Hacking Question do we need a switch with 3.0.0 now? (RCM)

DerProGamer2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,
i wonder if we need a switch 3.0.0 to get homebrew and such installed in the near future because the RCM Methode exploid thingy came out and every switch to date is vulnerable right? so you could install it with this methode because i tried it on my 5.0.0 switch and i could boot linux with wifi, bluetooth, touch and so on.
I'm asking because i have another switch with 3.0.0 and thinking about selling it because of the rcm thing.
sorry for my bad english i'm german.

D

Deleted User

The scene is moving extremely fast. If your already on 3.0.0 or can access a 3.0.0 Switch, that's great. However, because the Switch Scene is moving so fast, there's going to be new exploits soon.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,
i wonder if we need a switch 3.0.0 to get homebrew and such installed in the near future because the RCM Methode exploid thingy came out and every switch to date is vulnerable right? so you could install it with this methode because i tried it on my 5.0.0 switch and i could boot linux with wifi, bluetooth, touch and so on.
I'm asking because i have another switch with 3.0.0 and thinking about selling it because of the rcm thing.
sorry for my bad english i'm german.
For the current state of the bootrom exploit it doesn't which FW you're on.
A 1.0.0 Switch is however the best as it'll get a permanent softmod solution (correct me if I'm wrong).
About 3.0.0 I don't know but chances are there that it will get a softmod solution as well while >=4.1 might rely on that home button jig thing.

Edit: You could've posted that question in another thread instead of creating a new one though ...

Reactions: x65943

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RCM Methode exploid thingy

I misread this as RCM Metroid Explode Thingy lmao

Yes, RCM affects all Switches. But it's still good to have a lower firmware switch since it will supposedly make everything a LOT easier.

If you wanna sell it, sell it. But if it were me, I'd wait a bit unless I need the cash now.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I cannot see any point in staying on a lower firmware anymore, if you have splatoon and online games update your switch and enjoy! This exploit on any firmware will do anything and everything that a lower firmware exploit can do! That’s my opinion by the way I would not stay on a lower firmware. Also the HBLauncher now works on any firmware.

I understand you have to mod your switch over a lower firmware exploit but it’s not rocket science to complete.

Last edited by Reecey,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That’s my opinion by the way I would not stay on a lower firmware. Also the HBLauncher now works on any firmware.
And that's where you might be proven wrong.
It could be the case that you would always need a "trivial" hardmod and a PC/Android connected via USB to fire up things on higher firmwares.
So stay as low as possible. God it's only a few weeks until we have more infos on which firmware will get which softmod method. How can anybody be so impatient?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kate did say 3.0.0 still has an advantage.. I think it has something to do with pegaswitch. Might be a way to launch cfw using pegaswitch.

Reactions: lordelan

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Did I miss this update? How do I access homebrew on 4.1.0?
What I meant was HBL had now been proven to load through CFW on any firmware so just waiting a while for this is way better than staying on a lower firmware and missing out on free online gaming! While it lasts.

DerProGamer2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I meant was HBL had now been proven to load through CFW on any firmware so just waiting a while for this is way better than staying on a lower firmware and missing out on free online gaming! While it lasts.
well i have 2 switches one for playing and one for homebrew and cfw so online play is not an issue for me

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
And that's where you might be proven wrong.
It could be the case that you would always need a "trivial" hardmod and a PC/Android connected via USB to fire up things on higher firmwares.
So stay as low as possible. God it's only a few weeks until we have more infos on which firmware will get which softmod method. How can anybody be so impatient?
It’s been proven already sd works loading cfw. Read the threads the guy on the job of developing the cfw has shown a video proving all this information.

Last edited by Reecey,

Thatcher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand the lower the firmware the easier the execution, although this will probably change over time I'd stay on 3.0

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I understand the lower the firmware the easier the execution, although this will probably change over time I'd stay on 3.0
I hardly think the softmod method to boot into RCM mode is considered "easier". It definitely takes longer (boot info OFW - launch exploit - reboot into RCM - lauch CFW).

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're partially right.

4.1.0 and lower have the availability to use software mods currently (4.1.0 being a slight exception as the software mod is not readily available to the public). Everyone higher has to use a hardware mod or jig. For now, this is where everything is.

Did I miss this update? How do I access homebrew on 4.1.0?
You can't, at least not yet. Atmosphere (read, one of it's sysmodules) is capable of loading software off of the SD card now, meaning HB is available to all FWs at this point, however, Scires had to do some freaky stuff to get it to boot, nothing that works well for an enduser. So, just sit tight. It'll be here soon.

Reactions: windhazard

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is it worth staying on 3.0? In my honest opionion no, but if you have no reason to update, then don't

Pros - you don't need to boot up using the Fusee Gelee every time(which literally takes 30 seconds) and if you leave your switch in sleep mode it doesn't even matter.

Cons - you have no access to the e shop mario oddyssey or pretty much any good game that has been released over the last year.

Reactions: Reecey

DerProGamer2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it worth staying on 3.0? In my honest opionion no, but if you have no reason to update, then don't

Pros - you don't need to boot up using the Fusee Gelee every time(which literally takes 30 seconds) and if you leave your switch in sleep mode it doesn't even matter.

Cons - you have no access to the e shop mario oddyssey or pretty much any good game that has been released over the last year.
wait what do u mean with booting with fusee gelee?

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
wait what do u mean with booting with fusee gelee?

Its the exploit that is currently allowing people to run linux on the switch(on any FW), its future proof of any software update Nintendo tries to throw at the switch(at least with the current models on the market)

Its the means people will have above 4.1 to be able to load homebrew content and within in the very near future by the looks of things. In laymans terms it involves shorting 2pins (9&10)together on the right joycon.

Last edited by Jackson98,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.