Gaming Did you know: The 3DS can actually read URLS from a QR code?

RedJiggly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I believe there are not many people yet who know this. And that's a shame, because it can prove helpful in some cases.(for instance, if you have this extremely long URL pointing to a certain image, you can create a QR code for it and make the 3DS scan it.)

How it works:

1. Go to the home screen of your 3DS
2. Press the L or R button, to go to the "quick camera mode"
3. Press the QR button on the touch screen.
4. Scan a QR code with the camera, for instance, this one:
qrcode3077539.png

5. The 3DS will ask you if you want to start your web browser. If you click "Yes" it will go to the website in of the QR code.

This QR code scanner is, as far as I was able to tell, only able to scan URL QR codes and Mii QR codes(in this case, it will give you a message telling that you should scan it from the Mii Maker). Pushmo, Pyramids, and other QR codes will give a "This QR code is not supported" message.(they can obviously be scanned properly from within the respective applications)

I also tried reading a normal text-QR code, but the 3DS will chop it off after the first space (so "hello world!" will become "hello") and also make the 3DS think that it is an URL. This QR code scanner is also unable to read other sizes of QR code.

But more tests need to be done =D.

You can create your own QR codes and try them out on many places on the web, such as here

Try it out!

~RJ

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew about it, but never had a use for it. Hopefully Nintendo will do more with that feature later, I LOVE scanning QR codes! :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: And your own @SylverReZ