MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I'm gonna be getting a brand-new Wii sometime soon, and I'm gonna want to hack it to get the Homebrew Channel and so I can play DVD backups of my games. Do I have things right?

Following this guide:
1. Follow all the instructions on the Getting Homebrew and BootMii section
2. Follow all the instructions on PreLoader and cIOS (I'm really cautions, and since BootMii can't be installed as boot2 on new Wiis, I have to install this... from what I understand)
3. Follow all the instructions on Backup Launcher (I might just use the HBC Launch method for simplicity's sake... I don't see any benefit from installing it the other way as opposed to the HBC way except for having to not click one extra menu item)
4. Follow all the instructions on Backing up your NAND (looks... complex.)

I'm kinda nervous about this - if I get a new Wii and brick it, I'll be screwed. Mind you, I could just return it to where I got it (hack it the same day as buying it) if hacking fails and tell them it wouldn't turn on right out of the box. I'm sure that would work.

So, do I have everything right here? And after that, I just rip my games (or download the ISOs of them), burn them to a DVD using a standard burner (like Imgburn), stick a DVD in the Wii, launch the backup launcher in the HBC, and play?

MarioMadness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
looks about right to me mate, never the less come back when ya get it, i personally prefer xzxero's guide over all others.

you'll be fine dude, but be careful, some of the brand new Wii's such as the black console cannot play DVD-R they can only be modded to play via USB so take this into consideration

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
MarioMadness said:
looks about right to me mate, never the less come back when ya get it, i personally prefer xzxero's guide over all others.

you'll be fine dude, but be careful, some of the brand new Wii's such as the black console cannot play DVD-R they can only be modded to play via USB so take this into consideration
In that case, I'll be careful not to get a black Wii. Is there a way I can tell which ones can't play DVD-R?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You might want to follow xzxero's guide instead, should be easier to follow and it's a little bit more up to date. Also you should make the NAND backup just after getting bootmii (although it's not that big a deal if you can't install to boot2 anyways, and it's not complex at all. Just go to bootmii, click the 4th icon and then the 1st icon and follow the prompts.)

Also not sure why the guide lists preloader and cIOS together...they have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. Preloader is your only option for some brick protection if you can't install bootmii to boot2, and cIOS's are basically just what you need to play backups.

So yea first things first, check what system menu your new wii is on by going to the wii settings in the system menu, then proceed with following xzxero's guide and update to 4.2 if need be with his update package and then do the rest of the modifying.

Once you're done and have your cIOS properly installed, you can also install a wad of the backup loader you want to use and launch it from the system menu instead of the HBC if you want. Use NeoGamma for launching disc based games.

Also if you do have a spare external hard drive that you can use for this, you can also use that to run all your games instead of burning discs. USB Loaders also load games over twice as fast as retail discs (while burned discs are half as fast.)

Edit: And as far as seeing if you have a new dvd drive, you can always just still do everything the same and if you're sure you got your cIOS and all installed properly and none of your backup games work, then you probably do have one of the new ones and you would have to resort to USB loading.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I have a LU72 with 4.1U firmware. I'll use the update package that I got from xzxero, and then use the modify package. Hopefully it all works, and my Wii can play DVD-Rs. This will be the REAL test if a complete Wii modding noob (a Wiitard, if you will
tongue.gif
) can use his guide with no problems. I got a 90 day warranty with Superstore, so if I brick it I can return it to them.
rofl2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom