Do you expect 1080p to be standard for next-gen games?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 2,694
  • Replies 36

Do you expect 1080p to be standard for next-gen games?

• Yes

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 57.1%

• Total voters

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1080p will be typical for ps4 and x720, but somewhat rare for wiiU. Although a little more common for the wiiU than ps360.

thats so full of shit cause its based on nothing but wishful thinking

generally, i dont expect 1080 to become standard, after all, the thing below already gives you great visuals, its cheaper to make, will be faster, and allows for more effects and frames/second.

not that it wont happen, obviously there will be 1080 games, some might even get that at 60 frames, but i'd guess they often will opt for 780

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yeah considering existing consoles (PS3, 360) already do 1080 in some games, I'd expect newer consoles to do at LEAST the same. So 1080p should become standard on those consoles hopefully. But we have no indication as to when those consoles will be released.
If microsoft suddenly comes up with a new console released this year, it might be hard to make 1080p a standard given current state of components (if they want to keep the costs of the console low)
wait 2-3 years then yeah 1080p could be a standard. At 60 fps.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Games using semi-recent engines and such (ones that poll info from the GPU and pass rendering to it) can scale to any resolution supported by the hardware. In a few years somebody could be playing GTAIV at 4K. XD

It's sort of jarring when you go back to some older games and they don't list proper resolutions for your hardware. Hit that issue with Fable today.

I mean, other than games with static resolutions and a limit because that changes the draw distance (D2).

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bitch please, 1080p is old
Next-gen games should be 4k2k widescreen, but i and everyone know first next-gen consoles will come out and in 2years 4k2k TV's will come :(, and then we're angry becuz xbox720/ps4/wiiU doesn't support 4k2k :(

Reactions: 1 person

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Random google result (source):

720p-vs-1080p.jpg

Now...am I REALLY the only one who cannot see a goddamn fucking difference between those two*?

Even more fun with a youtube video. Honestly: I have no friggin' idea.

So unless those google results are off, my answer is: no. Differences that aren't showing shouldn't be bothered with. If the graphical power is better used elsewhere (eg. smoother framerates), then by God: USE it elsewhere.

Jeez...I was never much of a graphics whore, but at least the difference showed. I predict this resolution will have a pretty hard time convincing people. And those 2k and 4k ones even more.

*in quality, that is. Don't bother pointing out that the bottom right of the first picture has more green in it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it mirrors a conversation we had in IRC but I am not convinced of the need for 60FPS. It is occasionally nice to have when making videos to do a fairly quick pan or slow things down and not end up with massive jumps between frames but most of the time I am OK with 30. I also have to wonder how much is a factor of poorly calibrated screens (or ones that can not balance input with refresh rate properly which is quite a few) or an equivalent of the audiophile effect (here it is not a case of if it sounds better to you I am happy for you and your bank manager as it does cause actual resources to go somewhere).
Designing towards variable frame rate with the associate move towards an equivalent of backface culling for it could be interesting to see in games.

1080p... although I am equally not entirely convinced of the merit of HD video I want higher (text and splitscreen (which sadly seems to be on the way out although I would go for some of those 3d technologies that allow dual screens in a single one) aside it starts to get interesting around 1400 vertical res for me). Mainstream screens were quite nicely increasing in size and resolution for years and then everything seems to have hit a brick wall (also laptop screens....) and it only recently seems to have picked back up at something resembling reasonable prices. Spat out over a VGA cable the 360 does manage a few odd resolutions so I am quite happy to have the potential option for higher.

Don't expect it. Devs are all about the graphics, even if it means running lower res and having a horrible framerate. It's apparently sacrifice everything for the pretty colours.
Granted it was probably a turn of phrase and I agree with the sentiment but are you really going to say that about this go around in consoles/graphics hardware?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
(also laptop screens....)
They've lost so much progress they actually slipped backwards into vertical 768.

It'd be funny if it weren't so bad.

Yeah I had to explain that to a few clients that previously had circa 2002-2004 machines* with nice 1024 vertical res screens and more recently got given laptops from companies after so much business in a month or something ("I used to be able to fit the entire site on the screen, which was smaller").... at least it is not such a desperate search to actually find one with a decent res now as it was in 2010.

*between ram, cleaning out the fans and the very occasional SSD upgrade/hard drive replacement most seem to be ticking along nicely which is more than I can say for the slightly later ones ones when Vista being crowbarred into things it really should not have been put on, BGA, lead free solder and what have to be the least reliable inverters in history met up to ruin everything. Oh well at least it got me dealing with desktop machines again.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Fair warning, I haven't read pages 2 and 3)

I wish console games had more advanced options like PC games do. Let the players decide if they want to play in 720p or 1080p. Let the players decide what they want to sacrifice to make 1080p run at 60 fps.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well some expect the other next Gen consoles to skip 1080p and go to ~2k or even 4k.
What do you (more specifically soulx) think about that?

To answer thread- Maybe at one point.
I was actually going to say this. Most consoles are planned or end up staying in the console ring for 5 or more years. If devs were sneaky and smart they should hide added 2K functionality in the brand new 2012 console and release peripherals or better cables when 2K becomes relevant or mass produced, circa 2014 maybe lol i dont know

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't really give a damn.
My eyes are so crappy that, even with glasses, I cannot tell the difference between "good" and "really good".

For all I care they might as well stop attempting to make games look better and just focus on everything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh