Hacking Do you guys think Nintendo will ever make a *fully* unsoftmoddable wii

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PS3 can be hacked it just that its harder to do and people have less interest in it.

With Nintendo, you can be sure as the sun rises, their next console will locked up tighter. Things like usb ports, sd card slot will all be gone and replaced by a more expensive and restrict proprietary devices. Sure it will still be hackable, but how much harder would it be to soft mod the Wii if we could not use sd or usb to load stuff from?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
misteromar said:
PS3 can be hacked it just that its harder to do and people have less interest in it.

With Nintendo, you can be sure as the sun rises, their next console will locked up tighter. Things like usb ports, sd card slot will all be gone and replaced by a more expensive and restrict proprietary devices. Sure it will still be hackable, but how much harder would it be to soft mod the Wii if we could not use sd or usb to load stuff from?
you do not know if the ps3 can be hacked.. and usb/sd/etc don't have to be removed for good security, the ps3 models that have ALL that still can't be hacked.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
manias said:
misteromar said:

you do not know if the ps3 can be hacked.. and usb/sd/etc don't have to be removed for good security, the ps3 models that have ALL that still can't be hacked.

Well all security has flaws in them. The problem I can see is that its to expensive so no one wants really to try to hack it, and the Blu-Ray is just a big mess. Expensive burners and Blu-ray mediums.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First Nintendo will never make an unhackble machine. If people seriously put their minds to it they can hack most if not all hardware (Ipods, phones, handheld and home consoles, satellite receivers, XM, you name it). Second PS3 is hackable but they can play homebrew and install OS's like linux but they can't play backups. As far as the Blu-Ray is concerned, they in theory could use a usb backup loader as we do with our Wii's. People will do most anything if there is enough interest in it.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendos wii has been fully cracked. We are already on the inside of a massive amount of nintendo's code...... Meaning that we already know most if not all of Nintendo's weak points in the system. they can patch one and we will just use another. there is a reason all the potential exploits were never released all at once. because if nintendo knows which possible holes we can use they know exactly what to patch. Yes they could still patch them but until they are a problem for nintendo that's lossing them money thats not going to happen....... So bassically the chances of them stopping all softmods is slim to none. Not to mention the fact that with each new update there are new potential security holes......

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
First Nintendo will never make an unhackble machine. If people seriously put their minds to it they can hack most if not all hardware (Ipods, phones, handheld and home consoles, satellite receivers, XM, you name it). Second PS3 is hackable but they can play homebrew and install OS's like linux but they can't play backups. As far as the Blu-Ray is concerned, they in theory could use a usb backup loader as we do with our Wii's. People will do most anything if there is enough interest in it.

You can't hack UK DVB-S recievers, I'm surprised you can anywhere anymore.

Sony gave actual hackers enough to keep them happy and stop them really wanting to hack it any further, and I bet at some point in the future they will put out an updated hypervisor that allows hardware 3d in homebrew, but only after the platform is dead (so maybe a couple of months
wink.gif
)

Some future model of the Wii will probably be practically "unsoftmodable" because by the time ppl almost work out how to do it most will have hacked Wii HDs, XBOX 1337s, PS4 if Sony are still in the game, or whatever they will name them.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Esentially the PS3 Was set right. they blocked the 3d hardware use in any guest OS..... So essentially thats the only thing that homebrewers could possibly want to aim for as far as hacking the system. Now pirates well obviously we all know what there goals are. Either way the Wii as is will never be fully locked down.... They would have to both make a completely new hardware set as well as rebuild the software from the ground up. this just is not going to happen. it's as simple as that.

thc42O

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
proprietary media ie Blu-ray *sort of* is the only way to make ur system secure.

back in the day there were VERY few cartridge pirates because most ppl dont have a cartridge reader.
They need to make their games on media not available to the public thus ending piracy.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The problem with propietary media is that it costs a hell of a lot more to produce and they cant really charge a lot more for the games so they lose out on profits and have to spend more on R&D so it will cost them more to go that direction , also they could end up with no sales and bang goes that market for them if that happens.

Also nintendo dont make all their games so their console sales are more important to them than the game sales. With people capable of hacking the device they sell more , but they are contractually bound to try to stop all hacking which is why they do when its required.

pembo

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm convinced that when you look at the PS1 / PS2 and now the Wii, the console that is the 'most hackable' always wins the console war of its generation!

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I read the article someone linked here. Seems like Sony has really done something.. I just think the writer has weird atitude for knowing that much.. Thankfully were saved from those greedy, dirty, sick bastards that call theirselves hackers..

Anyways.. @topic: They shall try.. I think it is indeed possible, maybe if they release the Wii HD it'll work a little bit on the same way as DSi as in it goes to compatibility mode when playing Wii games where it lock down the hardware etc. and it's done properly. Or they could copy how Sony did it and add an extra processor (core?) to look after everything you do..
biggrin.gif

As for the current system being patched so it won't be hackable, I don't think so. There's so many games ready to be exploited to run some of our own code. Maybe not cIOS or even installabe channels at first but I've got pretty high hopes as bushing and co. seem to simply pull new exploit from their sleeves when a previous one is patched..
biggrin.gif

And Pembo, I'll have to disagree that PS2 was the most hackable.. Xbox is pretty damn cool also.
biggrin.gif

bushing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MagicDrumSticks said:
I personally think so, once they find all the ways you can exploit the system its bye bye softmod
frown.gif
Lu64+ was only the first step IMO
"Lu64+" (aka boot2v4) was just an accident.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, the LU64 issue is NOT the same thing as boot2v4. And v4 was a deliberate fix since the exploit that BootMii uses to install to boot2 is none other than the trucha bug. v4 was the first one to get rid of it.

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
linuxares said:
Well all security has flaws in them. The problem I can see is that its to expensive so no one wants really to try to hack it, and the Blu-Ray is just a big mess. Expensive burners and Blu-ray mediums.
Yes, it is too expensive to buy Blu-ray disks (~$25 for one disk) and the burner (~$300). Any game system can be hacked.

Reboot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
acesniper said:
linuxares said:
Yes, it is too expensive to buy Blu-ray disks (~$25 for one disk) and the burner (~$300). Any game system can be hacked.

BluRay burners are 159.99 now
Media is cheap too

The problem lies in the adopters. It was a far too expensive console for the 'mom and pop' types to hack away and get at it as a community. The avarage joe doesn't (or didn't at least in the beginning) own a ps3, because the avarage joe doesn't (or didn't) own an HDTV either. This leaves it to the 'pros' which while experts, can sometimes be weary of releasing their findings to anyone but the developer.

On topic: No, they can't and won't.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
tomazzzi said:
There won t be any way to run pirated games on a PS3, NEVER.

Sony did the job just fine.
Ok, you obviously don't know what you are saying. There is a modchip in (heavy) development. It has been for about a year now. The problem is, playing backups will be expensive, due to the cost of bluray dvds and burners. There are less people interested in cracking the ps3 because of this. There is a way to play ps2 backups, but that's only with the early 20gb and 60gb models and it isn't simple.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)