Hacking Question do you ever think it will be possible to overclock on switch?

TheSynthax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would prefer a way to downclock the Switch, when older consoles like the nes, Genesis, PC Engine, Snes are emulated, to enhance the battery life.
Modern CPUs have very good power management. It's possible that this wouldn't change much at all, depending on how well the Switch does this. Considering that this is Nintendo we're talking about, it's unlikely they have a clue how to optimize their hardware.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what i've seen building pcs most manufacturers use thermal compounds between cpu/gpu and heatsink that are optimised for longevity rather than maximum thermal dissipation so a proper aftermarket thermal paste + better fan (I wouldn't mind even if it were louder) could seriously improve perfomance especially in docked mode where power management isn't such an issue.
You know, the noise level for the fan isn't really all that terrible. And when it's 6-8 feet away from you in the dock, even less so. I'd be okay with a louder, but better heat dissipating fan.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
There are no reason that the chip in the Switch can't go at its normal speed. "Overclocking" the Switch doesn't present any risks therefore, only an eventual overheat but the console will thermal throttle to not break if the Switch cooling system is not enough

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least on a video on youtube he saw that everytime he did something more intensive on zelda and the FPS lower he also saw that the temps always spike when it lags. So everytime it reaches that same temp it just lags, though it doesn't exactly mean its throttling, but its a possibility too.
There are no reason that the chip in the Switch can't go at its normal speed. "Overclocking" the Switch doesn't present any risks therefore, only an eventual overheat but the console will thermal throttle to not break if the Switch cooling system is not enough
judging by the motherboard it self, I don't know if its exactly possible to get the full Tegra X1 stock clocks on nintendo Switch.

Nvidia Shield TV motherboard is using VRMS that are found in powerful PC GPU's so I'm thinking even if its possible to drive the Tegra X1 on the Switch to its stock factory clocks, the motherboard might not be able to handle it for much time and might do some damage even if you have enough cooling.

Last edited by guily6669,

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay. we know very little about how the switch works. hell, we do not even have a working launcher at this point (though the community is close) so if this is possible in the future, do you think we will ever overclock the switch's Tegra X1 chip?
Yes it's possible. Just dock it and you're done.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would prefer a way to downclock the Switch, when older consoles like the nes, Genesis, PC Engine, Snes are emulated, to enhance the battery life.

I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that nvidia tegra has a speedstep of its own.

My GTX 1060 is by no means portable and tries to keep itself cool quiet and low energy all the time.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that nvidia tegra has a speedstep of its own.

My GTX 1060 is by no means portable and tries to keep itself cool quiet and low energy all the time.
It may actually even be downclocking more than the actual portable clocks, but I still think we might be able to actually downclock it even further and still get good performance on some 2D games...

rwn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if you were to also upgrade the thermal paste with something like liquid metal or even go so far as to modify the case of the console and dock to fit a larger fan, but I think the biggest problem would be thermals... The switch gets hot as hell as it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh