Do you celebrate Halloween in your country?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am in the US, we do celebrate it here. Most people don’t really complain much where I live but I used to see Evangelical Christians getting butthurt over it when I lived further south. Working retail/sales, I would get the occasional Christian trying to convert me and tell me that Halloween was a Satanic holiday and that Satanists killed people on that night. The irony that I was standing there with Satanic symbols on my jewelry and later tattooed on my hands made me deeply uncomfortable around these people

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Here on Colombia we do not celebrate Halloween, our holiday is the catholic festivity on November the first, is called «Día de todos los santos difuntos» coincidentally as far I know Halloween is the contraction of «All Hallow Eve» which is the eve of the catholic festivity.

On the recently years the «Día de los brujitos» (Little witches day) as is called by the commerce, the October 31 has been aggressively diffused trough the media and exhorting the kids to get costumes and go to malls asking for candies is only a marketing strategy more a Holiday or celebration, The malls have captive audience, and desperate parents who buys anything only to have their kids happy. And the kids have the peers pressure to get a custom.

SadOrigami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
I am in the US, we do celebrate it here. Most people don’t really complain much where I live but I used to see Evangelical Christians getting butthurt over it when I lived further south. Working retail/sales, I would get the occasional Christian trying to convert me and tell me that Halloween was a Satanic holiday and that Satanists killed people on that night. The irony that I was standing there with Satanic symbols on my jewelry and later tattooed on my hands made me deeply uncomfortable around these people
But did you killed someone at night tho? :ha:
Here on Colombia we do not celebrate Halloween, our holiday is the catholic festivity on November the first, is called «Día de todos los santos difuntos» coincidentally as far I know Halloween is the contraction of «All Hallow Eve» which is the eve of the catholic festivity.

On the recently years the «Día de los brujitos» (Little witches day) as is called by the commerce, the October 31 has been aggressively diffused trough the media and exhorting the kids to get costumes and go to malls asking for candies is only a marketing strategy more a Holiday or celebration, The malls have captive audience, and desperate parents who buys anything only to have their kids happy. And the kids have the peers pressure to get a custom.
¡Siempre encuentran la manera de monetizar todo! :rofl2: Pero mientras los niños tengan una razón para salir y hacer amigos ahora que es más difícil que antes supongo que no está tan mal...

• Wow
Reactions: SylverReZ

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm from México (Viva México cab...es!!!).

We celebrate "Dia de Muertos", which was named "Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity" by UNESCO in 2008, and I'm very proud to say that many other countries are adopting or already celebrate this tradition with their own variations.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They always find a way to monetise everything! :rofl2: But as long as the kids have a reason to go out and make friends despite it being harder than before, I guess it's not so bad....
Christmas is by far one of the worst times of the year. Overused music everywhere you went, its a life or death situation. :rofl2:
Also, a reminder that this is an English speaking forum. :P

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Over here in [unspecified central-european country] Halloween isn't as present. There are the occasional reminders that it exists (like ghost-shaped potato chips or chicken nuggets on store shelves), but when it comes to the dress-up and candy hunt, you won't find that many who indulge in it. Didn't really carry over, I guess and I'm absolutely fine with that. My gf is preparing sweets just in case someone's knocking at the door regardless, but we had years without any candy-thirsting kids already. I'm curious what it'll be like this year.

• Wow
Reactions: SadOrigami

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP

Do you celebrate Halloween in your country?​

This is my wifes favourite holiday thing, she's mad for it. She gets all dressed up and has a party and gives all the local kids sweets and stuff. Personally I just go along with it for peace. TBH I like the Mexican Day of The Dead better as it seems more family orientated and honors your ancestors (as you should), also the makeup/fancy dress looks better than dressing up as a halloween vampire/ghost or something like that.

• Love

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ha! No.
Ww have something better that comes from prehistpanic times.
800BC people of Tenochtitlan were already celebrating "Dia de los muertos" (not called the same) in which people would mourn their deceased beloved ones 4 days every period for 4 years.
It was believed that the soul of dead ones spent 4 years in "limbo" before reaching the definitive place to rest in peace.

Halloween is different. That's fricking consumism.

People celebrates Halloween because they have no culture.

• Wow

SadOrigami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm from México (Viva México cab...es!!!).

We celebrate "Dia de Muertos", which was named "Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity" by UNESCO in 2008, and I'm very proud to say that many other countries are adopting or already celebrate this tradition with their own variations.
Ha! No.
Ww have something better that comes from prehistpanic times.
800BC people of Tenochtitlan were already celebrating "Dia de los muertos" (not called the same) in which people would mourn their deceased beloved ones 4 days every period for 4 years.
It was believed that the soul of dead ones spent 4 years in "limbo" before reaching the definitive place to rest in peace.

Halloween is different. That's fricking consumism.

People celebrates Halloween because they have no culture.

Do you celebrate Halloween in your country?​

This is my wifes favourite holiday thing, she's mad for it. She gets all dressed up and has a party and gives all the local kids sweets and stuff. Personally I just go along with it for peace. TBH I like the Mexican Day of The Dead better as it seems more family orientated and honors your ancestors (as you should), also the makeup/fancy dress looks better than dressing up as a halloween vampire/ghost or something like that.
Mexico is my favorite country and Dia de los Muertos my favorite holiday! It's so wholesome to use a holiday to actually connect with our family, specially those that are not around anymore :wub: Just look what they've done to christmas lol
Christmas is by far one of the worst times of the year. Overused music everywhere you went, its a life or death situation. :rofl2:
Also, a reminder that this is an English speaking forum. :P
Oh, okay! I was just answering in their native language. Never again lol ;)

thehawksfuckingdead7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
In Morocco we don't really celebrate it, however in english and american schools and I think also spanish schools they celebrate it by throwing a party where some people go with their disguises.

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here in the Peoples' Republic Of Florida, it seems like the lower classes really get into costumes and spend crazy money on outdoor ornaments that will soon be in a landfill or rot in place. I'm not sure about the wealthier classes as no one else is allowed into their pristine gated enclaves. It may depend more on whether or not you are a breeder.

A few years back, I got into carving pumpkins but I had to stop because they were attracting rats which then attracted rattlesnakes. btw, all snake repellant/trap products are snake oil. Except maybe a mongoose or a gun.

• Haha

SadOrigami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Here in the Peoples' Republic Of Florida, it seems like the lower classes really get into costumes and spend crazy money on outdoor ornaments that will soon be in a landfill or rot in place. I'm not sure about the wealthier classes as no one else is allowed into their pristine gated enclaves. It may depend more on whether or not you are a breeder.

A few years back, I got into carving pumpkins but I had to stop because they were attracting rats which then attracted rattlesnakes. btw, all snake repellant/trap products are snake oil. Except maybe a mongoose or a gun.
A gun... noted :yay:

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
1699556467891.png

• Haha

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the USA so...quite a bit

I ate some m&ms on the fateful day and went to a haunted house

It was all good fun

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't, it's not my holiday. We just go on a graveyard, pray and lit a candle, like above. It's a calm and nostaligic day to slow down and think about fragility of life, plus you can buy cheap chrysanthemum flowers in discout price few days later so you can decorate your window. Previously sometimes i liked to craft in pumpkin, last year i diged a Kiki and it looked very easthetic. Pumpkin soup is also tasty. This year I didn't buy any, just traditional meal - bigos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1