Hacking Digimon World Re:Digitize - Translation

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, the story is fine actually, my work is mainly on the menu.
Like that for example, I'm sure some rewording could fit but certain item names just can't.
ch2hrqmqgrwx0mazx.jpg

Carsonator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no, the story is fine actually, my work is mainly on the menu.
Like that for example, I'm sure some rewording could fit but certain item names just can't.
ch2hrqmqgrwx0mazx.jpg
For Items like the Super Restore Floppy and Large MP Floppy, would it be worth looking at calling them "S"? so in this case Restore Floppy S? or S-Restore Floppy?
I know you guys hate shortening stuff, and you've probably thought it through, but i thought I'd make the suggestion since the original Digimon World did something similar with their items (SM, Med and L)

laughinman

Unambiguous
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For Items like the Super Restore Floppy and Large MP Floppy, would it be worth looking at calling them "S"? so in this case Restore Floppy S? or S-Restore Floppy?
I know you guys hate shortening stuff, and you've probably thought it through, but i thought I'd make the suggestion since the original Digimon World did something similar with their items (SM, Med and L)

I was about to say the same thing.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Exactly why I don't want to do that. That game had a very poor localization and showed signs of laziness of the guys in charge of translating and localizing. I wanna do it right this time.

Also: With some names it is just impossible or simply retared.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't changing Floppy to Disk work just as well? Given that Floppy Disks did go by just being called Disks for a long time, until CD's came out.
For special instances, like super restore disk, change it to full restore disk.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wouldn't changing Floppy to Disk work just as well? Given that Floppy Disks did go by just being called Disks for a long time, until CD's came out.
For special instances, like super restore disk, change it to full restore disk.

Full Restore sounds pokémon-ish, but I'm ok with Disk instead of Floppy.

laughinman

Unambiguous
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly why I don't want to do that. That game had a very poor localization and showed signs of laziness of the guys in charge of translating and localizing. I wanna do it right this time.

Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth but if your determined you could look into scrolling text. If you can't then perhaps you could replace "Restore" with "HP", it should then work out the same as the "MP" Floppy. Either of those would be perfect in my opinion.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Indeed. I can barely play that game, it's just awful. I seem to recall someone made a better version at one point, but I've never looked into it.

Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth but if your determined you could look into scrolling text. If you can't then perhaps you could replace "Restore" with "HP", it should then work out the same as the "MP" Floppy. Either of those would be perfect in my opinion.
My understanding is that making scrolling text via ASM hacking is incredibly difficult if it's not pre programmed into the game.

Carsonator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I don't mean all items, obviously some of them would sound stupid but just thought I'd throw it out there, but that's definitely a good reason although I never considered the shortening an issue with the original, just the spelling mistakes and wrong Digimon names, i was just happy back then to play Digimon :)
Anyway, thanks for considering anyway lol

It wouldn't be a bad idea except the item doesn't restore HP, it revives a Digimon with full stats, so you'd be looking at calling it a Revive which, again, sounds too Pokemon-ish but otherwise would be out of context.

SolomonGodsSoldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey fellow tamers!

It's been a bit since I've stopped in! (busy with work and such)
I got the day off, being that tomorrow is my birthday, and decided to
in and check on things. I'm excited to see the progress that's
been made since I checked in last and proud of the team. You
guys seriously rock! I wish that Namco Bandai would stop
releasing Japan-only Digimon games, but then, we all wouldn't
have been brought together like this. :yay: I can't wait to see what
strides you all continue to make until this project is complete!
Well, until next time!

Solomon

P.S. This is a question for those working on the project:

Will Veemon be able to digivolve to Dinohyumon?

Slash Angemon as the mega, is my 2nd Favorite digivolution line for Veemon!

Yish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the digimon will have alternate evolution paths like in digimon world 3. It would be nice for most of us,but I am not sure how I would feel about it

Elegant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will Veemon be able to digivolve to Dinohyumon?

You'd first have to ask if Veemon is in the game and by the looks of things, no he isn't. Next you'd have to ask if he's adding custom digivolutions.

Also, to those with comments about translating certain items. He's honoring the naming convention of Digimon World, let him be. Sure you can cut corners on SOME names but what about the others? You don't create an exception for all of them so you STILL have to resize the item window. So why rename a few items if you're forced to edit the window size anyway?

laughinman

Unambiguous
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't mean all items, obviously some of them would sound stupid but just thought I'd throw it out there, but that's definitely a good reason although I never considered the shortening an issue with the original, just the spelling mistakes and wrong Digimon names, i was just happy back then to play Digimon :)
Anyway, thanks for considering anyway lol

It wouldn't be a bad idea except the item doesn't restore HP, it revives a Digimon with full stats, so you'd be looking at calling it a Revive which, again, sounds too Pokemon-ish but otherwise would be out of context.

Oh right, that was a misunderstanding, I haven't played this game in a very long time. If you wanted to get creative with it you could try different translations of what is actually happening when you use it, such as "Rebirth Floppy" (To signify it's power also, you could stick with restore for the weaker version) or you could take a PC take on it and call it a "Back-Up Floppy".

Another thing I should mention is that by sticking with the original (Sm, M, L) you'd also be retaining that feeling of the original and that might not be a bad thing.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You'd first have to ask if Veemon is in the game and by the looks of things, no he isn't. Next you'd have to ask if he's adding custom digivolutions.

Also, to those with comments about translating certain items. He's honoring the naming convention of Digimon World, let him be. Sure you can cut corners on SOME names but what about the others? You don't create an exception for all of them so you STILL have to resize the item window. So why rename a few items if you're forced to edit the window size anyway?

Exactly my thoughts. A scrolling is considered (and wished) from me, but for now I stick with what I can get.xd

Also: While I do want to retain an original feeling I do want to enchance the experience and fix what went wrong the first time. There is no such a thing as a perfect game but fix what doesn't screw things up is essentially not bad I think.

SolomonGodsSoldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That would be kind of silly that Veemon, a season 2 digimon, not be in the game seeing as Jarimon, Guilmon's baby form and season 3 digimon, is.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That would be kind of silly that Veemon, a season 2 digimon, not be in the game seeing as Jarimon, Guilmon's baby form and season 3 digimon, is.

That's exactly how it is. But don't worry only in the PSP version which is actually hackable. In the totally unhackable and probably not being localized 3DS version of this game all versions of Veemon are included. Isn't that awesome?!
*sarcasm switch turned off*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7