Do scary movies/games scare you? Do they appeal to you?

Do horror/psychological thriller games/movies appeal to you?

• Yes

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never liked horror movies simply because they do nothing for me. They don't scare me and the story is usually lackluster.

Scary games (like resident evil) do scare me. Something about being in control makes the fear factor more real. I don't like playing these games generally because they make me anxious.

All of this results in basically, the horror genre of games and movies does not appeal to me.

I'm curious what you guys think.

Do horror movies scare you? Do they appeal to you?

Do horror games scare you? Do they appeal to you?

Reactions: Flame and SaulFabre

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Usually I don't like the genre for more or less the same reasons as you. I do not fell fear at all, so I do not reach the immersion intended by developers. There are the jump scares, like something popping up unexpected on screen, but aside of those moments I don't feel the "magic".

That said, there are awesome horror games and movies that can be enjoyed even for people that do not enjoy the genre, because they are good in other areas too. I can put as examples Alone in the Dark, Alien Isolation, Resident Evil 1.

D

Deleted User

I enjoy watching Horror Movies and TV Series as they are funny for me.
Lately, though, I have not been able to find a good Western one so I'm hoping the Ju-On TV Series is decent enough.

Horror Games do nothing for me per se; what actually gets me excited are really tough Bosses that overwhelm you with their Minions.
Interestingly, though, this Game Mechanic is mostly found in Horror titles, so there is correlation albeit it no causation.

Right now, I am enjoying a rerun of Diablo, but with the Belzebub Mod.
It gives me the fun of grinding for Unique Drops but still plays along with the original Diablo narrative, unlike the Developer's more recent Portable Mod.

Personally, I don't think I'm the type to be scared; in the Paranormal circles, people categorise me as Indigo, which means having the ability to see, though I would argue against that definition.
I actually have a real-world Ghost experience that proves the point, but that is most likely Off Topic and a story for another time.

Reactions: x65943

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I can't really answer Yes or No to this question.
Do the games scare me? not really. I do get stressed out by plenty of them though, depending on the game engine. I don't like games where I have to hide, sneak, or can't defend myself properly.
I do like games like Silent Hill, where you always have a fighting chance to defend yourself, and can play it either by running away from enemies, or killing every single one. And you can save how many times you want, at certain locations - unlike (the old) resident evils with their ink ribbons for example.

Movies? Yeah I like good horror. Slashers and formulaic movies are often boring though, but the ones that are well thought out and requires some thinking - those are great :) (Jacob's Ladder is a good example, also connecting to Silent Hill in a way (it was part of the inspiration for the games).

Books and manga and such? Yes please :)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I'm watching by myself then no, but there's nothing funnier than being with someone who is genuinely frightened by a movie. I'm laughing to myself just thinking about it.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
usually just jump scares in modern games.

Nowdays we are so used to "free" blood and gore in videogames in general, nothing scares us anymore.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I like playing horror games, but only because I hope I can find one that is actually scary and not just "heehoo jumpscare" and then bland story like most tend to be. There are a few good atmospheric horror games, like Alien Isolation and such, but beyond that I just haven't found anything really scary.

Same for movies for the most part, horror films are so terribly written that it's just hard for me to be scared by them.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actual I avoid Games like Silent Hill and Company.
I also avoid (newer) Horror/Paranormal and whatever Movies.....

Maybe I am too "old".....I have no Idea,why I do no longer like it.....

pffft I'm older than dirt. But those kind of movies Scare the :shit::shit::shit: out of me. :blush:

I also have silent hill around here somewhere. lol

Last edited by AncientBoi,

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly I find "scary movies" funny. It more of I find the fact that the characters do the opposite of what they should do do stupid its funny. Like if the "monster" only kills people that it see's having sex, all the teens have an orgy, then can't figure out why it is killing them. Also my grandma is the same. Last time we watched a horror movie together was the original Child's play movies, we would both be laughing at how ridiculous Chucky is as a character.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I feel like it.

I watched "Mark of the Devil (1970)" and that was honestly disturbing. Back then they'd decide who was a "witch" and they could torture or worse.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That don't scare me anymore. I enjoy some horror movies, the ones that aren't necessarily trying to scare you but just mess with your head. Horror games are eh. If the gameplay is good they can be fun. If they exist solely to try to scare me then they have already failed.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For the first question: No

For the second question: Kinda? If it has graphic gore then it's something that I might watch.

Seen so much real gore that I can be like:
"That's not how you'd bleed"
"That's not enough to cut you/your" (body part)
"You wouldn't die for that"

And it's kinda annoying to me to see something inaccurate and exaggerated for entertainment purposes. Like in JP gore movies and blood sprouting out like a fountain from a missing limb... that's just unteal unless an artery has been cut, and even then, the heart pumping blood will become weaker as a result of blood loss and the scene would be overall impossible.
See? I did it there.

I rarely find "scary" movies "scary".

If I'm going to watch fantasy situations I'm better off watching Sci-Fi or Comic baded movies (which are a ton of not including just Marvel and DC)

Also, jump scares are fucking anticipated and generally predicted by me because movies overuses sound cues/camera shot cues... apparently it's a norm... fucking hate it.

That or I'm not as naive as the general audience. And that's annoying!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over