Hacking Disabling Flash Drive Sleep Mode

sroemr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to disable the sleep mode of flash drives? Picked up a couple and using them on my Wii however anytime I try to load something it just hangs. Eventually it will start working, but takes a bit. Is there a way to disable sleep settings? snes9x, nintendont, genesis plus gx, everything. I know the Wii U has an option but I can't locate anything for the regular Wii since a google search just pulls info for the Wii U.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think flash drives generally have a sleep mode. They don't have moving parts. :P Many of them just don't work on Wiis.

sroemr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is that it works fine if the Wii has been on for a bit but if it was disconnected or the Wii was off then nothing will load at first, then some things load that don't require as much work like snes9x, then nintendont will eventually work after it's been on for a bit. This is a Lexar 64gb 3.0 flash drive, tried a few of them since I bought them on BF for cheap. Also have a PNY 64gb 3.0 I may try, but won't know if it has issues until it sits idle for awhile.

If I put them in the computer first then the Wii, they seem to work fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there a way to use a SD card above 32gb with the Wii? I thought I saw a way on here the other night, but figure can just get a 64gb SD instead

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, if a flash drive does go to sleep for some reason, it would be the fault of the drive's controller and not anything software would fix. you could see if you can edit the controller firmware to disable this mode. I have almost all my USB flash drives modded to show up as fixed disks so I can see multiple partitions in Windows, which normally will not let you see more than one partition on a removable flash drive.

I have no idea if it is possible to change sleep settings, I just think it is worth a look.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol