Homebrew [DISCUSSION] New Super Ultimate Injector (NSUI)

jdsteel7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For GBA, those are the only two options. Small letterboxed or fullscreen blurry, it's just not physically possible since the 3DS is 1.5x the resolution of the GBA so better scaling isn't possible.

For SNES it should be more or less pixel perfect I think, the SNES outputs at 240p and that's what the 3DS is too. If there's any scaling it's probably just horizontally scaling to the proper aspect ratio of 4:3 since due to the way CRT TVs work the SNES outputs an image that is 8:7 using square pixels, however CRTs don't display pixels like a digital display so that 8:7 image is actually drawn with non-square 'pixels' at 4:3 aspect ratio. There might be some option somewhere to choose between square pixels and scaling 4:3, but I'm afraid I'm not sure exactly.
Okay, thanks for the reply, good info! That's what I figured about GBA games. Seems for now my best options are to play on my DSi XL and my actual GBA if I want the clearest picture.
Regarding the SNES, I will definitely have to look into whether there is a square picture/4:3 scaling option in NSUI. I did a recent full playthrough of my 3ds-injected Earthbound (with the MaternalBound vanilla+ rom hack- highly recommended btw), and at the time it looked really clear and crisp but I booted it up again today and the text did look a little fuzzy. Could totally be just my mind playing tricks on me or perhaps the original game looked that way? I attached a couple of screenshots. The last one is a screenshot (with the Teddy Bear on the left) I grabbed from Google for comparison.
Am I just nitpicking too much? Probably :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 161
  • EB screenshot.png
    EB screenshot.png
    12 KB · Views: 165

MANGOM1LK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a different injector floating around with a more up-to-date SNES9x core? The current one is 1.30, but NSUI uses 1.21. That inaccurate audio emulation is really annoying. ^^; Trying to play a SMW romhack which uses SA-1. (Or, is CATSFC worth a try? I did try Plus once and it was just crashing for me unfortunately.)

seriffic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to extract and rebuild a CIA, when I drag the .cia to the window the cursor changes to a circle with a bar through it and nothing happens. I have tried this with both beta 28 and 27 on Windows 11. Is there another way to extract and rebuild a cia? Thanks.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Asdolo This is a great program, but I've found this issue is occurring for me as well with the latest beta 28 build:

Hi Asdolo! I'm very appeciate for your work on the application! But I have some questions!
1)The problem in colorizing and palettes. Changing the 3rd palette doesn't do anything, it does in the program, but not when installed on the 3DS! I can't configure it properly!
On beta 28, when injecting a Gameboy rom and applying custom pallets the second darkest color on the alternate pallet does not change from default.
View attachment 225074

This is what I'm experiencing as well, no matter what you change an alt palette to for a Game Boy game, when you switch to the alt palette, the third color defaults back to the green it was by default.

Now this is by no means a pressing issue, it's just old Game Boy games, and it sure doesn't look like you're actively working on this anymore, but all the same is it possible that you could push a new update to fix this little issue? I know it's been a few years since you touched it at this point, but I really would appreciate the fix.

EDIT: Using Beta 27 instead of 28 does fix the issue. Seems something got a little broke between versions. But I dont' seem to be missing any features by using 27 instead of 28 (I mean I see no options for the ghosting effect, but the result seems to indicate that ghosting is simply turned off with no option to adjust in 27, which is what I want anyway, so it's all good).

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: IceBlueLugia

basurismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello to all people of the forum. I have a question regarding the program. When I try to put a full color banner using a 256X64 full color image on the 3DS console the banner appears GRAY. What is the problem? How should I configure the program so that this does not happen?
Captura 1.png
Captura 2.png
Captura 3.png
Captura 4.png

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP

AlineP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it possible to inject GBA VC games on the bottom screen? The bottom screen has better quality than the top one(on my 3DS).

MIsterZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some issues with a Pokemon Emerald Inject with some of the graphics that appear in the game. The area transition title that shows when entering towns is partially transparent for some reason. And the party interface backgrounds are also transparent for some reason. I haven't played much of the game so I don't know if anything else is affected as of yet.

I've tried troubleshooting it myself but I haven't been able to figure much out.

Things I've tried:
  • At least 3 different roms
  • Running the rom on emulators doesn't have the issues
  • Newer version of NSUI (beta28 and before that beta26)
  • mGBA forwarder injection method(this works without the graphical issues, but has bad sound issues when running)
  • Pokemon Leaf Green inject runs perfectly without these problems.

Attachments

• IMG_20220415_144809406.jpg
    IMG_20220415_144809406.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20220415_145134560.jpg
    IMG_20220415_145134560.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 158
Last edited by MIsterZ,

LingFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Anyone knows how to fix the following error?
Code:
the request was aborted: could not create ssl/tls secure channel"
It happens every time I click on either Download from database buttons.

ziedriche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
How do I make the sleep patch work with FF Tactics Advance? It's on the compatibility list but L+R+Select doesn't do anything for me ingame.

doha057

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Is there an option to add custom frames at the edges, in the perfect pixel mode of GBA games, as in Gameboy and Gameboy Color games?
For GBA, GBC and GB games, press and hold Start before booting a game for perfect pixel mode, keep it held until the game boots up. GBA game will never have borders.

Tijs0289

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is there a different injector floating around with a more up-to-date SNES9x core? The current one is 1.30, but NSUI uses 1.21. That inaccurate audio emulation is really annoying. ^^; Trying to play a SMW romhack which uses SA-1. (Or, is CATSFC worth a try? I did try Plus once and it was just crashing for me unfortunately.)
I was wondering the same i was surprises to have 1.21 version which hasnt got all menu options and wasnt installed, just wanted to use a forwarder and switched back to not using one. Also several fixes in 1.30 would like to use it with forwarder option using NSUI or alternative as well

harvestlua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone had any luck running NSUI on Linux? I followed some instructions for running it under WINE but keep getting a variety of errors which I struggle to understand... it could be due to my own lack of comprehension of WINE etc but curious if anyone here has any insight. I'm on Linux Mint 20.3 FWIW

Ragolay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
First of all: I'm quite a noob in gbatemp and I don't know if I'm making a mistake with this post, if someone has explained it before or better than me, but my intention is only to help. Be nice to me :)

Had a problem with GBA injections. The footer did not appear.
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-12 at 2.10.41 PM (1).jpeg

I read this post (https://gbatemp.net/threads/discussion-new-super-ultimate-injector-nsui.500376/post-9423619) from @KayaGoldWarrior and understood the problem.

I understand (please, this is just an assumption, since my knowledge on the subject is quite limited and I don't want to take anything for granted) that I extract a CIA already created in the NSUI, the 13 banners contained in the folder "ExtractedBanner" from the CIA that correspond to a different language, are all in USA_EN. Some of you have no problem with your GBA footers made in NSUI because your console is USA, but many others have it in EUR and that means that they will never read any of the 13 footers.

I'm writing this because I found an easier method than the one @KayaGoldWarrior recommends after reading @FONZD's wonderful tutorial (https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-create-2d-3d-banner-smdh-with-ba-gui-nnertool.406433/).

The method that @FONZD explains in the last two pages of the "HOW TO" PDF is perfect, but if we are NSUI users who use the GBA banner that comes with the same program and that makes the footer invisible, we can use the same NSUI to extract and rebuild the CIA without using the Decrypt9WIP/ba-GUI-nnertool.

Simply: NSUI 28 Beta > Tools > Extract & Rebuild > Drag and drop any CIA file you want to fix > Extract CIA > Open extract folder > Go to the "ExtractedBanner" folder > With a hxd editor fix the 13 banners to their correct language (the correct languages are on the last page of the @FONZD "HOW TO" pdf) (depending on the hxd editor you use, it may create .bak files for you. In that case you delete them manually, although I don't know if they delete themselves) > rebuild the CIA > open again the extract folder > now you will see that there are two CIAs: the original and the edited > delete the original and save the edited > close NSUI

We now have a CIA with all 13 languages corrected, so our EUR console will read the EUR_XX footer (in case your console is JPN, it will now read JPN_JP banner9).
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-29 at 11.08.15 PM.jpeg

Those of you who have read @FONZD's "HOW TO" pdf will notice that the steps are very similar. I recommend his tutorial for more personalized things, but if it happens to you like me, that your only problem is an invisible footer, I think (humbly) that this method is simpler: your problem comes from the NSUI and it is the NSUI that solves it, without the need for more programs or to worry about the banner.bnr

Lastly, I want to thank @KayaGoldWarrior for being the one to show me that the invisible footer was fixable. To @FONZD for his great tutorial and because 90% of this method is based on his. To @Asdolo for the great NSUI. To @tomx86 for having answered thousands of questions with infinite kindness.

And to you for reading me. Have a nice day :)

Last edited by Ragolay,

Sapercarat

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
donloaded the injector and worked like a charm....i had the problem that when the pokemon ruby & sapphire game was launched in virtual console (3DS), a whitescreen appeared and the game freezed. used a different injector, which didn't include the savefile. i can finally play them thanks to NSUI. Useful also to have all types of consoles and formats :) Thanks man!

Sapercarat

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
donloaded the injector and worked like a charm....i had the problem that when the pokemon ruby & sapphire game was launched in virtual console (3DS), a whitescreen appeared and the game freezed. used a different injector, which didn't include the savefile. i can finally play them thanks to NSUI. Useful also to have all types of consoles and formats :) Thanks man!

RueGorE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I got Beta 27 and, for some reason, Game Gear, Video, TurboGrafx, and Web Page aren't selectable. Why is that?
Try using Beta 28 instead.

On another matter, has anyone had success extracting the manual from an official Nintendo VC game and transplanting it into your own VC inject CIA? I managed to get the "Manual" button to show up when I copied the complete contents of /temp#/extracted/ExtractedManual/*.* and /temp#/extracted/CustomManual.bin and /temp#/extracted/DecryptedManual.bin and /temp#/extracted/HeaderNCCH1.bin to my own extracted CIA then rebuilt it, but when I select the Manual button in the 3DS menu it crashes the system. Launching the VC however, works fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: