Hacking Do you guys think Nintendo will ever make a *fully* unsoftmoddable wii

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget kids, the gamecube was around for at least 2 years before any way to play back ups happened.

The PS3 is popular enough that backup loading will eventually happen.

bushing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Also, the LU64 issue is NOT the same thing as boot2v4. And v4 was a deliberate fix since the exploit that BootMii uses to install to boot2 is none other than the trucha bug. v4 was the first one to get rid of it.

Care to explain how you arrived at that conclusion (that the two issues are not the same)?

boot2v4 has the fixed signature checking code ... which doesn't matter, because it's never used. boot2 checks no signatures.

boot2 is built out of the same codebase as the rest of IOS -- that's the only reason that code even exists in boot2. boot2v4 is just a recompiled version of boot2, rebased off the new IOS code.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came to that conclusion because not all Wii's with boot2v4 are the so called "unsoftmoddable" ones that won't accept the downgraded IOS's that everyone here loves to use and abuse. But if I was wrong about the trucha bug, then so be it.

MagicDrumSticks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oxMUDxo said:
I wasnt going to leave a post but then I read you're screen name "Magic Drum Sticks" yum..!!

Anyway there is "NEVER" going be a Hack proof system theres always a way t o hack em', if it reads data, saves data and or updates it will be hackabule...

DEagleson,
The PS3 has a simpule USB hack to run backups and it works on all PS3 systems to date, I' 80% sure..

It seems that these new/ updated systems get hacked quicker and quicker these days...
I just wish Dark-Alex would get the PSP 3000 figgered out already...PSP 3000 still unhackable.
frown.gif

If they could stop all this fun stuff they would...

lol thanks!

Oh and it's interesting that the PS3 doesn't even have a modchip yet, you'd think that at least they would have that by now. Usually softmods take a lot more time from hacks but a modchip is modchip, you just add code to the console through a seperate piece of hardware, softmodding requires you to basically read the code and manipulate it.

SublimeAndEtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ pretty much everyone talking about the PS3:
sigh

As for the Wii, I doubt it will ever be totally secure. Maybe they'll do better in the next generation, but we'll just have to wait and see.

xvinh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SublimeAndEtc said:
@ pretty much everyone talking about the PS3:
sigh

As for the Wii, I doubt it will ever be totally secure. Maybe they'll do better in the next generation, but we'll just have to wait and see.
I hope not. Seriously the next generation of Wii is the only system I'm looking forward to (obviously it will be the only system that's affordable, the console, the game disks and all, no hope for PS4, Xbox 720 or whatever). If Nintendo makes it unsoftmoddable, there will be nothing left but my old Wii and the way outdated graphic of Wii games.

bushing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
I came to that conclusion because not all Wii's with boot2v4 are the so called "unsoftmoddable" ones that won't accept the downgraded IOS's that everyone here loves to use and abuse. But if I was wrong about the trucha bug, then so be it.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, right. Looks like I had stuff backwards, then. I just swore that there were Wii's that couldn't accept BootMii-boot2 but aren't the LU64-type.

carvalho2707

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey guys..

i'm trying to run backup games in my 4.0e wii.. but i can't do it, because i don't have any guide..
can you give me a step by step guide?

bushing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Ah, right. Looks like I had stuff backwards, then. I just swore that there were Wii's that couldn't accept BootMii-boot2 but aren't the LU64-type.
No, you have that part right. I'm still trying to work out the exact cutoff points, but it looks like Nintendo fixed boot1 in late 2007 and then at some point in late 2008-early 2009, they made some minor hardware changes (probably to cut cost) and rolled out boot2v4 ("LU64-type").

So, there's a year or so's worth of Wiis that are not "unsoftmoddable" but still can't install BootMii/boot2, and then in the last few months they started shipping Wiis with new hardware that required updated versions of IOS and boot2. So, just based on the dates, we can say that all boot2v4 Wiis have a fixed boot1 -- but not all Wiis with a fixed boot1 have boot2v4.

Maybe it's time to bust out OmniGraffle.
smile.gif

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I get it now. But the change resulting in the "LU64-type" wii was a cost cutting move? If that's the case, it's funny how that ended up being a barrier to backup playing for a good while. XD

Big Kong Boss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whenever Nintendo releases something new, Wiis, Firmware, etc., I'm always gonna try to just wait until it gets patched or an exploit comes about. If it TRULY can't be bypassed, well....damn :wtf:

zebadboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well this is so much dumb topic (sorry) just take the new SSBB's exploit... the "loader" can't even be patched by nintendo (since it's his own game) ... so the only way to stop hackers would be to have a system who wouldn't have the old IOS (like LU-64) but, unless i'm wrong, that would require a lot of money (nintendo don't wanna spend it on this), and I'm pretty sure there would still be ways of doing a custom IOS out of the new ones, a cIOS implementing the trucha signed bug and well.. here you go XD

All in all , the only "unhackable wii" would be the last one, when the console'll dead, nintendo could release an unwrittable wii (like for boot1, you know) ... wich would be just realllly dumb since it would mean less sales
tongue.gif

PS: This is only my opinions, I'm not a hacker, but i've read a lot
tongue.gif
I might be wrong on some points but.. you get the idea: There won't be unsoftable wiis ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==