Do you still plan on getting Yooka-Laylee for the Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Apr 8, 2017.

?

Will you purchase Yooka-Laylee for the Switch?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Maybe (was expecting a better game / will wait for a price drop)

35 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    The game seems to be OK but to be fair, I was expecting an amazing platformer due to all the overhype the game had going for it. Yooka-Laylee on MetaCritic has a score of 74/100, though that doesn't mean much if you're not satisfied with the final product.

IGN gave it a fair review too:

I will but only if it isn't overpriced because it's not like in the coming months the Switch won't have games available to play, in fact, with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe it'll be the most played title until Christmas (Super Mario Odyssey) for sure. I've already gotten ready and bought a USB LAN to have my Switch connected to the web wired. :)

MAXLEMPIRA and Reecey like this.

2. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    maybe, i'll play it on pc first. if i really like it and want to play it again, i might get it on switch too, whenever it comes out

3. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    I will. 3D platformers are few and far between these days, and sandbox ones even more so. 3D Platformers often get a heap of criticism, the reviews don't concern me.

What does concern me is that Playtonic really handled the Wii U cancellation/Switch port very poorly. I don't mind the port- but if they'd just decided to do it earlier on they'd have saved themselves the trouble of failing to port a game to a failing console and we probably wouldn't have to wait we-still-don't-know-how-long for the Switch version.

Arguably, this game should have found its home with Nintendo.

Last edited by MarioFanatic64, Apr 8, 2017
  4. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I am thinking about it but I'm going to wait and see what people think about the switch version first.

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    The verdict seems to be that if you like old 3D platformers like Banjo, you'll like this. If you don't, then you won't. The main critisism seems to be that it's almost too faithful to the 90s 3D plaftormer formula, warts and all.

I'll be getting it for the Switch - it's exactly the kind of game we bought the console for and will fill the gap until Super Mario Odyssee.

6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    I'm trying to save for a hottub so prob get it for the PC :creep:

7. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    Do take reviews with a grain of salt, not every reviewer is as die-hard as a fan as you may be (otherwise they would be that hyped for the hundreds-thousands of games they review). Everyone has different tastes and tolerances, I for one can look past camera controls because its what I've gotten used to.

8. Risingdawn

Risingdawn GBAtemp Pickle

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I don't take too much notice of reviews, these people are paid to be critical, have no investment and reviewing something is far different from simply playing something.

I do read them though for information, gameplay, systems and potential flaws but I generally ignore the score at the end and use my own judgement.

That said I'm not that interested in yooka, it sounds to be very much another banjo game and I've never been that into them, if it was cheap maybe but for now Rare Replay seems like the better value for money for this kind of fix.

9. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I will. I love the old collect-a-ton games, and I know what to expect from the game (something I believe many reviewers didn't).

I am miffed that it's delayed for the Switch (but that's understandable). I'm miffed about it not getting a cartridge release. And I'm not super happy on how they handled the JonTron thing.

But I still want it, and it's a Nintendo game in my eyes.

10. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I will be boycotting this game and any other future titles that this studio eventually produces.

Dropping a voice actor because he simply told the truth.

11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Not my favourite genre TBH.
    And with it costing <price should be in the OP considering "will wait for a price drop" is a poll option>, I feel it is too much.
    Perhaps if there is a price drop I will consider it.

12. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Yes yes and yes again!. I'm certainly going to grab a copy, I'm really hoping for that Banjo Tooie rush again! Banjo Kazooie was very good but Banjo Tooie was so good!

Edit: also the price is good by the look of it! retailing @£26.99p I have read :)

Edit Again: Banjo on the Xbox360 sucked bad! erghhhhh!!! it was that bad I thought :( It went from having that nice Nintendo Platformer feel to that Microsoft Platformer feel and that's why Microsoft should not have Platformers for there consoles and leave Nintendo to that department I think!

Last edited by Reecey, Apr 8, 2017
  13. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Looks ok and give that old tomba, bonjo feel.
    But just dont seem worth it to me. Seems like something is missing for me. And seen some of the reviews and they say a few levels are kinda empty.

14. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Well, if it is €20 I buy it, it it is €40 I don't.
    Anything in between, I think about it.

15. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    its 39,99, you can think about it now ;P

Quantumcat, Zense and sarkwalvein like this.
  16. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    The price will drop before you know it. I'll pick it up when it's £20 at GAME or cheaper on Amazon. No rush.

17. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.2-1-zen
    Not until Jontron gets added back. (^;

18. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    TBH I've never heard of jontron, but surely if you don't update day one patch you won't patch his voice work out: so I understand.

Im probably wrong but hadn't the game gone gold before they removed him?

19. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    JonTron can go do one, to be honest. The poor didums thought he could be racist on the internet and hide behind free speech. 'Free speech' also means that PlayTonic can disagree and show him where the door is. I'm sure he's crying himself to sleep in his parent's basement.

20. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    No Jontron no buy