Directly Booting Wii Games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by darkfoxtokoyami, Mar 24, 2009.

Mar 24, 2009
  1. darkfoxtokoyami
    OP

Newcomer darkfoxtokoyami Newbie

United States
    Hey guys,

Basically I'm a college student and I use my Wii mostly for playing Smash Bros Brawl. The issue is that because the Wii is moving around constantly, it's difficult to keep track of the wiimotes and keep fresh batteries in them. Is there a way (preferably without modchips) that my Wii can boot directly into a (legit) game disc?

I've poked around the forums and cIOS looks promising, but I could use someone to just point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Dark Fox

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    What you can do is downgrade your Wii to version 3.2 and install an application called Starfall that patches your system menu with various hacks. Among those hacks are a patch to enable a recovery menu when you boot up the Wii while holding the Y button on your GCN controller, and another hack offered by the same app is one that will autoboot whatever Wii game is in your console while in this recovery menu. It also has an update blocking feature so games won't try to make you upgrade back to 3.4.

Anyway, in the end all you have to do is start up your Wii and hold Y on the GCN controller in the player 1 slot and then Brawl will boot itself up shortly thereafter.

I'd imagine Preloader can offer the same functionality, but I've never messed with that and so someone else would have to give you the details.

3. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Or, if you're prepared to run a backup, you can use BootMe off of Wiibrew to patch the iso to autoboot

4. darkfoxtokoyami
    OP

United States
    Thanks guys, I'll look into it.

5. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    There is the starfall hacks/special hacks (On AnyRegion Changer Mod 5) that allow games to be loaded while holding Y on startup. Perhaps look into that?

And also, Id like to see an automatic solution as well. A preloader feature maybe?

Also preloader could be set to autoload a dol, that autoloads a disc if present

Just search preloader and starfall for more info

6. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    You can boot both Wii and Gamecube games without using a Wiimote.

It requires Preloader, the Homebrew Channel, and both the Wii and Gamecube backup launchers on the SD card.

Turn on the Wii and hold reset. Use the Gamecube controller to select "Homebrew Channel."

The homebrew channel is now loaded.

L or R will flip the pages, but if you wish to launch Brawl, use the Wii backup launcher, and if you wish to launch a Gamecube game, use the Gamecube backup launcher.

You are able to launch official retail discs through these loaders.

No Wiimote is required when wanting to play a disc-based game.

7. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Wow I never tought the lazyness get soooooo far, two A button pressing more, really..?? [​IMG]

8. Tichinde925

United States
    Its not being lazy. Its when the only controller you have working is a Gamecube controller.

How is getting up from the couch and turning on the Wii while holding in the Reset Button, going to the Homebrew Channel, and finally selecting the backup launcher being lazy?

Its actually MORE work than it is to just press A (3 times actually).

Being Lazy = doing less work.

9. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Then he should really add the information about playing SSBB using GC Controller.

Needless to say, less information goes to misunderstanding.

So next time TC, say why do you want to do that, this etc.

10. Tichinde925

United States
    He did though, he stated that he wanted to boot Wii games without the use of a Wiimote as the topic title states: Directly Booting Wii Games, Not having to use a wiimote to start a Wii game

Meaning, the only controller that would be used logically would be a Gamecube controller as everything else on the Wii uses the Wiimote. (Excluding USB Instruments but since he talked about "SSBB", then logically, a Gamecube controller would be used).

All the information has already been supplied in this topic.

11. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Starfall is definitely the simplest solution, don't bother even googling preloader. It slows down the boot up process, and then you have to find a hacks.ini somewhere and it's just more hassle...

If you're not going to be using any homebrew, just put the twilight hack (google) for your region on the SD card and starfall installer as boot.dol on to the root of the SD card. Boot up Twilight Princess, take a step backward, wait for text to stop scrolling and you should be at the starfall installer. Do as instructed on the screen and apply "Start rescue-menu when Y is held on 1st GC controller" and "Remove rescue-menu diagnostic disc check" hacks and you are good to go. Google for problems.

12. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I wish that gamecube games autobooted like that as well. It would be handy for when I play Melee.

13. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    How I would do it...:

1)Install Preloader
    2)Get a Forwarder.dol or something like that here...
    3)Install it
    4)Place a boot.dol on the root of SD
    5)Like one of these: libwiigameload, GCBooter (Maybe...Auto-Boot Softchip, Auto-Boot Gamma, etc...)

Should work fine...Lazyness rules!!! [​IMG]

14. darkfoxtokoyami
    OP

United States
    SOLVED:

The resources I needed to solve this included my laptop, an SD card, a legit copy of Twilight Princess, and a wireless (wifi) internet connection.
    • First, I used the Twilight Princess exploit to install the homebrew channel onto my Wii.
    • I had the 3.3U firmware installed on my Wii. I followed this guide to downgrade to 3.2U:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUiHK4-LNlA
    Please note that installing this exploits can potentially brick the system.

Thanks,
    Fox