Hacking Disconnecting/Reconnecting DVD ribbon cable

JonoX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just took apart my Wii to have a look and get ready for a Wiinja install. I took out the white cable connecting the dvd-rom, but in doing so I also disconnected the ribbon cable at the same time (without pressing anything to disconnect it). At first I was scared, thinking I'd destroyed the Ribbon cable, but then realized it's normal for the cable to come out like that.

But now I'm not so sure. How exactly does the ribbon cable reconnect? Do I just stick the ribbon cable into it's socket and push that brown clamp down? Thanks!

JonoX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I figured it out, just put the cable in and clamp it down. Phew
biggrin.gif

But damn, I'm really having second thoughts on modding the Wii myself now, very tiny points (compared to the Xbox).

modmanwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do you undo it? I broke my clip and broke the end off the ribbon itself, so now i hafta line it up perfect and tape it in....

hows the best way to do it? I cant find a good video on how to do it, theone I used to do it didnt show it and i broke my cable

JonoX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're supposed to flick the clip up to slide the ribbon cable out (using a fingernail or a small tool), and then clamp it down to keep the cable in securely.

I'm lucky I didn't break the clip myself!

instigator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know why anyone disconnects this cable. You can do the mod without disconnecting it. You only need to do the white cable.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There were many, many people who messed up their ribbon cables for the Viper GC and the connectors on the main Viper GC board and programmer board since they didn't know to unlatch them first. I hope not as many people do the same thing to their Wii. It's obvious once you've seen somebody else do it, but most of the tutorials just skip over that step. It's just assumed you know how if you're poking around in the consoles these days.

Sorry 'modmanwii', if you want it back to perfect condition you'll have to replace the ribbon cable and the clasp -- Or you can just replace the ribbon cable and tape the clasp/latch as you are currently doing -- Or just try and expose more contact area from the end of the ribbon cable -- Or just forget about what it looks like inside the Wii and be happy it's working.
grog.gif

modmanwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had it lined up perfectly and taped down but the tape came undone.. i think im gonna get it taped down again after i modit and hot glue the tape down or something...

modmanwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone know where i could get a replacement ribbon cable for it? online i mean

or what kind exactly it is so i can look?

monyt0ntherun

Trophies
XP
Country
I dont understand why people are removing the cable, i have taken apart my Wii 3 times now and never had to remove the DVD ribbon, there is enough room to lay it flat, just remove the other white connector.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1