different WiiKey versions?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by screwed, Sep 30, 2007.

1. screwed
    OP

screwed Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2006
    Norway
    Just wanted to know if the WiiKey has been released in different versions?
    Hardware wise I mean, v1, v2... etc.

or as long as I get the original Wiikey.. no matter... I should be fine?

Thanks.

2. ZeWarrior

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    Theres are many Wiikey versions, they all have the exact same name and support the same chipsets. Their mobos are different iirc though

3. sidneyyoung

sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 29, 2006
    Bangladesh
    Some use the atmega8 chip, but most use the atmega8L chip afaik.

There are some small differences betwen these chips, but as far as flashable memory, eeprom space and addresing they are the same afaik.

The '8' version specs state it requires higher voltage (4.0-5.5v) and has a faster processing engine from what i can remeber of the specs. But is often used succesfully off 3.3v inputs.

4. lenselijer

lenselijer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 27, 2006
    Netherlands
    the ones with atmega8 are fakes right? they update fine though, got one from a customer and asked me to install it.

5. Tafunda

Tafunda Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2006
    Saudi Arabia
    Sure the fakes are you okay, but you cant guarantee that they will always be compatible with the updates can you?

6. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

Aug 7, 2007
    United States
    i think the clones will always be compatible. it's the exact same chip just not made by wiikey team. i don't think they will ever be able to make an upgrade that doesn't work with the "clones". both just atmega chips. just that one comes with a sticker

7. screwed
    OP

screwed Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2006
    Norway
    uhm, okey.
    so what your saying.. is that it DOES NOT matter what my WiiKey (original) is like... and as long as the chipset supports it.. its okey?

cause I think I've seen photos of different looking WiiKey's.. they might not act any different... just... look different?

Im thinking about just getting a pre-modded Wii.. and save myself from the gamble of buying a Wii not able to use mod chips.
    and then just hope.. some new technology comes along eventually [​IMG]

8. Lazycus

Lazycus Rotten

Jul 22, 2006
    United States
    I can guarantee it. The clones work fine with the most current wiiKey software. There will be no more updates.

9. Goldcoastr

Goldcoastr Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2007
    goldcoast,AU
    the clones are ok they do work but not as good quality not at all as good as a official wiikey model this is why they cost more then 50cent clones