropriate for handheld gaming PCs such as the AYANEO and Steam Deck as these lack certain ports. Having a portable add-on like the Dockcase Smart USB-C Hub 10-in-1 can be handy to transfer files (up to 312 MB/s via the SD slot) or even mirror the screen to a bigger display via the HDMI port. Given the clear-shell design of this hub, it is a great companion to the original AYANEO Founder Edition which bears a similar see-through aesthetic.

companion.jpg

Ultimately, I think that the decision to purchase a Dockcase Smart USB-C Hub 10-in-1 Explorer Edition will hinge on its looks. It’s not the cheapest USB hub out there but it offers a decent number of ports and works as needed. It also offers some handy information about the ports in use with its built-in screen, although most users might not find a need for it. However, it does rock a unique, futuristic look that sets it apart from other USB hubs.

If you’re interested in learning more about the Dockcase Smart USB-C Hub 10-in-1 Explorer Edition, you can head to its campaign page which has already hit its funding goals and is expected to start deliveries in October.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Designing a glass/transparent casing is an art, and these guys missed the mark. Now they have a more fragile and more expensive piece that doesn't look like a statement, it just looks like it's missing the top plate.

Reactions: Youkai

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A good write up although a couple notable things of the product:
- No power adapter included. This is par for the course on these but worth noting that you’d have to provide a 100w USB C power adapter.
- I haven’t seen a breakdown of how much power is provided to usb devices. Many powered hubs provide breakdowns of how many watts a device can pull in different setups (i.e. only one usb c used, usbc + usb a 3 ports, etc). Often it will drop the max usage per port purely based on # of ports used and not the draw of the conneted devices.

Edit: Originally on this comment (for the few minutes I had it up with the concern), I had concern over use of referral links and that the kickstarter highlights kickbooster’s referral platform, questioning the lack of any dislaimer or discloser. I was mistaken as the links in this article are not kickbooster referral links and have no issue with any links.

Last edited by AshuraZro,
Reactions: tabzer and osaka35

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I advise caution to purchasers of these devices. Get a proper power brick from a trustworthy source, not from a Chinese seller.

When your device starts failing from poor power delivery and you aim at it for poor performance, check if the power brick is worth a damn.

Anything over 4 usb ports is overkill, coupled with two displays.

Reactions: eternal and tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I agree with @Bladexdsl about it being expensive, but it would be nice if someone with such an opinion might suggest an alternative.

I have a couple questions. Can this operate with the Switch as a dock substitute? If so, to what extent? Will this work with Apple devices too?

I got this about 4 years ago for 2,900 yen. It works with both my ipad air 4 and the Switch. but I had to use different power adapters for each.

Designing a glass/transparent casing is an art, and these guys missed the mark. Now they have a more fragile and more expensive piece that doesn't look like a statement, it just looks like it's missing the top plate.

The fact that it looks like it's missing the top plate can suggest that they are doing something right with transparency. I disagree with your sense of taste. ;)

Reactions: 6adget

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Tired of all these things trying to keep 1Gigabit Ethernet alive. Some of us are trying to move on to 2.5 or 5Gigabit, and shit like this is helping hold us back.

LinuxNoob33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overpriced in my eyes. I'd think about getting one if my laptop had thunderbolt. Already spent probably too much on the official steam deck dock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto