Hacking Question do you ever think it will be possible to overclock on switch?

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So is using 1080P bad for performance compared to lower resolutions?

It depends. Disclaimer: I know very little about the switch hardware but I do know general programming. A game that is designed to run at 60 frames per second completes all the needed functions in a game and displays the graphics required for that frame within 16 milliseconds. If it takes a shorter time, it waits until the 16 milliseconds is up before moving on to the next frame's functions. If it takes longer, however, it takes up to 33 milliseconds, "dropping the next frame" so it can complete the laggy frame.

If, due to minimal graphics requirements and well optimized code, the added processing power from docking the switch reduces the time taken to process each frame more than the increased resolution taxes the system's graphical hardware, then no, docking leads to an improvement. (This might be a rare case though, I'm not sure exactly how much resources processing vs rendering consumes in todays games)

If the code is poorly optimized and the models are clumsy and high poly, or there are a lot of other graphical expenses that cause the frames to take longer than 16ms to display, then upscaling the graphics will have a negative effect on framerate. However, this only applies if your system cannot keep up. A poorly optimized game will still run well upscaled provided its simple enough to complete all the needed code on a frame by frame basis with time to spare.

I haven't played a lot of the switch but I have played quite a variety of games. I think the only games I have played to have dropped framerates in docked mode are Zelda, Mario Kart, and Portal Knights. Oh I think ARMS did but not noticably

Last edited by HexZyle,

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if we'll see any aftermarket internal coolers for the Switch once it's split open. I imagine it probably wouldn't be hard to find replacement fans that are superior to what we have already. That paired with a software controller for the fan, we could probably see increased cooling.

Jesus, I haven't been this excited for the future of a device since I got my Vita(knock on wood).

boscocraftXD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I see everyone in a discussion war over the Switch and what I mean by OC.

The Tegra X1 in the switch has a SERIOUS clock limit (probably due to temperature, and power consumption). I can see the need for this on a hybrid console, but it also limits the speed of the console by underclocking the chip. Do you think we able to restore the system to a Tegra's normal clock speed, and if so, how would we overcome low power, and increased GPU temperature?

Reactions: Jayro

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States

The Tegra X1 in the switch has a SERIOUS clock limit (probably due to temperature, and power consumption). I can see the need for this on a hybrid console, but it also limits the speed of the console by underclocking the chip. Do you think we able to restore the system to a Tegra's normal clock speed, and if so, how would we overcome low power, and increased GPU temperature?

We wouldn't be able to unless we can take it apart and mod it ourselves.

Best bet is to overclock it a bit and check battery as you do so.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Low power can be overcome by carrying around a power brick with you. Most already do it, so it wouldn't be all that much of an inconvenience. Of course, if it's in Dock mode, then power doesn't matter because it'll be connected to an AC source. That's that solved. As for the temp, the Tegra chip is rated at a TDP of 10 watts, with current switches pulling 16 from the wall at max load (Zelda, busy scene). From all of the videos I've seen, the fan almost never turns on unless it's docked and that could be due to the poor ventilation the Switch has in the dock. The easiest solution would be to add a secondary fan to the dock, use the dock mod that's 3D printed and creates a new airway where the Switch is blocked, open the device up and possibly change the integrated fan and thermal paste, etc.

This device is more a computer/tablet than anything else that's been released. Because it has active cooling, we have a lot of options to choose from when it comes to figuring out how to best cool the device.

In my opinion, it's not "can we fix the temp problem from increasing clock speed", it's "how do we want to do this?".

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering that games are usually optimized for very particular hardware specifications on consoles, overclocking the Switch might actually break many games, rather than give the performance boost I think you all are expecting.

While I can understand this when speaking about FPS limits breaking games (Darksouls, Zelda on CEMU), I don't think having the hardware run faster would necessarily cause problems. What makes you think so though?

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
While I can understand this when speaking about FPS limits breaking games (Darksouls, Zelda on CEMU), I don't think having the hardware run faster would necessarily cause problems. What makes you think so though?
If a game's systems relied on the hardware operating at a certain speed, it could break things, like with your FPS example. A lot of the times, this pertains to physics. But also, it could be that the games aren't capable of running any better either, what with frame rate locks and optimizations.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a game's systems relied on the hardware operating at a certain speed, it could break things, like with your FPS example. A lot of the times, this pertains to physics. But also, it could be that the games aren't capable of running any better either, what with frame rate locks and optimizations.
Hmmmm... I could see this with Physics. A faster tick could cause problems, but I don't know enough about coding nor engineering to comment on this confidently. I wonder what effect this would have on games that are locked at a certain FPS, but can't maintain it (which I think is the case for almost all games on the Switch now. Not saying that all games can't maintain it, but no games have an unlocked FPS limit). Maybe we could have per-game clocks. For instance, Bayonetta clocked at 1.0GHz whether it's docked or not to ensure you're getting a constant 60FPS. As for Homebrew, I don't think we'd necessarily have this problem considering that the homebrew would be created by the community, thus probably wouldn't have a weird FPS cap to it unless it were necessary for some odd reason.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but tricking the console in portable mod at full dockstation power outputting to the switch main screen would be amazing basically the game at full power on portable, but I think it might require a 14v power brick as it eats lot more power and the battery would probably either not supply enough voltage or discharge\die very fast.

But I would make a custom 14v power brick with the lipos I have which I don't use...

Ps: OC Over the dockstation clocks would probably work better for emulators, android, Linux and other custom software, most games will probably be locked and stable at 30fps which would be pointless to OC for most games...

Last edited by guily6669,

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay. what im talking about is a little... complicated....

as many Android owners will know, it is technically possible to OC a phone by flashing the ROM on the system with a custom ROM with a system OC feature, allowing you to increase the clock speed to your heart's content...

but is it possible to do this with the switch?
It is not complicated at all. Also, overclocking has nothing to do with the ROM, nor is it a "system overclock feature". This all has to do with the kernel.

And even with the stock kernel, you can ramp up clocks to their max state, and change governors. Seeing as how the switch manages two different governor states (at least), I'm sure there a few overclock frequencies we can oc to, just the system has a limited in place. Gain kernel access, and get the ability to state clocks available, and set it. No need to flash anything. Although if we can get access to the kernel source code (not sure if Nintendo has to comply with GPL), then we can make kernels that do whatever we tell them to.
This last part is not likely.

bomtowers

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if we'll see any aftermarket internal coolers for the Switch once it's split open. I imagine it probably wouldn't be hard to find replacement fans that are superior to what we have already. That paired with a software controller for the fan, we could probably see increased cooling.

Jesus, I haven't been this excited for the future of a device since I got my Vita(knock on wood).
From what i've seen building pcs most manufacturers use thermal compounds between cpu/gpu and heatsink that are optimised for longevity rather than maximum thermal dissipation so a proper aftermarket thermal paste + better fan (I wouldn't mind even if it were louder) could seriously improve perfomance especially in docked mode where power management isn't such an issue.

Aerogems

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so can someone smart explain to me how putting the switch into the dock which most of the purpose is to charge the system using the USB Cable and output image to a tv help with performance when people was complaining bout breath of the wild having framerate issues in some areas and then people saying that not playing with the dock helps fix them. Can someone do it when is less confusing to me please? :blink:

So 720p is 1280x720, or 921,600 pixels/frame, and 1080p is 1920x1080 or 2,073,600 pixels/frame. If my math is correct, that's 2.25X more pixels/frame for 1080p than 720p. So the 50,000ft overview, so to speak, is that there are over 2X as many pixels in every 1080p frame compared to 720p frame, and docking the Switch does not provide a 2X boost in clock speed.

Alex Atkin UK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would prefer a way to downclock the Switch, when older consoles like the nes, Genesis, PC Engine, Snes are emulated, to enhance the battery life.

Its most likely that in Linux it will already be doing this as the kernel is designed to dynamically adjust the clock speed based on load.

Nintendo built the Switch to last, I'm almost certain that Nintendo only kept the clocks this low for battery life (but in portable and maintaining capacity over the years of ownership), fan noise and to avoid the Switch from being particularly hot to the touch after running docked, especially in hot countries who might not be using air conditioning.

I'd be very surprised if the fan cannot spin up MUCH faster than we have ever experienced in normal use.

My AIO PC for example under any load I have thrown at it with the fan on automatic, never runs the fan close to full speed. A good cooling design will have a lot of leeway to avoid it running flat-out both for noise and fan longevity.

So yes I definitely think we will be able to increase the clock rate (at least in Linux), but I don't think we will get full X1 speeds as the Shield TV looks to have a much beefier fan. Its also possible that Nintendo are using reject chips that couldn't reach the full clock speeds in the first place, so our leeway may vary per unit.

After-market mods for the Switch that make it a bit fatter with a bigger fan and potentially a bigger battery too could definitely help there.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK,

bones123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably. But don't. Why would you need to? Switch games are optimized for the hardware, overclocking will likely just cause problems and can damage your hardware. And if you're thinking of overclocking for Linux or something, you're just asking for a dead console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1