Status
Not open for further replies.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also just wanted to add that when I posted something in USN I was not posting it in hopes to get it put on the front page, and im also positive that others also were not posting articles simply to have them put on the front page. Just saying. From what I gather, we can still copy and paste articles but just not in USN as every thread in the USN is apparently submitted for front page approval( I remember having to click on something for this before).
no, that option is useless anyway
My point was that the option is apparently useless..

you cant copy and paste anywhere on the forum.
p1ngpong has been locking threads in general off topic etc
most of the news flagged for the front page is simply a quote of the source site. i expect users to take a few minutes to write something in their own words. most of the internet is news which has been mirrored from other sources. let us try to act more professional than the next site by writing our own descriptions, and then link back to source posts for "more information."

anything which does not follow the formatting in the 1st post will not be allowed on the front page.
anything which is simply a quote of another site will not be allowed on the front page.
anything poorly written (grammar, spell checking, etc) will not be allowed on the front page.
-another world

This is even quoted in the OP and seems to pertain to USN, So if general off topic is affect aswell, where is the general off topic template or should we just assume its not a USN template and just a template for posting anything anywhere on the forum. Wouldnt this then need to be stickied in all the forums? It seems kind of asinine to lock a thread in one subforum and link to a thread about another subforum as reasoning.

Anyway, I hope this all gets straightened out because its quite helter skelter at the moment.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have to agree with you right now, Plagirism is a huge issue in a lot of countries in the South. A lot here in Canada, plagerizing is a very wrong thing, now I have to get my friend to stop.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is even quoted in the OP and seems to pertain to USN, So if general off topic is affect aswell, where is the general off topic template or should we just assume its not a USN template and just a template for posting anything anywhere on the forum. Wouldnt this then need to be stickied in all the forums? It seems kind of asinine to lock a thread in one subforum and link to a thread about another subforum as reasoning.
You're conflating two separate (but tangential) issues:

1. Copyright infringement is not allowed. Whether it's cartridge ROM dumps or another site's articles. This applies to the entire site.

2. Articles on the front page should follow a (relatively) uniform template. It is suggested that you use the stickied guide when posting in the USN, but only required if you want that front page option.

The copying clause in the USN template thread is just there as a reminder that copyright infringement is against the rules. It is not specific to this forum, however seeing as most of the infringing threads were here it makes sense to put such a reminder. Conversely, the USN template itself is optional here and anywhere else (except the front page).

On the issue of sources "too short" to quote: it is not a necessity to include anything more than a link. If you're feeling stupendously lazy then that can be the entire body of your post.

Note that I am not a volunteer of the site, and as such you should treat this only as my observation of their rules.

Reactions: 1 person

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a crazy idea:
1. Instead of copying, post "hey, look what I found." Maybe even make some comment on it and post the source link.
2. If you don't like that idea, don't post at all.
3. How about respecting decisions staff makes weather u like it or not. The rule will be there either way.
Just to let anyone know that doesn't already, most ppl aren't going to believe any "news" without a source linked anyway. Even if it is a copy/paste of the original.
The staff links sources when posting articles, so why shouldn't everyone else have to?
It's useless to argue it when most ppl are gonna say or think "source or stfu" anyway.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not arguing against the rule, I was just pointing out some flaws in how it is being carried out.at this present time. If it indeed encompases the entire site, then maybe the OP should be updated to reflect that, and not a quote from the USN sticky regarding post being submitted for the front page.

I'm all for removing plagiarism from the site but at this moment I can understand how people can misinterpret the rule as it is being presented.

Also, for those interested and still a bit confused on the issue, here is a nice article on the topic of news article piracy.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
ffs i just wrote loads and hit refresh >.<
I'll reply later, no time now.

Please don't write loads and reply later on. You have your life to consider! :)

So precious! ;O;
When did I say my life was precious?
I just sometimes simply don't have time to re-write entire articles, whereas 2 minutes ago I did have time to write a few sentences.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
ffs i just wrote loads and hit refresh >.<
I'll reply later, no time now.

Please don't write loads and reply later on. You have your life to consider! :)

So precious! ;O;
When did I say my life was precious?
I just sometimes simply don't have time to re-write entire articles, whereas 2 minutes ago I did have time to write a few sentences.

We never said you have to rewrite an entire article.

And your life is precious, to us all. :wub:

D

Deleted_171835

I'm fine with this rule provided that it only applies to news in the USN section (and even then I don't think there's anything wrong with a small snippet of an article). This shouldn't apply elsewhere in places such as the General Gaming Section, especially with opinion posts.

With this thread that got locked, there is no way to rewrite an opinion article in your own words without losing some of the authors original intent. Consider the fact that it isn't even news but rather a discussion piece.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Plagiarism is plagiarism no matter what section it is in, so no, this rule applies forum wide.

In your case you didn't even bother linking to the article in question, you just copy pasted the entire thing. No shit it got locked, cry more. And as I keep saying you do not need to rewrite the entire thing, just make a brief synopsis of the essence of the article and link to it.

But obviously some of you are too stupid and lazy to get that.

loco365

Trophies
XP
It's not really hard to state an entire page into a few general words and link to a source. I've only submitted one piece of news ever, but it doesn't bother me that there's now a restriction.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is not to avoid the discussion, but to avoid copying the content.

If you don't feel that it's something that can be re-written, just put the link and a sentence or two about the subject explaining what the article is.
Or you could put almost irrelevant sentences and the link like [member='Gahars']

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Plagiarism is plagiarism no matter what section it is in, so no, this rule applies forum wide.

Surely it's not plagiarism if you put it in a quote / paragraph box and make sure you give a source? If anything that's free advertising for the site you're linking to.

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States

Surely it's not plagiarism if you put it in a quote / paragraph box and make sure you give a source? If anything that's free advertising for the site you're linking to.
Except that then there's a good chance readers won't actually click the link, and therefore they'll benefit from the content without the provider getting anything out of it (like any kind of ad revenue).
So from the content provider's point of view it *is* theft/plagiarism, and since that's apparently also what it is from the law's point of view, there shouldn't be much of a debate on whether it's acceptable here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel