Do you bother to update your Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by xboxinoz, Mar 22, 2008.

1. xboxinoz
    OP

xboxinoz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm currently on 3.1E with a Pal Wiikey 1.9g set up.

I know 3.2E has been out for a while but I've had no reason to update to it.

I'm also always very weary of updating because of the modchip and whether, as people tend to fear, whether an update will mess up trucha, wiiscrubs, or indeed stop backups working altogether.

I'm therefore wondering what the consensus of opinion is here? Do you always update to the latest firmware as soon as you know it is safe? And if so, do you tend to update from wiiconnect or just via disc updates? Do you think I should update to 3.2 now or is it pointless? I mean part of me as the feeling of why tinker with something when everything works whilst another part of me thinks I should be keeping up to date even if it is to a firmware that is not used by a game yet.

So anyway, enough babble, what do you guys think?

2. Upperleft

Upperleft Namcoholic

Aug 15, 2007
    i didn't update
    but i don't think that the update will screw your modchip up
    many have updated and nothing happened

3. DYE_Slayer

DYE_Slayer Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2008
    United States
    Just update. Mine is updated to 3.2 without problems

4. TaMs

TaMs Randomizer

Nov 15, 2006
    Finland
    3.2 is overrated. : |

5. Daimao

Daimao Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2008
    Belgium
    latest update will let you use the wiiware channel when it's released so....

6. JPH

JPH Banned

Banned
    Jul 11, 2006
    United States
    Nope, I don't - it's probably because I haven't booted my Wii up in a while.

But, I usually do take the time to update the firmware, if there is a new one (and it doesn't screw with my modchip, of course).

7. JKR Firefox

JKR Firefox Back.

Nov 18, 2006
    Canada
    Canada
    I've updated my Wii many times since I've had my Wiikey installed with no issues, but who knows, down the road there could be issues with doing so. The trick is to wait until other people do it first and report their findings [​IMG]

8. dweirdo

dweirdo GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    my advice is update now or never,because for now the updates are not harmful,and maybe in the future some games will need a wii with 3.2 firmware,but when the game is out,the newest update will be 3.3 which blocks freeloader trucha bluh bluh, so u wont be able to download the 3,2 firmware.
    so update now, i promise it wont bite [​IMG]

9. Bob Evil

Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

Sep 27, 2006
    Out of the corner of your eye
    I'm on 3.2E, and I just did the update from the US version of Brawl ... and if that didn't murder my Wii, I don't reckon anything will ...

However, I am not updating when the next update comes out, 'til it has been confirmed that the next update does not cause FreeLoader issues.

10. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    I did updates yesterday, Why?

I like to see the WiiWare stuff [​IMG]

I really can't wait to see how it will compete with xbox live arcade and the ps3 one.

11. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    I installed the wiiware update. But not before checking it was safe to do of course.
    Perhaps the next major firmware update will contain fixes (zelda fix, trucha fix) and so this is probably the last change to get ready for wiiware and still keep all the cool stuff

12. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    i don't update unless a game only runs with the latest update and even then there are tools to remove those updates now, i have no use for wiiware (not that we europeans are getting it anytime soon anyway)

13. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
    I'm always on the latest firmware that leaves homebrew open (3.2E at this time). Seriously, why wouldn't you want to be on the latest firmware with its behind the scenes bug fixes and the ability to use the shopping channel >.

14. katsuce

katsuce GBAtemp Fan

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Here and there
    I don't update anymore, updated to 3.1 when UR MR GAY had been released, and I see no reason to update now

15. xboxinoz
    OP

xboxinoz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Well after reading about the new update today potentially putting in place files that will mess with Trucha I guess I'll hold at 3.1 after all!

It always worried me that hidden in an update would be something that would make people think everything was still ok but then the big N would flick a switch and screw us all over because we'd all updated in the false belief everything was still fine.

16. bosscolor

bosscolor GBAtemp Fan

Dec 4, 2007
    France
    Toulouse
    They are traitors ...
    They maybe can hide a secret file in the update wich can brick your wii in a special consequence. I don't trust Nintendo

17. phaerun

phaerun GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2008
    Greece
    Αθήνα
    oh for sure they can feed you whatever they want with each update. so far there is no problem for me though.

3.2E and i did the 20/3 update for wiiware.
    all trucha games are fine for now.
    I am updating whenever i can though. the way i see it, if they want to screw up freeloader or trucha they can do it with the update (that might be) in mario kart for example and which you will need in order to play that game (or any new game).

soooo i am taking my chances here [​IMG]

18. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    Just quoting myself there. I was right! I installed the wiiware update just in time [​IMG] Now I'm ready for wiiware and for now, not at risk of loosing trucha

19. legendofphil

legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

Nov 19, 2002
    I update, usually when the updates are released but I don't have a modchip or freeloader (yet).

20. perimbean

perimbean GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2007
    Senegal
    Singapore
    I've updated my wii as and when required (for gameplay).

Currently it's on 3.2J.