Hacking Disc swap

Littlegreenmen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i was thinking if it was possible some how to let the wii read a original game, so drive flips into 6x speed than some how switch discs with a backup so you get 6x speed or does that just sound crazy.

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
It would have been great if the wii was a bit like the PS2 so that you could use something like SwapMagic but I don't really see the point cause modchips exist and softmods too. Even though softmods load at 3x it seems just like 6x speed

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
I really dont get the the fuss over 6x

Why does everyone want it? At 3x nearly all wii games run exactly the same. In the cases where they don't, 6x would make such a pathetic amount of difference. Why does it matter?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
hughjass said:
I really dont get the the fuss over 6x

Why does everyone want it? At 3x nearly all wii games run exactly the same. In the cases where they don't, 6x would make such a pathetic amount of difference. Why does it matter?

Well a few games definitely suffer from it. Bully for example. That game has long loading times, even retail discs. But through backup loader, it's even worse. Most games run with acceptable loading times, but often I notice a few seconds of extra loading time

Popopinsel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know anything about Wii hacking & stuff as well but wouldn't it be possible for the backup launcher to buffer cutscene videos into the Wii's memory or onto sd-card and from there read it at full speed?

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popopinsel said:
I don't know anything about Wii hacking & stuff as well but wouldn't it be possible for the backup launcher to buffer cutscene videos into the Wii's memory or onto sd-card and from there read it at full speed?
That's something that the game would have to be coded to do, and probably already does.

QUOTE(hughjass @ Feb 21 2009, 07:13 PM) I really dont get the the fuss over 6x

Wario Land Shake It is a good example. The FMVs skip A LOT. Imagine playing a game like Tales that has important FMV cutscenes and having to put up with the skipping and stuttering.
Another example is No More Heros, the load times on it are horrible compared to retail.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sound is also an issue. I can't even survive James Bond.
Also, online is slightly laggy (VERY slightly)... like in COD I can slit some guy and it won't register for about a 1/2 second.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but you can purchase the game legally, then play it at full speed. Sounds like an easy solution to me, and it requires no technical know-how.

Seriously though, for all the games you can get for free, just purchase the few that you are dying to play at full speed. It's usually worth it.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it doesn't help your case to pirate it. You should explain to them why you feel you are mature enough to play it and if they still don't agree then do what you should do, not play it. Tell them about how you could hae got the game and played it behind there backs without them finding out, but instead you thought you would try and be adult about it and reason with them. Hell, in the end you can always go back to doing what you are doing now, but even if they say no they will still respect you for being open with them. Alot more so if they catch you with a copy of the game you've been hiding.

celebraces

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.celebraces.com
XP
Country
Yeah, I'm not much a fan of WaW either. But that's beside the point...

Games like GHIII and (presumably) GH:WT need to be paused at the start of every game, otherwise the game goes out of sync. This makes playing online virtually impossible. I wanna hear more about this swap method. What were the results?

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no swap method. Have either of you ever even opened up a Wii? The drive is slot-loading and has a lock-in mechanism that holds the disk in place. This is to allow the drive to load a gamecube mini disk and not scratch the hell out of it when it goes to spin it. There is no way to take the top off the drive without completely stopping the drive from stabalizing the game disk and the end result would be one really fucked up disk. Plus Wii games don't load like Playstation games (where the swap idea came from) do, they use a main AES key to decrypt the title key. Unlike the PS2 that verifies the signature of the title then boots the game files, the Wii then moves onto another step of verification. This is where the Wii is not able to do a disk swap. As stated above, after the PS2 goes through the verification process you have an extremely short window of opportunity to swap the disk before the console boots the main game files. On the Wii, the console uses the games title key (which was decrypted by the main AES key on the Wii) to decrypt the games main files.

So if you followed that correctly then you now see that even after the game title is verified by the master key of the console, the title key is then used to verify the game contents. So if the contents of the disk change, then they can no longer be verified by the master key.

The title ID is also what is used to verify and access saved game data. This would make it so that even if you could successfully swap a disk, then you could not successfully save that game, as the save verification would fail.

So again if you enjoy GH:III and WT so much, buy the game. Then you can play it unhindered all you want.

Some good reads to help you better understand the Wii's security process:
TMD File Structure
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Tmd_file_structure

Wii Disk
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiidisc

Wii Security
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Security

celebraces

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.celebraces.com
XP
Country
I have the game, but I don't want to scratch my originals. I thought that was the point of a backup loader.

Thanks for clearing that up. It just seemed like a swap method could have been close to working from what was said earlier

wpilgrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jinxvorheeze said:
There is no swap method. Have either of you ever even opened up a Wii? The drive is slot-loading and has a lock-in mechanism that holds the disk in place. This is to allow the drive to load a gamecube mini disk and not scratch the hell out of it when it goes to spin it. There is no way to take the top off the drive without completely stopping the drive from stabalizing the game disk and the end result would be one really fucked up disk. Plus Wii games don't load like Playstation games (where the swap idea came from) do, they use a main AES key to decrypt the title key. Unlike the PS2 that verifies the signature of the title then boots the game files, the Wii then moves onto another step of verification. This is where the Wii is not able to do a disk swap. As stated above, after the PS2 goes through the verification process you have an extremely short window of opportunity to swap the disk before the console boots the main game files. On the Wii, the console uses the games title key (which was decrypted by the main AES key on the Wii) to decrypt the games main files.

So if you followed that correctly then you now see that even after the game title is verified by the master key of the console, the title key is then used to verify the game contents. So if the contents of the disk change, then they can no longer be verified by the master key.

The title ID is also what is used to verify and access saved game data. This would make it so that even if you could successfully swap a disk, then you could not successfully save that game, as the save verification would fail.

So again if you enjoy GH:III and WT so much, buy the game. Then you can play it unhindered all you want.

Some good reads to help you better understand the Wii's security process:
TMD File Structure
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Tmd_file_structure

Wii Disk
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiidisc

Wii Security
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Security

btw thanks for the info I'm a mechanical engineer and finding out how things work is like crack for me just gotta know it
tongue.gif
. Enjoyed your explaination and the links!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i heard obs makes gd lag alot