Hacking Digimon World Re:Digitize - Translation

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I meant that "gato" is Spanish, and it seems unnecessary to have Digimon names be in Japanese, a la BanchoLeomon, English, like Wizardmon, and then a third language for no reason.

its mostly random decisions with translators and localization. they did it because it sounded better than catmon I'd say.
and they did it whenever they thought the name sounded weird. like piedmon (pied = foot in french i think and footmon is dumb)

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its mostly random decisions with translators and localization. they did it because it sounded better than catmon I'd say.
and they did it whenever they thought the name sounded weird. like piedmon (pied = foot in french i think and footmon is dumb)
Piedmon was also a stupid change. In the original, it's just Piemon, to evoke a pie throwing clown. They changed it to Piedmon in reference to the Pied Piper of Hamelin, but since he's got almost nothing in common with that character, it was another change that was unnecessary at best, and detrimental at worst.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Piedmon was also a stupid change. In the original, it's just Piemon, to evoke a pie throwing clown. They changed it to Piedmon in reference to the Pied Piper of Hamelin, but since he's got almost nothing in common with that character, it was another change that was unnecessary at best, and detrimental at worst.

then again, clownmon or any other word for clown would make more sense than any of these, while Piemon would honestly make me wonder that 'it doesnt even look like a pie'

oh, i just remember, german too. Was Löwemon named Löwemon in english too? Löwe is german for Lion.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then again, clownmon or any other word for clown would make more sense than any of these, while Piemon would honestly make me wonder that 'it doesnt even look like a pie'

oh, i just remember, german too. Was Löwemon named Löwemon in english too? Löwe is german for Lion.
I tend to figure that unless there's a pressing need to change the original name, it might as well be left alone. Piemon isn't a great name, but the one they came up with wasn't really better. Gatomon and Gallantmon are the only changes that are even arguably for the better, and I don't think they outweigh the number of detrimental ones. Changing Omegamon to Omnimon made all of those Ω symbols make very little sense, Yukidarumon doesn't mean even remotely the same thing as Frigimon, and Henry Wong is just objectively terrible. Even if Jianliang is too hard to pronounce, they could have just pulled a Cardcaptors and made Lee, a perfectly normal name in both English and Chinese, into his given name.

Löwemon they left alone, if I remember right.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tend to figure that unless there's a pressing need to change the original name, it might as well be left alone. Piemon isn't a great name, but the one they came up with wasn't really better. Gatomon and Gallantmon are the only changes that are even arguably for the better, and I don't think they outweigh the number of detrimental ones. Changing Omegamon to Omnimon made all of those Ω symbols make very little sense, Yukidarumon doesn't mean even remotely the same thing as Frigimon, and Henry Wong is just objectively terrible. Even if Jianliang is too hard to pronounce, they could have just pulled a Cardcaptors and made Lee, a perfectly normal name in both English and Chinese, into his given name.

i guess you gotta take into account that these localization teams from back in the day probably had little idea that any of this would impact the show in any way. after all, they were most likely just random adults who didn't care, working to translate another dumb cartoon show for children they couldn't relate to. unlike you guys, who're, I assume, deeply invested in it.

Dart6672

Trophies
XP
Country
btw forgot to ask but will the patch work on both the JP version and the PS Store version? I noticed they have 2 different codes so is the content the same?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually its Lowee (eng) and Louwemon (jap) the word Löwe is just its "based off" name

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw forgot to ask but will the patch work on both the JP version and the PS Store version? I noticed they have 2 different codes so is the content the same?

Actually its Lowee (eng) and Louwemon (jap) the word Löwe is just its "based off" name
We have to make different patch for the different versions. The ISOs are similar, but there's a small difference that is important to a binary difference patch. Combine that with the sub and dub version for each, and we're actually going to have to make four patches. Since that would be unnecessarily confusing for people who just want to play the damn game, we're making a custom front end for XDelta. You tell it where the ISO is on your computer, and decide whether you want subs or dubs, and it will apply the right patch based on the ISO's hash, which it checks without explaining any of that to the user. Plus, as long as we were making a custom front end, we figured we'd include some functionality to do an online update and download a newer patch if for whatever reason we end up needing to release a typo fix or something.

Reactions: dimmidice

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well yeah because it's fairly hard to write or even pronounce a "ö" as a non German speaker especially when you gotta work with these レーベモン.
However Löwemon is the correct interpretation for the name. Just look at these Attack names http://puu.sh/ieBiS/d06172c1b7.png these are official Japanese attack names.

Dart6672

Trophies
XP
Country
Well yeah because it's fairly hard to write or even pronounce a "ö" as a non German speaker especially when you gotta work with these レーベモン.
However Löwemon is the correct interpretation for the name. Just look at these Attack names http://puu.sh/ieBiS/d06172c1b7.png these are official Japanese attack names.
Lowemon would sound too much like its japanse name Louwemon plus this one lists both http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Loweemon and states that the name is directly based off the german word for Lion. Personally I agree that the o would be hard without a german accent or fluently being able to pronounce it so they just simplified it a bit. Anyways has anyone else noticed that if his name was Löwemon it would be just as well as Lionmon which would cross it with Leomon (The Lion)

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lowemon would sound too much like its japanse name Louwemon plus this one lists both http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Loweemon and states that the name is directly based off the german word for Lion. Personally I agree that the o would be hard without a german accent or fluently being able to pronounce it so they just simplified it a bit. Anyways has anyone else noticed that if his name was Löwemon it would be just as well as Lionmon which would cross it with Leomon (The Lion)
Which is Why Löwemon is the dieing Leomon of the season.
each season has a Leomon that dies in one way or another and that became a running gag in the franchise.
Adventure - Saber Leomon
Tamers - Leomon
Frontier - Löwemon
Savers - Banchou Leomon
Xros Wars - Mad Leomon

Dart6672

Trophies
XP
Country
Which is Why Löwemon is the dieing Leomon of the season.
each season has a Leomon that dies in one way or another and that became a running gag in the franchise.
Adventure - Saber Leomon
Tamers - Leomon
Frontier - Löwemon
Savers - Banchou Leomon
Xros Wars - Mad Leomon
A bit cruel don't you think? lol anyways I'm starting to feel like there's almost a lack of humanoid digimon vs Dragon/Beast digimon :(

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of like that. Leomon was the most well written character in Tamers, and pretty good in Adventure, but his character really only works because he's a tragic hero. I never finished watching Savers, though. I don't think I even got as far as BanchoLeomon appearing.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You should finish it sometime it's definitely a good show.
you just have to roll with all that punching (same way as you have to roll with bicycles in YGO 5D's)

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is this game getting the full 100% translation? I really like it and definetly want to play it. Or do they ever release the unfinished patch? I appreciate their hard work and I'm surprised by how far they've gotten

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update request, wanna know if you guys are still alive -pokes with a stick-

they have a website thats been linked to in both commets right above yours. judging by it having been updated less than a month ago and their constant activity inside this thread, they're certainly alive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKJyCeQck4