Hacking Disabling Signature Checks

vinstage

sweg
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Question: Out of curiosity (and the fact I don't fully understand CFW) would it ever be possible/is possible to skip signature checks for CIA's in FBI without CFW??

I tried installing CFW via the 3ds.guide but failed miserably and ended up getting stuck in 2.1, luckily I had uploaded a backup of my sysNAND so that was restored promptly.

Last edited by vinstage,

vinstage

sweg
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Which part did you fail on?
successfully completed the 2.1.0 ctrtransfer, then installed all the .bin files in the next step. Double checked each file required. (So basically completed the prep work)

Then went onto booting arm9 'Go to http://2xrsa.3ds.guide on your 3DS' but it came up with an error about not finding payload_1.bin and payload_2.bin.

I gave up there ultimately as I'd spent most the day on this (I work pretty slowly) and I was pretty tired, then proceeded to stupidly update my system via system settings and remove ALL the files related to arm9loaderhax (Luma3DS, FBI ect) and only left fasthax, safehax and homebrew (which was there originally)

Luckily, I backed up my sysNAND onto my laptop, so I managed to recover that via decrypt9, but yeah.

After updating my system via system settings, I still had soundhax on my emuNAND so homebrew was there but all previous work from 2.1.0 ctrtransfer to booting up the url was gone. Still have the files sitting in my downloads folder and my uTorrent, but other than that my 3DS SD card is back in it's original state before the whole CFW install attempt. :'P

Last edited by vinstage,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Question: Out of curiosity (and the fact I don't fully understand CFW) would it ever be possible/is possible to skip signature checks for CIA's in FBI??

I tried installing CFW via the 3ds.guide but failed miserably and ended up getting stuck in 2.1, luckily I had uploaded a backup of my sysNAND so that was restored promptly.
Short answer: yes
Long answer: Make a signature bruteforcer and wait millions of years until a valid one is found, then you can install it :P

You know that stopping in the middle of the guide can cause a brick right?

Reactions: Skyshadow101

vinstage

sweg
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
You know that stopping in the middle of the guide can cause a brick right?
Yeah, I realise that now and felt really stupid afterwards, honestly. I wish I'd just ignored my tired ass and continued on trying to find a resolution to the payload error, but luckily my console seems to be okay, my data is all there, including a lot of my physical game card data.

Want to say I'd try CFW again but, I'm slightly concerned I'll mess up, I suck at that kind of thing in all fairness. I learn quite slowly, it took me months to figure out I was using really badly pirated CIAs in FBI. :/

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well isn't there a pasta like cfw for the newer firmwares? Its not impossible to install a temp cfw. Which all current cfw is actually temporary. They patch OFW when the arm9 payload I'd executed with ARM 9 access. The guide is just a guide to install the arm9loaderhax entry point which gives arm9 milliseconds after boot. Which allows the Luma payload to be run and patch the ofw. In short there isn't a true custom firmware. Just a "SIG patcher"

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: Out of curiosity (and the fact I don't fully understand CFW) would it ever be possible/is possible to skip signature checks for CIA's in FBI without CFW??

Its possible by editing the source of FBI, but they're there for your protection. Bad sig=bad CIA, which would have been a brick if it didn't stop the install, since its going to NAND

vinstage

sweg
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Its possible by editing the source of FBI, but they're there for your protection. Bad sig=bad CIA, which would have been a brick if it didn't stop the install, since its going to NAND

Ah, okay. Thank you, I guess that answers my question shortly.
In all due respect it was out of curiosity, thanks.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you could install a CIA without a valid signature without a CFW, you wouldn't be able to run the game/program the CIA installed without a CFW. The 3DS checks signatures both at install time and run time.

Your issue regarding payloads when installing A9LH means you almost certainly didn't extract the contents of the A9LH release archive (found here) to the /a9lh folder on your SD card. I assume if you try again and do that step properly, you would be successful.

Last edited by Cuphat,

vinstage

sweg
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Even if you could install a CIA without a valid signature without a CFW, you wouldn't be able to run the game/program the CIA installed without a CFW. The 3DS checks signatures both at install time and run time.

Your issue regarding payloads when installing A9LH means you almost certainly didn't extract the contents on the A9LH release archive (https://github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/releases) to the /a9lh folder on your SD card. I assume if you try again and do that step properly, you would be successful.

Okay, thanks, that explains quite a lot on the whole CIA thing.

Think I'll try reinstalling the CFW again this weekend then, thanks a lot for this information. Must've been something I overlooked, stupidly. Noob mistakes. :/ Thank you :')

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-