NULL

Do people still use HomePass?

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by drfsupercenter, Feb 3, 2014.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    It probably was.

I think I'm affected by the "last software" thing... this is very weird. I've gotten about three tags total on Tomodachi Life, one from a local McDonald's and two from leaving my 3DS in my car and having people walk by me (I work at a location that's in a strip mall so I occasionally do get tags)
    But I let my HomePass station run all night, got zero Tomodachi Life tags. I even met a couple people with the game as their "last played software", so that's just absurd.

I'll try your suggestion about Swapnote (I don't have StreetPass turned on in it) and see if that helps.

Unless there are new MAC addresses I should be using? I'm still using the original list I posted before.

2. Sychophantom

Sychophantom I'm a plant.

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    I've noticed Tomodachi Life has slowed down in HomePass lately. I get more for Pokemon and , sadly, Kid Icarus.

Isn't 4E:53:50:4F:4F:47 the one that should be used for Tomodachi and AC:NL? That one should get something, at least.

How many Streetpass-enabled games do you have active?

3. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I got 9 of them last night, so I think that's good.

I never seem to get all 10 in one go, same goes with Mii Plaza. I just get 9. Still better than none, LOL

4. Sychophantom

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    That's probably because you're getting repeats, at least in Mii Plaza. Too many people use cycling programs.

5. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    No, I mean it literally shows 9/10 in notifications.

6. Sychophantom

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    I figured.

HomePass has a few quirks, that being one of them. It's something I call a "ghost pass", which is when you get a repeat but it doesn't trigger a notification. The Streetpass plaza seems to be the most heavily hit.

Another is that you get 6 people on the first mac, but only 3 on the second, and a third mac might not net you anything. For max hits, you're best off doing it manually and after each mac. (Sometimes, you may not even get 6. Haven't figured out why yet.)

7. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    What do you mean by manually? Usually I just leave my system closed overnight while the MAC shuffler is doing its work every 10 minutes.

It's also interesting because I know when StreetPass Relays began, you only got *one* tag per relay point, hence the reason we made so many community MACs. Now you get 5 or more with one, even legit ones like McDonald's and Best Buy.

8. Sychophantom

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    I mean no shuffling programs. Those are the main reason people get repeat Miis.

9. Zombie_Fetus

Zombie_Fetus Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2009
    United States
    I tried using Homepass for the first time, using MACycle on my desktop with a Netgear N150 Wireless USB Adapter. I thought I had everything set up correctly, when a MAC address is set, the USB adapter glows, and on my 3DS it shows that there's a Nintendo Zone in the area (though, I can't connect to it). So, I thought if I had ran the MACycle through the night, I would eventually get StreetPasses, but I received none. Am I doing something wrong? Or, do I need to turn something off on the 3DS? Not sure where to ask for help about homepass, so I thought it would be best to ask in this thread.

10. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    Had the issue with my 4.4 fw, i think it's cause streetpass relays got introduced shortly after, works on my emunand.

Just started using it recently after getting gateway, though rather than installing cycler on my desktop i've created wirtual wifi network on my router and change mac manualy from time to time.

11. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, StreetPass relay didn't exist until 6.1 if I remember correctly.

12. Sychophantom

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    Something I've noticed lately is many of the MAC addresses listed in the Spreadsheet seem to no longer be working. I've tested some with 2 different HomePass methods and neither gave a result, even from my own units.

The Extended Primes seem to work still.

13. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    4E:53:50:4F:4F:45
    4E:53:50:4F:4F:46
    4E:53:50:4F:4F:47
    4E:53:50:4F:4F:48
    4E:53:50:4F:4F:49

definitely works, at least worked when i tried it. didn't check all yet.

14. Tane

Tane GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States
    I manage the Homepass Spreadsheet (see link in sig), and also personally run SpillPass on my Raspberry Pi at home. I've had no issues with getting lots and lots of Streetpasses from the Primary & Extended MACs. Given, I have not tested each one individually, but as my Pi cycles through them it seems to work great. Let me know if specific MACs are causing issues with everyone, or not working at all... we can always change ranges if we have to.

15. Sychophantom

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    In my experience, it's not from the Extended Primes. It's the listing of NZones that seem to be the culprits regarding dead Macs. It's odd, though. One day it may work, another it may not. It's making me curious just how much control Nintendo has over the relay.

NULL