• Visual fidelity

Votes: 75 20.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
FPS.

I'd rather the game run smoothly or relatively so than better graphics.
Post automatically merged:

That made me chuckle because it reminded me of gamers in PAL regions in the 90's. lol

They'd pay more or less (or the same), yet play an inferior version of the same game. However, there were a few games that were the exception:

Here's Dragon's Lair - NTSC vs PAL

That actually looks playable in PAL format (strange to say that).

Nonsense, there were games that runs faster on European PAL (that depends a lot on how the game was ported). 50hz is not 50 fps, and FPS on a CRT is not a LED FPS. Drawing a line is much smoother for the eyes than lit on and off a LED.

European PAL games are just inferior on LED displays, but those games were not meant to be played that way to begin with, so it's the user fault.

I'm far from a CRT purist, but shitting on the European color formats (there are two as far as I know) is just not accurate.

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on the game for me.
If it's a fast paced one like, then frame-rate, you won't be enjoying the good graphics that much since everything is going fast.
If it's a slower-paced game, then I will prefer something at 30fps with higher resolution/graphics.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nonsense, there were games that runs faster on European PAL (that depends a lot on how the game was ported). 50hz is not 50 fps, and FPS on a CRT is not a LED FPS. Drawing a line is much smoother for the eyes than lit on and off a LED.

European PAL games are just inferior on LED displays, but those games were not meant to be played that way to begin with, so it's the user fault.

I'm far from a CRT purist, but shitting on the European color formats (there are two as far as I know) is just not accurate.
I didn't watch the video or whatever, but... The problem wasn't the format itself, it was when games were developed for 60Hz and the PAL versions were unchanged but running at 50Hz, so gameplay was slowed down (and also had black bars at the top and bottom because PAL has more display lines than NTSC). When devs made a good PAL conversion, they would adjust the speed and the screen size, but a large proportion of games developed in NTSC regions didn't have that effort put into them.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Games were generally slowed down and there's just no defending or excusing that.

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yep. Pal versions of old games SUCK. I 100%ed mario 64 on my wii, which was european and yep it was the PAL version. I don't even know how I put up with this, like, yeah, it's still playable but half of the fun of mario 64 is performing all these fun tricks like long jumping into a wall, then wall jumping afterwards, stuff like that is so satisfying. BUT, in the pal versions, I always messed up the timing because 1. the game was slower and 2. I played it on a normal tv and not a CRT one so that meant input lag, and lots of it.

YES, the second problem is MY fault but ugh I hate PAL versions and I am ashamed I live in Europe.

(Don't even get me started on the NAME CHANGES over here)

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As long as the framerate is consistent and at a minimum of "movie motion" 24fps, and the game is built knowing what it's framerate restriction is, I'm generally happy.
...but I mainly play retro and generally less graphically intensive games anyway, so I rarely experience unexpected frame drops; slowdown was a 'feature' of intensive games in the 16bit era ;)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Graphics quality > Frame rate > Resolution
To a degree, anyway. If I can hit 60 FPS at 1440p high/very high settings, I'm happy, but I don't mind lowering to 1080p to achieve that. Honestly can't tell much difference beyond 60 FPS/1080p anyway. But I try to avoid going lower than that.
High frame rate has never been a priority for me. It looks the same, but it feels smoother. It's not really a huge difference. I've never really been a competitive gamer and I don't play fast paced games like shooters.

xstationbr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Visual Fidelity Forever.
I dont pay to an expensive videocard or game console to ugly graphics and good FPS.
I prefer graphics.
Post automatically merged:

Graphics forever.
FPS with low quality i dont like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over