Hacking Do you bother to update your Wii?

xboxinoz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm currently on 3.1E with a Pal Wiikey 1.9g set up.

I know 3.2E has been out for a while but I've had no reason to update to it.

I'm also always very weary of updating because of the modchip and whether, as people tend to fear, whether an update will mess up trucha, wiiscrubs, or indeed stop backups working altogether.

I'm therefore wondering what the consensus of opinion is here? Do you always update to the latest firmware as soon as you know it is safe? And if so, do you tend to update from wiiconnect or just via disc updates? Do you think I should update to 3.2 now or is it pointless? I mean part of me as the feeling of why tinker with something when everything works whilst another part of me thinks I should be keeping up to date even if it is to a firmware that is not used by a game yet.

So anyway, enough babble, what do you guys think?

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nope, I don't - it's probably because I haven't booted my Wii up in a while.

But, I usually do take the time to update the firmware, if there is a new one (and it doesn't screw with my modchip, of course).

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've updated my Wii many times since I've had my Wiikey installed with no issues, but who knows, down the road there could be issues with doing so. The trick is to wait until other people do it first and report their findings
tongue.gif

dweirdo

Trophies
XP
Country
my advice is update now or never,because for now the updates are not harmful,and maybe in the future some games will need a wii with 3.2 firmware,but when the game is out,the newest update will be 3.3 which blocks freeloader trucha bluh bluh, so u wont be able to download the 3,2 firmware.
so update now, i promise it wont bite
biggrin.gif

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm on 3.2E, and I just did the update from the US version of Brawl ... and if that didn't murder my Wii, I don't reckon anything will ...

However, I am not updating when the next update comes out, 'til it has been confirmed that the next update does not cause FreeLoader issues.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I installed the wiiware update. But not before checking it was safe to do of course.
Perhaps the next major firmware update will contain fixes (zelda fix, trucha fix) and so this is probably the last change to get ready for wiiware and still keep all the cool stuff

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i don't update unless a game only runs with the latest update and even then there are tools to remove those updates now, i have no use for wiiware (not that we europeans are getting it anytime soon anyway)

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
xboxinoz said:
I'm currently on 3.1E with a Pal Wiikey 1.9g set up.

I know 3.2E has been out for a while but I've had no reason to update to it.

I'm also always very weary of updating because of the modchip and whether, as people tend to fear, whether an update will mess up trucha, wiiscrubs, or indeed stop backups working altogether.

I'm therefore wondering what the consensus of opinion is here? Do you always update to the latest firmware as soon as you know it is safe? And if so, do you tend to update from wiiconnect or just via disc updates? Do you think I should update to 3.2 now or is it pointless? I mean part of me as the feeling of why tinker with something when everything works whilst another part of me thinks I should be keeping up to date even if it is to a firmware that is not used by a game yet.

So anyway, enough babble, what do you guys think?

I'm always on the latest firmware that leaves homebrew open (3.2E at this time). Seriously, why wouldn't you want to be on the latest firmware with its behind the scenes bug fixes and the ability to use the shopping channel >.

xboxinoz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well after reading about the new update today potentially putting in place files that will mess with Trucha I guess I'll hold at 3.1 after all!

It always worried me that hidden in an update would be something that would make people think everything was still ok but then the big N would flick a switch and screw us all over because we'd all updated in the false belief everything was still fine.

phaerun

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
oh for sure they can feed you whatever they want with each update. so far there is no problem for me though.

3.2E and i did the 20/3 update for wiiware.
all trucha games are fine for now.
I am updating whenever i can though. the way i see it, if they want to screw up freeloader or trucha they can do it with the update (that might be) in mario kart for example and which you will need in order to play that game (or any new game).

soooo i am taking my chances here
tongue.gif

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
kedest said:
I installed the wiiware update. But not before checking it was safe to do of course.
Perhaps the next major firmware update will contain fixes (zelda fix, trucha fix) and so this is probably the last change to get ready for wiiware and still keep all the cool stuff

Just quoting myself there. I was right! I installed the wiiware update just in time
tongue.gif
Now I'm ready for wiiware and for now, not at risk of loosing trucha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to