Gaming Do you still plan on getting Yooka-Laylee for the Switch?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 8,299
  • Replies 135
  • Likes 2

Will you purchase Yooka-Laylee for the Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • Maybe (was expecting a better game / will wait for a price drop)

Votes: 35 27.8%

• Total voters

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Normally, playing Banjo Kazooie and it's sequel, I didn't have to go far out of my way to progress the game. Find the jiggies, get stuff along the way, and I'm good. I don't recall having to backtrack that much at all. From what I read in multiple reviews, to progress the game, you need 100 out of 145 pages to reach the end. That's quite a bit.
100/145 = 68.966%

In Banjo-Kazooie:
Total Notes: 900
Total Jiggies: 100
Notes required to reach Grunty: 810
Jiggies required to reach Grunty: 94

810/900 = 90%
94/100 = 94%

Reactions: Deleted User

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it would have killed sales, third party games sold like s**t on the Wii U, so it was a wise decision, but there are people who are butthurt XD
^^This

More specifically... why would anybody PAY for the game, if it was released on a system that allows you to get it for free? Not supporting WiiU is a smart move. I hate to say it, but the same could be said about the 3DS, now that the Switch is an alternative choice to play on the go.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100/145 = 68.966%

In Banjo-Kazooie:
Total Notes: 900
Total Jiggies: 100
Notes required to reach Grunty: 810
Jiggies required to reach Grunty: 94

810/900 = 90%
94/100 = 94%

Correct, but as I said before, I don't recall having to backtrack a lot like apparently reviewers need to do in Yooka Laylee. I never felt like my progress was halted at least. Of course this is personal opinion and maybe I was just lucky but Banjo Kazooie's world, while beautiful for the time, wasn't that big either. A lot of comparisons you get from Yooka Laylee and Banjo is that Yooka Laylee's world is huge. Which normally is a good thing, but apparently not in this case.

EDIT: Now that I read my first post, it was poorly worded. I generalized collect-a-thons, and should've just said that you shouldn't need to feel like you have to backtrack or go far out of your way to progress the game.

Last edited by s157,

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Correct, but as I said before, I don't recall having to backtrack a lot like apparently reviewers need to do in Yooka Laylee. I never felt like my progress was halted at least. Of course this is personal opinion and maybe I was just lucky but Banjo Kazooie's world, while beautiful for the time, wasn't that big either. A lot of comparisons you get from Yooka Laylee and Banjo is that Yooka Laylee's world is huge. Which normally is a good thing, but apparently not in this case.
You haven't played Yooka-Laylee, how do you know how you'll 'feel' when you play it? Anything you 'recall' or 'feel' about Banjo isn't applicable for comparison until you actually play Yooka-Laylee.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You haven't played Yooka-Laylee, how do you know how you'll 'feel' when you play it? Anything you 'recall' or 'feel' about Banjo isn't applicable for comparison until you actually play Yooka-Laylee.

True, but most reviewers who played it have played the original Banjo Kazooie and its sequels (and make numerous comparisons), and have similar opinions, which is what I'm basing mine on. Look at the GBAtemp user review for BotW. Despite his low score, which is obviously biased and he makes it clear, his bias is that of a diehard traditional zelda fan and how he disliked how BotW is as far as you can get from the traditional formula. So if I hadn't played BotW and shared a similar mindset to him, he would give a pretty good example of what to expect as a Zelda fan. Almost all reviewers of this game tell you what to expect of this game as they've played similar games.

Buying a game knowing all these opinions and then regretting it later? That's not my thing. If I enjoy it, great, but I don't, I'll just have to hope I got the steam version and can get a refund.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, because everybody who thinks racism is a sh*tty thing must be a far-left so-called 'sjw', right? What has happened to the internet?

No, everyone who is a whack job reactionary who wants people disenfranchised for whatever they deem racist, which nothing Jon Tron said fits that bill would be classified as a far left SJW.

What has happened to the internet is Globalism driven tech giants pushing propaganda & censoring valid opinion emboldening far left whack jobs who scream racist at everything because they lack intellect.

Last edited by jimbo13,

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Switch version delayed - Alright that's understandable as long as we get a good port with less bugs.
Digital only - This downright sucks and no I'm not willing to pay an extra $10 for a physical release.
Reviews average is low - Last time I didn't care for low reviews the game was not really good, not worth the price (even used) or worth the time invested (my fault as I just wanted to finish what I had started) - (Dawn of the New World - Nintendo Wii)
No Jontron - Like WTF?

Absolute no buy...all would be forgiven if it is an outstanding game.

Last edited by Nemix77,
Reactions: Xiphiidae

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch version delayed - Alright that's understandable as long as we get a good port with less bugs.
Digital only - This downright sucks and no I'm not willing to pay an extra $10 for a physical release.
Reviews average is low - Last time I didn't care for low reviews the game was not really good, not worth the price (even used) or worth the time invested (my fault as I just wanted to finish what I had started) - (Dawn of the New World - Nintendo Wii)
No Jontron - Like WTF?

Absolute no buy...
Unlike the PS4 and Xbone versions, this one is being made BY Playtonix, just as the PC version was. I'm expecting less bugs, possibly better performance.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on buying it, but because they got all political and removed jontron I'm not anymore. I'll probably just pirate it on PC. I want to play the game but I'm not giving playtonic any of my money. They need to leave their political ideals and censorship out of their game making decisions. His personal views in no way impacted his professional skill.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on buying it, but because they got all political and removed jontron I'm not anymore. I'll probably just pirate it on PC. I want to play the game but I'm not giving playtonic any of my money. They need to leave their political ideals and censorship out of their game making decisions. His personal views in no way impacted his professional skill.
The public image it portrays is the problem. You can blame the politically correct rejects for this. It actually could have drastically affected any sales they may or may not have gotten. You have to look at it from a business sense, and not personal.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The public image it portrays is the problem. You can blame the politically correct rejects for this. It actually could have drastically affected any sales they may or may not have gotten. You have to look at it from a business sense, and not personal.
From what I've seen their damage control is costing them more money than if they had just not removed jontron. They themselves are causing drastic effects on sales trying to avoid jontron causing them (which I believe he still would have had little to no impact on sales had he been left in)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
From what I've seen their damage control is costing them more money than if they had just not removed jontron. They themselves are causing drastic effects on sales trying to avoid jontron causing them (which I believe he still would have had little to no impact on sales had he been left in)
Its possible on either side.. They went with the option that they though best suited their public image. To me, it was a cop out

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TBH I'm glad they did. Not because of Jontron himself - I have no idea who the hell he is and don't care - But I really think that having celebrity cameos is a very gimmicky bad idea. It'd be like Super Mario 64 having a representation of Adam Sandler that seemed cool at the time but now just feels awkward and sad.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Reactions: Thirty3Three

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you wanna make a stand, just don't play it. If you're not willing to sacrifice your playing of the game, then you're really not showing any conviction and are nothing more than a common pirate.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would agree with you, but then they went full retard and started deleting comments and banning people for asking for refunds and disagreeing with Playtonic. Feels a bit like Mighty Number 9 lol.

These game devs really need to get better at hiring their PR dept.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you wanna make a stand, just don't play it. If you're not willing to sacrifice your playing of the game, then you're really not showing any conviction and are nothing more than a common pirate.
Saying the game is bad and saying the company is bad are two separate things. Even if the company is complete crap they can still output a good game. Wanting to play a game because you've been excited for it for months and even years but not wanting to financially support that game now because the company makes poor decisions is not the same thing as common piracy. I've even in other threads stated I gladly pay for content to support devs. And if I was a common pirate I would have already downloaded the game anyway, but instead I wait to see if any changes occur due to the extreme backlash the company is getting

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saying the game is bad and saying the company is bad are two separate things. Even if the company is complete crap they can still output a good game. Wanting to play a game because you've been excited for it for months and even years but not wanting to financially support that game now because the company makes poor decisions is not the same thing as common piracy. I've even in other threads stated I gladly pay for content to support devs. And if I was a common pirate I would have already downloaded the game anyway, but instead I wait to see if any changes occur due to the extreme backlash the company is getting
If you're not willing to suffer not playing the game, then you are not showing any conviction; it's just common piracy. In the end, you are putting yourself ahead as you will be both playing the game, and not spending any money. That is self-serving rather than any meaningful self-sacrifice.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you're not willing to suffer not playing the game, then you are not showing any conviction; it's just common piracy. In the end, you are putting yourself ahead as you will be both playing the game, and not spending any money. That is self-serving rather than any meaningful self-sacrifice.
Read what he wrote again. He's making a value judgement about not wanting to support the devs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1