GCN DIY SD2SP2 installed internally soldering a micro sd adapter to GameCube Serial port 2

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a schematic a few days go and got it working based on the pin out of the SD2SP2, an alternative for those that just have this stuff laying around and obviously already know how to solder. i need to order some 22uf capacitors had to kinda "improvise" one.
https://imgur.com/gallery/3VZH4fj
drVad0j.png

how it looks inside for now, i need to clean things up a bit and secure everything.
https://imgur.com/gallery/HJM4rJR
Hope this is useful to someone, lets free up those memory card slots!
Edit: Including a link to some alternate points for adding sd2sp2 adapter to a DOL 001/101 units that lack a physical serial port 2 slot,( i can confirm this works)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gamecube/c...e=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=tp_num_comments

Joeygcpr posted this pinout for dol 101 on the reddit post above.

yuxOrsm.jpg

My own ugly but functional magnet wire job testing these points.
RKwoQkv.jpg

Last edited by wolffangalchemist,

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this anymore reliable than the memory card slot ?
i don't personally have an sd gecko to mess with to test any differences in speed, compatibility wise though gs mes that use slot 2 for stuff works properly now. i just installed this and i load swiss-gc with a dvd-r since i have a xeno installed.
that said, so far everything has been running smooth and i haven't had any issues. I was playing melee with a bunch of mods to it and that crashed but i don't really count that, played regular vanilla melee no issues and some other games like beyond good and evil and some crystal chronicles no issues. reliability wise it loads from sd with no issues every time haven't had a hiccup yet.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Dawbo2065

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i don't personally have an sd gecko to mess with to test any differences in speed, compatibility wise though gs mes that use slot 2 for stuff works properly now. i just installed this and i load swiss-gc with a dvd-r since i have a xeno installed.
that said, so far everything has been running smooth and i haven't had any issues. I was playing melee with a bunch of mods to it and that crashed but i don't really count that, played regular vanilla melee no issues and some other games like beyond good and evil and some crystal chronicles no issues. reliability wise it loads from sd with no issues every time haven't had a hiccup yet.
I've installed it and it works well, bit of stuttering on video, maybe the SD card not fast enough,

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed it and it works well, bit of stuttering on video, maybe the SD card not fast enough,

Try some decent branded class 10 memory, this is the card i have in my gamecube. https://www.newegg.com/pny-64gb-microsdxc/p/N82E16820177015 .
I Used it in my switch till i upgraded to a higher cpacity card hasnt given me any issues. Some games might have small problems with stutter but so what what i have played has been smooth.

D

Deleted User

Wait, this just works with Swiss straight out of the box, just solder the wires to an sd slot and you're good to go?
Really?

How is it for running games? Does it work well? Any stuttering? Any compatibility issues at all so far?
When running from SDGecko, audio streaming games such as Resident Evil 0 would have wild (and very often) skipping. Is THAT an issue (or would it be possible to check?)

I have a modified gamecube already (Viper GC OG), but it's a huge pain in the balls to burn games for it.

Would it maybe be possible to make a jack to plug straight into the external socket instead, so it's non-intrusive?

Any chance of a video so we could see it in action?

Last edited by ,

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
How is it for running games? Does it work well? Any stuttering? Any compatibility issues at all so far?
It's the exact same as using an SD Gecko.
When running from SDGecko, audio streaming games such as Resident Evil 0 would have wild (and very often) skipping. Is THAT an issue (or would it be possible to check?)
Resident Evil Zero does not utilize streaming audio.
Would it maybe be possible to make a jack to plug straight into the external socket instead, so it's non-intrusive?
That's what it was to begin with: https://github.com/citrus3000psi/SD2SP2
Any chance of a video so we could see it in action?

D

Deleted User

Wait a minute, so just solder an sd card female port to those pins on the board and
It's the exact same as using an SD Gecko.

Resident Evil Zero does not utilize streaming audio.

That's what it was to begin with: https://github.com/citrus3000psi/SD2SP2

Oh.... I was under the impression that RE0 used streaming audio. Might be thinking of something else though.
Oh well.

Still, this is pretty awesome. I think I'll mod my GC with this over the weekend. I have an SD card reader I can rip the slot out of and stick it in the bottom of the console's front somewhere.

Thanks very much for this info, much appreciated and can't wait to give it a try :)

Dawbo2065

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes if you disable alternate patches on the game settings before loading, you will get the music in crazy taxi etc.. don't disable in the main settings otherwise it's still enabled for each game..
Works for all slots..

Last edited by Dawbo2065,

Arnold101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the old read patches with the SD2SP2, which support streaming audio. Just disable the alternate read patches.
i know but games runs worse, example soul calibur 2 slow as hell, video freeze and game play stutter etc

when new patches will be added to sp2? they works on memory card slot (no old patches) or not like sp2?

Last edited by Arnold101,

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
i know but games runs worse, example soul calibur 2 slow as hell, video freeze and game play stutter etc

when new patches will be added to sp2? they works on memory card slot (no old patches) or not like sp2?
Soulcalibur II doesn't use streaming audio. Keep them enabled for that game?

I don't understand the other questions.

Arnold101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soulcalibur II doesn't use streaming audio. Keep them enabled for that game?

I don't understand the other questions.
i use pal iso, with alternate read don't work, with old read patch works but slow, intro crash, fightings stuttering...
the other question was sd from memory card slot do not have audio streaming enabled on alternate read patch like on sp2? You are on discord?

Also, why swiss report false "audio streaming game" message when the game is not an audio streaming one? example soul calibur and others..

Last edited by Arnold101,

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
i use pal iso, with alternate read don't work
Works for me.
the other question was sd from memory card slot do not have audio streaming enabled on alternate read patch like on sp2?
Correct.
Also, why swiss report false "audio streaming game" message when the game is not an audio streaming one? example soul calibur and others..
Because that's what the game developers set in the disc header.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over