Gaming Do you still plan on getting Yooka-Laylee for the Switch?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 8,267
  • Replies 135
  • Likes 2

Will you purchase Yooka-Laylee for the Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • Maybe (was expecting a better game / will wait for a price drop)

Votes: 35 27.8%

• Total voters

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Its not the fact that the game was ruined. It will obviously be perfectly playable. Its the concept of removing someone from a project simply because of their personal political views, which had nothing to do with his professional career nor his performance in the game. That's the reason why.
They want to send a message to the devs by doing this. They aren't doing it because the game is ruined.
Because just as JonTron is entitled to his 'free speech', PlayTonic are entitled to their 'free speech' by exercising their free right to respond. In this case, their right to show JonTron the door.

For the alt-right, free speech seems to only work one way. People seem to think they're allowed to say whatever they want without taking responsibility for what they are saying.
baicaly this lol, so he should be able to say anything hewants but the devs cant change the voice actor? that makes no sence lol.

Also asking for a refund becuase they changed one voice actor that does mumbles is ridiculous, when backers backed the game you didnt back a random youtuber voice since that wasnt even on the table, asking for a refund becuase of some issue you didnt even backed is atrocious, if you asked for a refund because you wanted the wiiu cancelled version is understandable but because a voice actor that was replaced and wasnt even on the drawing board when the backers putted their money in its ridiculous.

heck they could already be on the fence with his voice acting for all we know and wanted a pretext to replace it for a better one.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Because it would have killed sales, third party games sold like s**t on the Wii U, so it was a wise decision, but there are people who are butthurt XD
Exactly. That's the exact reason why.

The WiiU was a commercial failure and they knew that on the WiiU it would have sold like shit so they've delayed the Nintendo version for the Switch.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
baicaly this lol, so he should be able to say anything hewants but the devs cant change the voice actor? that makes no sence lol.

Also asking for a refund becuase they changed one voice actor that does mumbles is ridiculous, when backers backed the game you didnt back a random youtuber voice since that wasnt even on the table, asking for a refund becuase of some issue you didnt even backed is atrocious, if you asked for a refund because you wanted the wiiu cancelled version is understandable but because a voice actor that was replaced and wasnt even on the drawing board when the backers putted their money in its ridiculous.

heck they could already be on the fence with his voice acting for all we know and wanted a pretext to replace it for a better one.
I believe players have a right to get a refund for any reason they choose. Maybe they changed their mind? If I backed the game, I would personally ask for a refund because the company are acting like total scum bags and banning players for disagreeing with them and banning them for asking for refunds. Any company that bans their customers for asking for refunds are scum bags in my book.

Reactions: Xiphiidae and Garro

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really not sure what this thread has become... But to answer the OP, I backed the Kickstarter for the Wii U version, and got my order moved to the Switch version. I don't regret backing it and I'm still looking forward to getting the game when it comes out. I understand it's by no means a flawless game but hey ho, it looks like an enjoyable if not clunky collect-a-thon - and that's all I ever really expected.

Reactions: Futurdreamz

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It always come back to the JonTron drama sooner or later. And that's proof enough that it might've been better to have done nothing.

And to everyone who aren't understanding why "hearing some random YouTuber's grunts" is important... it isn't. At all.
I'll give you my personal opinions here:
I like JonTron as a content creator, his videos are funny. His voice is recognizable and he sings quite well for an amateur. I don't agree with his political beliefs (actually I'm not all that in the loop. I'm not a U.S. citizen, and it all doesn't concern me), however those beliefs aren't shoved down my throat in his videos. He had an argument with someone that started in a live stream, and was continued on Twitter. Who cares?

But this is the thing that makes me pissed and sad. Jon has been an outspoken fan of Banjo-Kazooie for a looong time, making videos about the games and bringing a new wave of hype to the game just as every YouTuber that speaks highly (or even badly) of some old game does. When he speaks of wanting a new game in that style, a lot of fans will jump to that bandwagon. The word spreads all over the internet and the interest of the fans reaches to the developers ears eventually. Not saying he's the sole reason or anything, but he and his fans has definitely contributed. When Yooka-Laylee was announced, he was one of those hyping people up for it. No, his involvement was NOT part of the kickstarter, so no funding there was because of his voice acting! That came later.
But since Playtonic recognized how big of a fan he is, his interest, hype, and promotion - they invited him to do some voice acting, as a thank you to him / fan service for Jon's fans. That's a really cool move!
Now to remove him because of some Tweets? That sucks. It's not like the tweets were "Hey, I'm a voice in Yooka-Laylee... and Heil Hitler!", they were "personal" tweets in an argument/discussion with someone else.

And this decision to drop him comes from the guys who has a snake named Trowser in their game. (Snake named Trowser -> Trouser -> Trouser snake = Penis), and previously made games featuring sex, alcohol, singing poop, and nazi teddy bears.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because just as JonTron is entitled to his 'free speech', PlayTonic are entitled to their 'free speech' by exercising their free right to respond. In this case, their right to show JonTron the door.

For the alt-right, free speech seems to only work one way. People seem to think they're allowed to say whatever they want without taking responsibility for what they are saying.
You got him here. Sadly It seems like he will never accept it :/

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got him here. Sadly It seems like he will never accept it :/
Did you two miss the part where I literally said they had the freedom to change the game how they want? I never said they couldn't, I just did they do so at the risk of pissing off customers who will then use free speech to protest against the devs. Stop taking literary everything I say out of context and ignoring half of what I say.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It always come back to the JonTron drama sooner or later. And that's proof enough that it might've been better to have done nothing.

And to everyone who aren't understanding why "hearing some random YouTuber's grunts" is important... it isn't. At all.
I like JonTron as a content creator, his videos are funny. His voice is recognizable and he sings quite well for an amateur. I don't agree with his political beliefs (actually I'm not all that in the loop. I'm not a U.S. citizen, and it all doesn't concern me), however those beliefs aren't shoved down my throat in his videos. He had an argument with someone that started in a live stream, and was continued on Twitter. Who cares?

But this is the thing that makes me pissed and sad. Jon has been an outspoken fan of Banjo-Kazooie for a looong time, making videos about the games and bringing a new wave of hype to the game just as every YouTuber that speaks highly (or even badly) of some old game does. When he speaks of wanting a new game in that style, a lot of fans will jump to that bandwagon. The word spreads all over the internet and the interest of the fans reaches to the developers ears eventually. Not saying he's the sole reason or anything, but he and his fans has definitely contributed. When Yooka-Laylee was announced, he was one of those hyping people up for it. No, his involvement was NOT part of the kickstarter, so no funding there was because of his voice acting! That came later.
But since Playtonic recognized how big of a fan he is, his interest, hype, and promotion - they invited him to do some voice acting, as a thank you to him / fan service for Jon's fans. That's a really cool move!
Now to remove him because of some Tweets? That sucks. It's not like the tweets were "Hey, I'm a voice in Yooka-Laylee... and Heil Hitler!", they were "personal" tweets in an argument/discussion with someone else.

And this decision to drop him comes from the guys who has a snake named Trowser in their game. (Snake named Trowser -> Trouser -> Trouser snake = Penis), and previously made games featuring sex, alcohol, singing poop, and nazi teddy bears.
Don't bring logic into this! We're supposed to hate Jontron because he said things we don't agree with! This is the Internet after all..

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't bring logic into this! We're supposed to hate Jontron because he said things we don't agree with! This is the Internet after all..
Apparently disagreeing with the way playtonic dealt with the situation makes me alt-right according to other users. Because you have to agree with them to be any other political affiliation.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Apparently disagreeing with the way playtonic dealt with the situation makes me alt-right according to other users. Because you have to agree with them to be any other political affiliation.
I think it's all retarded. Back then you could have a different opinion and still be respected.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just think it's funny how people cry that JonTron isn't in it. How you even heard how the creatures "talk" in this game?
Plus I couldn't give a damn if they kept or cut him. If the game is good, great. Right now I don't know if I will ever get it. I never played Banjo and Kazooie when I was little and collecting loads of stuff on a map have never been my thing.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Likely not. I'm not really a fan of the collectathon style games, and, from what I've played on the XB1, it really isn't my cup of tea.

I had no idea who Jontron was until all of this, and I'm still not really sure who he is, or if I should care that he was removed from the game.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

One thing I will say, and I don't disagree with what you've said as a non American I'm not really in the loop about the whole jontron thing, but when you say who cares, well, I do a bit and the reason is this..

I'm in my mid 30's so personally I don't care or 'get' this whole youtuber thing but my teenage daughters do, and these youtubers should be acting like responsible role models.

When they make comments, no matter how off hand or un thought out, they are influencing impresisionable minds. Children are watching these people and listening to their views and using these as a major basis for their own views and decisions.

These aren't some cartoon character spouting poor gags, these are relatable peers and role models who are in a position of respect and admiration, they absolutely should be made to respect the position they are in and act responsibly despite their personal views. Casual racism should not be passed onto a new generation or treated like it is okay.

By cutting jontron voice from the game at least, in some small way, this guy is having to face up to his actions, and children are being shown that you cannot simply say whatever you want and it be okay.

I don't want my kids to think it's okay to be racially discriminating, and I don't want them watching somebody who does. They may be just some tweets, but from a role model to the Twitter generation they should be treated with slot more care and respect. After all would you feel the same if your child's teacher was saying the same things.

Last edited by Risingdawn,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I will say, and I don't disagree with what you've said as a non American I'm not really in the loop about the whole jontron thing, but when you say who cares, well, I do a bit and the reason is this..

I'm in my mid 30's so personally I don't care or 'get' this whole youtuber thing but my teenage daughters do, and these youtubers should be acting like responsible role models.

When they make comments, no matter how off hand or un thought out, they are influencing impresisionable minds. Children are watching these people and listening to their views and using these as a major basis for their own views and decisions.

These aren't some cartoon character spouting poor gags, these are relatable peers and role models who are in a position of respect and admiration, they absolutely should be made to respect the position they are in and act responsibly despite their personal views. Casual racism should not be passed onto a new generation or treated like it is okay.

By cutting jontron voice from the game at least, in some small way, this guy is having to face up to his actions, and children are being shown that you cannot simply say whatever you want and it be okay.

I don't want my kids to think it's okay to be racially discriminating, and I don't want them watching somebody who does. They may be just some tweets, but from a role model to the Twitter generation they should be treated with slot more care and respect. After all would you feel the same if your child's teacher was saying the same things.
Well said. My respect for you sir.

Reactions: Risingdawn

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I think the reaction is justified but it was a poor business decision.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BTW the whole of season 19 of South Park relates to this situation scarily accurately.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well said. My respect for you sir.
Cheers :) maybe I'm just being a bit of an old git but I do worry as a parent that my children are idolising people that essentially have free reign to do and say anything they wish with no repercussions, many times little more than children themselves and I'm glad that a company has stood up to say actually we don't condone this even to detriment to themselves and highlighted the issue.

Reactions: DeslotlCL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-