Hacking DIOS MIOS (Lite)

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at least I'm not the only one :P

would definitely like to have the function back, but not at the cost of compatibility with games on the HDD.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Quick question.... I have an external USB drive with a primary partition being in NTFS format and a secondary partition being in FAT32 format... Will this work if I leave it like that?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
afaik no

I have something you could try
its a bit experimental but should be save if you are careful
http://gbatemp.net/topic/329862-changing-the-partition-order-in-a-faster-way/

edit:
is there any real reason behind DM only supporting the first partition?

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
No. The FAT32 partition needs to be first and primary (see also the first question of the FAQ). :)
Damn.... Is there a way to switch my partition's order so that my FAT32 is first?

Also, can I still play my gamecube retail and backup discs normally? I read somewhere that you can't but that may just be a rumor...

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the only other options involve MUCH moving around of data
like reading and writing the full drive once
with a 300GB drive and 30MB/s speed thats 20ks or ~ 5.6h

or wait for the devs to realise that the constraint is bullshit
and allow reading from 2.-4. primary partitions too (maybe even logical ones)
(idk the reason for this thats why I ask for it)

lovewiibrew

Sifjar is a pirate
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The constraints are there because there is very limited memory that can used to run dios mios. Think of it like this. Say fat32 primary takes up 10kb memory. To have other options would take up 30kb. Those extra 20kb could be used to optimise games or ensure certain ones work. That is how I view it anyway.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

I will wait for that then. I thought it was gonna work seeing as how Dios Mios Booter read the games I put onto the secondary fat32 partition. I clicked A but it was a black screen. :(

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The constraints are there because there is very limited memory that can used to run dios mios. Think of it like this. Say fat32 primary takes up 10kb memory. To have other options would take up 30kb. Those extra 20kb could be used to optimise games or ensure certain ones work. That is how I view it anyway.
Implemented in a non-braindead way in should not take any aditional ram and very litle space in the binary (

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
I use a Wega CRT with component cables, I don't have usblgx set to force progressive, and when DM loads, depending on the game it may come up a little garbled but 9/10 games shows the GC icon with DIOS MIOS perfectly clear (some games, off the top of my head I can't remember, doesn't show the DM logo at all but still loads the game).
Is your Wega SD or HD? Mine is a KV-27FS120 which cannot handle 480p, so the progressive signal is always messed up. I was interested in getting an HD CRT for a while, as they are a great match for video gaming systems, but found it difficulty to justify the weight.

It's a 16:9 HD. I also have 4:3 SD that I've also used component on but, I've never tried DM on my SD tube, sorry.
But to justify the weight, yeah I understand that. My friend and I who moved mine (from 2nd floor sellers place to my 2nd floor) our arms were hurting for days. Though it is so much better than SD and way better than plasma or LCD screens. :D

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anybody ever figure out why installing DM 2.0 stops from loading retail and backup gamecube games? I can't get either to work now and can't figure out how to fix it. If anybody can help, it would be of big thanks..

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did anybody ever figure out why installing DM 2.0 stops from loading retail and backup gamecube games? I can't get either to work now and can't figure out how to fix it. If anybody can help, it would be of big thanks..

it's because Dios Mios installs over the top of the official mios from nintendo.
Obviously something is broken in DM that's not allowing loading or original gamecube games.
At one point original discs were working through DM but with the latest update it is now broken.

You can reinstall the original mios and your original GC discs will work again but loading GC from usb will not work then.
You could also try to install older versions of DM and see what one of them still work with original discs.There has been 4 updates done to Dios Mios 2.0 but i am not sure where you will
be able to find previous versions since they are not on the google code page anymore.

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks icebrg5. I've musta missed this somewhere in the thread. I will just search for the original mios til I can find a version of DM that works.

raddok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my gc controller stops working once the game loads someone help me :L
Do you have original controllers?
No is that a requirement?
It has been noted that some 3rd party gamecube controllers are incompatible with DiosMios.
Seems you have this problem too.

Mine is a 1st party wired controller and I also have this issue, so I don't think it's related to the type of controller people are using.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it is open source psyblade. feel free to fix this and submit a patch. I'm sure it'll get added when you do so
I don't know how to set up a build environment for DM and Im not good at C

So this is entirely untested but here you go:
Code:
Index: ffconf.h
===================================================================
--- ffconf.h    (revision 17)
+++ ffconf.h    (working copy)
@@ -137,7 +137,7 @@
/  and GET_SECTOR_SIZE command must be implememted to the disk_ioctl function. */

-#define        _MULTI_PARTITION        0       /* 0:Single partition or 1:Multiple partition */
+#define        _MULTI_PARTITION        1       /* 0:Single partition or 1:Multiple partition */
/* When set to 0, each volume is bound to the same physical drive number and
/ it can mount only first primaly partition. When it is set to 1, each volume
/ is tied to the partitions listed in VolToPart[]. */

The patch is ridicously easy.
Its already implemented but disabled for some reason.
Asking for that reason it what started the whole argument.

edit:
seems FatFs might use a one revision update to better support it (0.08b -> 0.09)
can't find a diff atm

edit2:
on futher investigation DM seems to use parts from different versions of FatFs (wtfh?)
updating might be a major pita
could explain why it is diabled too
some parts could be simply to old

edit3:
the files have local changes and I can't even investigate them because one of the versions involved was 0.07
and the one fucking version that is not available anymore
probably because the filename was ff7.zip

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice