Do you think piracy hurts the gaming industry?

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
NO, I'm not saying it's ethical, it's not...stop assuming. I'm simply saying that's why I pirate. it may be wrong, but I think some ppl may understand my reason for it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overman1977 said:
NO, I'm not saying it's ethical, it's not...stop assuming. I'm simply saying that's why I pirate. it may be wrong, but I think some ppl may understand my reason for it.
QUOTEAt the end of the day. Piracy is theft and theft is wrong, but I don't care...ripping me off is wrong too. I hope one day Canada lets consumers return ALL products they are not happy with. I should not be forced to keep a game that I don't wanna play for more than 10 min.
Really sounds like you're making a claim of morality there.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
Overman1977 said:
may wanna read that again then. I clearly say piracy is wrong.
You do state that, and then immediately renege it one ellipses later.

Take it how you like it. I believe piracy is wrong. I also believe forcing me to keep a game i'm not satisfied with is wrong, but that's a matter for stores and not a comment on piracy itself.. solution: let me return a game in some agreed upon time. And done.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overman1977 said:
Take it how you like it. I believe piracy is wrong. I also believe forcing me to keep a game i'm not satisfied with is wrong, but that's a matter for stores and not a comment on piracy itself.. solution: let me return a game in some agreed upon time. And done.
Except you have yet to provide a reasonable solution for the problem.

A simple time-delimited return policy is absolutely not feasible for the reasons I stated in the prior post.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My solution is too pirate. Just because a store cannot dream up a way to eliminate game copying does not mean everyone should suffer for their lack of imagination.....unique serial numbers, in store extensive testing of every game the have avail., time limits. It's not my job to come up with these things. So I pirate....now it's their problem.

I do not justify piracy, I do not condone it. all I can say is why I, myself do it.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overman1977 said:
may wanna read that again then. I clearly say piracy is wrong. And simply state that i wish Canada would change it's return policy.

All you're suggesting is really just a glorified piracy system.
People will still be doing the same: getting the product for free, and then not buying it afterwards. It's still wrong. Don't try to justify it in any way at all.

Companies release demos and samples for a reason.

QUOTE(Urza @ Jul 9 2010, 10:03 PM) @BakuFunn

While I agree with the majority of your post, I do want to make one comment. You compare DRM software to things like in-store security systems. A big difference is that a few of the various DRM "solutions" have malfunctioned in the past, either hindering or preventing legitimate buyers from playing the game at all. These are of course isolated cases and not the norm.

That being said, this fact doesn't grant anyone the moral high ground to steal the product.

That was a bad point, I'll give you that, as software DRM is much more restrictive. I just wanted to touch on all of the points of justification on piracy. But you could say that false alarms on the security systems may cause you to lose valuable time in store, but again, a sub par comparison.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overman1977 said:
My solution is too pirate. Just because a store cannot dream up a way to eliminate game copying does not mean everyone should suffer for their lack of imagination.....unique serial numbers, in store extensive testing of every game the have avail., time limits. It's not my job to come up with these things. So I pirate....now it's their problem.
You only suffer if you choose to send them money. They're not forcing you to purchase their product.

It's also not their job to cater to your every whim.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
Overman1977 said:
may wanna read that again then. I clearly say piracy is wrong. And simply state that i wish Canada would change it's return policy.

All you're suggesting is really just a glorified piracy system.
People will still be doing the same: getting the product for free, and then not buying it afterwards. It's still wrong. Don't try to justify it in any way at all.

Companies release demos and samples for a reason.

i'm not saying I would take that time and copy it myself. I am saying i would take that time to play the game and if not satisfied, would return it, uncopied. No priacy from me there. If people wanted to use that time to pirate, i'm sure they would, but I am not suggesting it for that reason. i try to get demos and samples but most stores have a crappy selection and the demos i've played are lackluster.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Overman1977 said:
You only suffer if you choose to send them money. They're not forcing you to purchase their product.

Technically, they want to cater to you, as you'll be satisfied and go back for more, dropping more money out of your wallet.

For them to get you to "choose to send" them your money, they will release demos and trailers and such. Utilize these if you're as moral as you say. You're justifying piracy by saying you want to be able to try a game. That's all I'm seeing in your words.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Overman1977 @ Jul 9 2010, 10:49 PM)
i'm not saying I would take that time and copy it myself. I am saying i would take that time to play the game and if not satisfied, would return it, uncopied. No priacy from me there. If people wanted to use that time to pirate, i'm sure they would, but I am not suggesting it for that reason. i try to get demos and samples but most stores have a crappy selection and the demos i've played are lackluster.

If the demos are bad, then the game is bad. You've tried the game, then don't buy it. Done, deal, finish.
Playing the full game and then returning it is wrong right there. It can be abused very easily, and will never happen. That is why they release demos for you to try out. They're never going to give you the full game to play.

Play the fucking demo.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:
QUOTE said:
Technically, they want to cater to you, as you'll be satisfied and go back for more, dropping more money out of your wallet.
I was actually referring to him specifically, however I don't think the lack of a return policy prevents enough sales to make up for the sales lost if such a return policy was actually implemented.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
Overman1977 said:

If I buy a product that sucks....leaving me no option but to keep it, is me suffering ( not getting my money's worth).

My every whim?...wanting the option to return a crappy product is 'my every whim'??

Ok then, i'll just go and buy whatever product I like and if it's subpar, I have only myself to blame and companies shouldn't give a shit. People return stuff they are not happy with all the time. All I have been saying with regard to return policies, is that i wish there were some way i could return a game cuz i'm stuck with a lot of paperweights, that are franky, too crappy to even be good paperweights.

I feel that if stores could somehow modify their return policies so that both consumer and business would be satified with it, it may limit piracy to some degree and make me a happy boy once again. That way, i could have return all the shovelware that looked good, had some nice videos and some good ratings but fell flat with me.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
Urza said:
Overman1977 said:

For them to get you to "choose to send" them your money, they will release demos and trailers and such. Utilize these if you're as moral as you say. You're justifying piracy by saying you want to be able to try a game. That's all I'm seeing in your words.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Overman1977 @ Jul 9 2010, 10:49 PM)

If the demos are bad, then the game is bad. You've tried the game, then don't buy it. Done, deal, finish.
Playing the full game and then returning it is wrong right there. It can be abused very easily, and will never happen. That is why they release demos for you to try out. They're never going to give you the full game to play.

Play the fucking demo.
*sighs*...i'm not asking to play the whole game. what gave you that idea??? I;ve played good demos of crappy games and vice versa....

Gagarin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In that case, when I go to libraray I steal as well? Couse I didn't pay for a game?
You can make a game and uncounted copy of that, it's not physical, you should not charge for that. Game should be with booklets and some extras thing, then I would pay for it.
Beside of that, why game companies? What about movie industry and music? What about photos in internet?
Can you steal something not physical? In your text you stole 5000 letters created by someone who didn't get paid for that. Your words were not created by you - you stole it from somebody. I think we all owe a lot of money to people who made a language, signs, words and some money to God. We didn't pay for world. WE STOLE IT!!!!!!!!! GTA!
What you guys want to do is a pay toll for everything. I'm sick of that. I hate plastic wrapped books at bookstore. I can return a lemon car to a dealer, but try to return not finished game to a Wallmart or Target. Demo is a solution or a renting place. Both things are bad for game companies.
I said that already - some part of people steal music. Focus on people who still buy it instead of thinking what would be if... or how much I would earn if.....

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overman1977 said:
Urza said:
Overman1977 said:

If I buy a product that sucks....leaving me no option but to keep it, is me suffering ( not getting my money's worth).

My every whim?...wanting the option to return a crappy product is 'my every whim'??

Ok then, i'll just go and buy whatever product I like and if it's subpar, I have only myself to blame and companies shouldn't give a shit. People return stuff they are not happy with all the time. All I have been saying with regard to return policies, is that i wish there were some way i could return a game cuz i'm stuck with a lot of paperweights, that are franky, too crappy to even be good paperweights.

I feel that if stores could somewho modify their return policies so that both consumer and business would be satified with it, it may limit piracy to some degree and make me a happy boy once again. That way, i could have return all the shovelware that looked good, had some nice videos and some good ratings but fell flat with me.

You're stuck with it because you've bought it. You really can't expect them to take something back you've had and could of already played the crap out of already.

Give the game away. Sell it. There are many things you could do with it. It is pretty much your fault for buying a piece of crap.

It's your fault for trusting them.
Don't give them your money. Those beans won't grow. Don't justify being a thief to see if they will.

EDIT:

QUOTE(Gagarin @ Jul 9 2010, 10:59 PM)
In that case, when I go to libraray I steal as well? Couse I didn't pay for a game?
You can make a game and uncounted copy of that, it's not physical, you should not charge for that. Game should be with booklets and some extras thing, then I would pay for it.
Beside of that, why game companies? What about movie industry and music? What about photos in internet?
Can you steal something not physical? In your text you stole 5000 letters created by someone who didn't get paid for that. Your words were not created by you - you stole it from somebody. I think we all owe a lot of money to people who made a language, signs, words and some money to God. We didn't pay for world. WE STOLE IT!!!!!!!!! GTA!
What you guys want to do is a pay toll for everything. I'm sick of that. I hate plastic wrapped books at bookstore. I can return a lemon car to a dealer, but try to return not finished game to a Wallmart or Target. Demo is a solution or a renting place. Both things are bad for game companies.
I said that already - some part of people steal music. Focus on people who still buy it instead of thinking what would be if... or how much I would earn if.....

No. Where do you think the library gets their games and books and movies? They buy them. They buy them so people can enjoy them for free. It's as if you bought something for someone else. It's not stealing.

Yes, if you read a book that you had to pay for, it's stealing. You're stealing the ideas because you'd normally have to pay for them. Taking them from a library is not stealing because they've already been paid for. Where do you think kind-hearted people go to discard books?

It's the company's choice to give you a demo or not. It does not justify you to take their product to "test drive" it. Don't give me that bullshit saying you have a right. You don't have the fucking right.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overman1977 said:
The majority of all returns are either from A) product failure or malfunction and B) consumer ignorance. The former does indeed apply to video games, and if a disc fails most stores will take it back for an exchange. The latter definitely applies to someone who didn't do enough research and ended up with a game they didn't like. I see no reason the developer should suffer due to that.

QUOTEI feel that if stores could somewho modify their return policies so that both consumer and business would be satified with it, it may limit piracy to some degree and make me a happy boy once again. That way, i could have return all the shovelware that looked good, had some nice videos and some good ratings but fell flat with me.
Sure; if they could come up with your proposed magical return policy that somehow solves everything.

It'd be nice if the game printed money too, and beat me off for a nickel.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Didn't a thread like this one just end recently? I see the same immature justifications too. How about we just admit that people are imperfect and piracy, though immoral, allows a high yield of pleasure for a relatively low cost. The "cost" being the slight burden of remorse our actions place upon our conscious. Unless of course you don't even feel remotely bad about being a pirate, in which case you are a douche.

I call that the "douche clause" in my arguement. Thank you and you are welcome.

Sidenote: Urza! I haven't seen you in a while. *hug/grope*

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prophet said:
Didn't a thread like this one just end recently? I see the same immature justifications too. How about we just admit that people are imperfect and piracy, though immoral, allows a high yield of pleasure for a relatively low cost. The "cost" being the slight burden of remorse our actions place upon our conscious. Unless of course you don't even feel remotely bad about being a pirate, in which case you are a douche.

I call that the "douche clause" in my arguement. Thank you and you are welcome.

Sidenote: Urza! I haven't seen you in a while. *hug/grope*

Would you shoplift?

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I'm gonna state this as simply as possible so that even a 4 year old would understand:

Piracy IS stealing and stealing IS wrong, therefore I am in the moral wrong when I pirate (simple logic).

I pirate for these reasons: 1. Demos not indicative of actual game play. 2. The failure of stores to offer me ANY kind of remuneration for a terrible game; once I buy a game I am stuck with it. And btw, even a movie theater once gave me a refund after having 'finished' watching Pearl Harbour, as I thought it was such a terrible movie.

The above 'reasons' are not to be confused with 'justifications'.

The End.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill