Did Nintendo just strengthen anti-piracy checks on their latest games? Discuss

download.jpg

Owners of the Sky3DS flashcart for Nintendo 3DS are starting to sweat because two of the latest 3DS games cannot be played; this is supposedly caused by an upgrade of the anti-piracy checks on the console. The two games are:
  • Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (JP)
  • Fire Emblem If (JP)
The Sky3DS card itself isn't "banned", you can still play other games, but these two won't launch at all. Sadly it seems the card cannot be fully upgraded to bypass these checks. It is assumed that future releases will also bear these upgraded AP checks; we will know when more games are released.

Furthermore, users of the custom firmware on the "old" Nintendo 3DS are reportedly unable to play Animal Crossing (while Fire Emblem functions normally). We will report any additional information on the subject as soon as we can.

:arrow: Source: discussion thread

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay let's damage control this. I have both gateway and sky. Fire emblem just needed to be crytofixed, and I don't play AC but I'm sure just needs the same fix. Fe works fine and even has a translation patch out for it from fans. New games have new encryption, sure, but there's always a fix. If not right away, the usually very soon. FE been fixed since it's release.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I dont own a sky3ds but they should really compensate their customers over this, I would feel scammed If my card couldn't load the games.Specially since the sky3ds sells for more than a used 2Ds.
They never guaranteed 100% compatibility for future games. Also Sky3DS is a shady business. Shady businesses don't do customer compensation!

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I dont own a sky3ds but they should really compensate their customers over this, I would feel scammed If my card couldn't load the games.Specially since the sky3ds sells for more than a used 2Ds.
In that case, every flash card maker ever should compensate. It has always been well known that the Sky3DS could not run modified roms and the cart itself was not updatable. Even the Gateway requires the roms to be patched at the moment.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They never guaranteed 100% compatibility for future games. Also Sky3DS is a shady business. Shady businesses don't do customer compensation!

I mean on my dslite I have a firecard(clone card) that works fine,not that Ive played it in 6 years. But point being here, sky3ds is shady. Gateway bricked consoles out of nerd rage which was completely unprofessional, I don't care if people bought cloned flashcarts. That is ridiculous that they would brick a 3DS that somebody worked hard to buy. I never bought either card, I just patiently waited for CFW and I couldn't be happier. I can't say I can complain about CFW since it is completely free so even if I could only play 50% of games I couldn't complain. However, sky3ds charges people for a sub-par product that at first could only load 10 games permanently. How can sky3ds justify their 90$ price tag if it isn't flawless and has more limitations than CFW?

olshrimpeyes

Your question is bad and you should feel bad
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS purple button coming soon! NEW AP BYPASS!

Also, animal crossing was released years ago......
Why say something like that? Do you have anything substantiate that? Or are you just spreading speculation as fact?

Also Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer was released in Japan last month.

RichHomieSupreme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is that the games still won't work straight away, but will work fine if patched as long as you are using a minimum of 9.5 EmuNAND.

The problem with Sky3DS is that it cannot run modified roms - only unmodified roms, so the patched roms won't work.
So is there a way that new cards could be made to be able to run modified and unmodified roms? Or is that impossible?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But, but, muh games that I didn't pay for to run on GW flashcard ;O;

One of these days, ROMs will be able to be run without flashcards and will circumvent most, if not all AR protection.

I think what broke the 3ds was cheap people and their stupidity. But hey, blame it on gateway :)

That's a myth, piracy users are only a very very small % and negligible when it comes to affecting sales, in fact, there impact is almost nonexistent, I wish people stopped believing that piracy kills consoles or sales in the long run. They don't.

Reactions: Margen67

RichHomieSupreme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But, but, muh games that I didn't pay for to run on GW flashcard ;O;

One of these days, ROMs will be able to be run without flashcards and will circumvent most, if not all AR protection.

That's a myth, piracy users are only a very very small % and negligible when it comes to affecting sales, in fact, there impact is almost nonexistent, I wish people stopped believing that piracy kills consoles or sales in the long run. They don't.
He wasn't talking about sales but people bricking their consoles... Lol

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why would anyone be happy to buy a card that bricked peoples 3DS. Gateway is a waste of money.
I'm very happy and never had any problems with Gateway. They just delivered every time. Maybe not that fast, but they did.

And so should Sky3DS. If they don't, you still have a choice of buying another flashcart.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So is there a way that new cards could be made to be able to run modified and unmodified roms? Or is that impossible?
Sky3DS by design will never run modified roms. It doesn't actually utilise any exploits at all, it just clones a retail cartridge. Not using an exploit means that the cartridge itself has no access to the hardware. It's impossible.

It might be possible that a fix is released for Gateway and CFW since they both have kernel-level access to the hardware, though they can also both use modified roms/

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I figured it could of been a joke. It's just a really shitty way to make a joke, that's dumb rumors get started... I took the possibility that he already heard some rumor and was spreading it
Calm down. It was a good joke (albeit an old one that has been used many times) that anyone who has been in this scene for more than a few months fully gets. (If you don't get it I or someone else will be glad to explain it to you.). As a new member I fully understand how a comment like that would be distressing for you but if you stick around you will start to understand our sense of humor around here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-