Hacking Directly fixing 002 error at Wii system level

/\/uLL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is a repeat question, checked stickies and search function and didn't come up with a clear answer. I am looking for whatever file(s) I could install to the Wii to permanently fix the 002 error I get with some more recent games. I can use the usual 002 fix integrated into NeoGamma; and I also have been extracting the main.dol via wiiscrubber, 002 fix patching it with GWP and then reinjecting the main.dol into partition 2 to fix the "002 disc read error" game by game as I burn them.

What I am trying to accomlish is to patch my Wii directly to correct the 002 read error. It's not really a pressing issue; but after investing some time trial and error style installing/uninstalling different .wads from the update partition of games giving me the 002 error to see if I could fix it myself, I am now looking for help accomplishing this on a 4.0u ntsc using cios rev13a.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think cios rev13b has a different implementation of fixing the 002 error that is supposed to work automatically, but I think this only works with certain loaders and may or may not have other bugs with it. Shouldn't hurt to try it, not sure what else would do it though.

/\/uLL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originally updated from cios rev7 to rev13b when trying to get ghostbusters working (still got green screen or 002 error with 13b); but learned that rev13a was getting much better success rates so I went back to 13a and just deal with safety screen hangup now.

Just want to clarify: New cios versions should be installed on IOS249, right? Cause in the initial virgin 4.0 softmod guide I followed cios rev7 is installed to IOS 35.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
At the begining the Error002 was because the game wasn't being loaded with the correct IOS, like Need For Speed Underground if it is not loaded by IOS55 (don't remember very well wich one is it
tongue.gif
), it will give this error, then the patch came out, then GWP put the patch in the newest version, then the loaders started to include this patch on the fly (WiiPower mod of Gamma) and then Waninkoko finally created cIOS_r8 wich inclde the patch inside the cIOS, now everything has this patch, but I believe it is done at the game, not at the Wii, otherwise, a patch for preloader would have come by now, ask WiiPower what is it that makes the Error002 exactly, as I'm sure he knows...!!!
smile.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
/\/uLL said:
Originally updated from cios rev7 to rev13b when trying to get ghostbusters working (still got green screen or 002 error with 13b); but learned that rev13a was getting much better success rates so I went back to 13a and just deal with safety screen hangup now.

Just want to clarify: New cios versions should be installed on IOS249, right? Cause in the initial virgin 4.0 softmod guide I followed cios rev7 is installed to IOS 35.

You understood this wrong, you need to downgrade IOS35, so the cIOS_r7 installer can work, but the cIOS gets installed at slot IOS249, use TitleLister to check wich IOSes version you have installed on your Wii, and if you are not using a USB loader, then it is better to use cIOS_r9 or r10...!!
smile.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
/\/uLL said:

All of Waninkoko's cIOS are always installed to IOS249 regardless of what you do. When you installed rev7 you USED IOS35 to install it to IOS249, you didn't install it TO IOS35. When it asks for what IOS to use you basically just need to give it some IOS that has the trucha bug intact. If you're just upgrading your cios that you already have to a new revision, then you would just use IOS249 by convention as that has the trucha bug as well. Originally you don't HAVE IOS249 though so you had to downgrade IOS35 to get the trucha bug on it and use that to install it. For more recent Wiis though you would use WiiPower's Trucha Bug Restorer to get the trucha bug back in IOS36 and use that instead.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
/\/uLL said:
Sorry if this is a repeat question, checked stickies and search function and didn't come up with a clear answer. I am looking for whatever file(s) I could install to the Wii to permanently fix the 002 error I get with some more recent games. I can use the usual 002 fix integrated into NeoGamma; and I also have been extracting the main.dol via wiiscrubber, 002 fix patching it with GWP and then reinjecting the main.dol into partition 2 to fix the "002 disc read error" game by game as I burn them.

What I am trying to accomlish is to patch my Wii directly to correct the 002 read error. It's not really a pressing issue; but after investing some time trial and error style installing/uninstalling different .wads from the update partition of games giving me the 002 error to see if I could fix it myself, I am now looking for help accomplishing this on a 4.0u ntsc using cios rev13a.

The 002 error is a check if 2 memory areas are the same. The 1st is filled by the apploader with some info from the disc(don't know where it is), which states which IOS to use, and the 2nd is filled by the IOS itself on Reload and tells which IOS is loaded. The new/better 002fix just writes the 1st information at the postion of the 2nd one. The old 002 fix patched the main.dol and does not work anymore, since this patch causes a freeze on 002b games. I don't know how to change the system to permanently fix 002. You need either to manipluate the loader, or if you don't use a loader, you need to manipulate whatever you are trying to run.

nabster92 said:
I think cios rev13b has a different implementation of fixing the 002 error that is supposed to work automatically, but I think this only works with certain loaders and may or may not have other bugs with it. Shouldn't hurt to try it, not sure what else would do it though.

cIOS 002 patch == main.dol patch == green screen freeze on 002b games. The only sane cIOS are rev7 and rev13a.

QUOTE(ether2802 @ Jul 16 2009, 03:56 AM)
At the begining the Error002 was because the game wasn't being loaded with the correct IOS, like Need For Speed Underground if it is not loaded by IOS55 (don't remember very well wich one is it
tongue.gif
), it will give this error, then the patch came out, then GWP put the patch in the newest version, then the loaders started to include this patch on the fly (WiiPower mod of Gamma) and then Waninkoko finally created cIOS_r8 wich inclde the patch inside the cIOS, now everything has this patch, but I believe it is done at the game, not at the Wii, otherwise, a patch for preloader would have come by now, ask WiiPower what is it that makes the Error002 exactly, as I'm sure he knows...!!!
smile.gif

The main.dol 002 patch is what causes the green screen freeze on 002b games, so nobody will want that as permanat patch of the system.

/\/uLL

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
The 002 error is a check if 2 memory areas are the same. The 1st is filled by the apploader with some info from the disc(don't know where it is), which states which IOS to use, and the 2nd is filled by the IOS itself on Reload and tells which IOS is loaded. The new/better 002fix just writes the 1st information at the postion of the 2nd one. The old 002 fix patched the main.dol and does not work anymore, since this patch causes a freeze on 002b games. I don't know how to change the system to permanently fix 002. You need either to manipluate the loader, or if you don't use a loader, you need to manipulate whatever you are trying to run.

cIOS 002 patch == main.dol patch == green screen freeze on 002b games. The only sane cIOS are rev7 and rev13a.
Alright, it looks like I'll have to find another issue to vent my tinker-itus on since going with NeoGamma's built in 002 fix (almost too easy) seems to be the best/most reliable solution atm. Also, thanks for confirming what I had loosely collected regarding cIOS revisions; rev13a is the pick for most stable of the recent releases.

I am curious though what effect having different IOSs on your Wii would have. A friend that used the same mod process as myself can load some recent games (The Conduit, TigerWoods10, etc) with default loader settings while I get the error and ergo use the built in fix when trying to load the same game. Gonna have to get him to send me TitleLister stats to constrast them with my own.

mestapho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you see wrong with rev 10 or 12. I have used both with great success. I use 12 because of its compatibility
with usb accesories.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show